Chapala.com Webboard

Telmex Fibre

33 minutes ago, benji's mom said:

Arroyo Alto replaced the copper wiring throughout the development and had TELMEX fiber optic cable installed in all homes.  Speeds vary depending on the package chosen.  Some casas including mine have speeds as high as 98 download and 20 upload.    Very pleased with the project.

Any idea of cost to the homeowners in special assessments etc etc

20 hours ago, lakeside7 said:

Any idea of cost to the homeowners in special assessments etc etc

Each community will vary in cost, and price depends on many variables: how many homes to share in the Assessment, whether you currently have your phone lines on overhead cables or buried underground in conduits, how old your infrastructure is and what hardware additionally may have to be replaced, how far Telmex will have to string the fiber optic cable, and whether or not they will leave the existing copper cable or put the new fiber in the conduit alongside it. It took us about 3 months from signing (and prepaying in full) the agreement until hookup began. Speeds jumped but, like now,  depend on the monthly package your home selects.

• Like 1

I have Telmex for internet and yes a few years back, the speeds were pretty slow. When I complained, the guy at Telmex told me to upgrade my speed by paying $ 435 per month instead of $389. At first there was no great improvement. But today, when I go into my modem to see what speed I am limited to, I see. 

Ancho de banda (ascendente/descendente) [kbps/mbps]: 766 / 19.195

And when I do a speed test I usually get 14 to 15 megabits per second down, which is more speed than I need. Sadly it all depends upon where you live. some of you are able to get much faster Telmex speeds in and/or around Chapala, yet there are other areas where you are lucky to get 5 or 6 mbps down. I guess it all depends upon how close you live to the telmex connection point (DSLAM) and the quality of the wiring between you and your DSLAM card

:

Telmex uses Fiber to eliminate some of the long copper runs from switch to house. This allows faster speeds even with copper to your house and old modem. They also have wired Fiber from switch to new fiber modem in your house in some areas. Both systems improve internet speeds as a rule. Go ask Telmex if they have higher speeds available in your area. Friends in northern La Floresta got ILOX installed and when they went to return modem Telmex said why didn't you ask us as we have faster speeds available in your area. Folks responded we already asked you months ago and you said you would let us know.  So it probably would not hurt to ask (yes again I know) as they don't seem well organized to compete with ILOX.