Chapala.com Webboard

Ilox is still down.

jojana

I have a customer in SAT who just got her iLox late last week. Her phone is getting 33 down, but her laptop is getting 9. My tests convinced me that it is an issue with the modem (TelMex modems have long been know by me to exhibit this kind of spotty connection problem). Unfortunately, it took many many emails before iLox finally began testing, and now that they have replaced the modem, of course the service is still down. So we won't know for a while yet. It must be something serious in the area for them to be offline for so long.

• Like 1

I had Ilox installed last week, and even the tech said that right next to the modem, I was only getting 43 down, far less than the 75-100 I pre-purchased. He said it would get better over the next few hours. It didn't.

In my BR, only15 feet away (but partially through a wall), I am getting 12-19, and on and off. My Telecable gave me much better signal from twice as far away, much better Modem (Arris). I certainly paid for better, and expect better.

I DO, however, show I am getting 100 mps through the Cat5 cable. Odd, unless the Ilox modem is crap. Hhmmm.

A couple of things: regular readers here know that the WiFi capability of the iLox devices is dismal. A third-party router with WiFi is recommended. It must be plugged in to the iLox modem directly via ethernet.

Now, that customer I mentioned earlier. iLox did finally get a man out today to replace the modem,  and the customer is now getting about 66 on all devices. I believe she purchased the lowest tier.

1 minute ago, Honorandfaith said:

I DO, however, show I am getting 100 mps through the Cat5 cable. Odd, unless the Ilox modem is crap. Hhmmm.

As a 'newbie' I suspect that you have not been looking at this Forum in the past. For the last year there have been tons of Posts talking about/complaining that their modem was.... as your suggest.... crap w/respect to wifi signal strength. Decidedly worse than the Telmex. Many folks have installed routers and/or wifi signal extenders behind their iLOX modem to help. 

BTW, the speed/rate of any provider's service is referencing that which is achievable with an ethernet cable AT the modem and NOT the rate that might be achievable using wifi even if it is pretty close to the modem. And recall also that ALL rates are marketed as 'up to'..... hasta.... some speed. 

RickS...I actually HAVE read a number of threads on this, but they can be spread out and when I try to pull up on the "search function", I get an odd assortment of responses. I travel with a nifty D-link extender, a TP Link one, and have an older Cisco single-band router I brought with me, so I will fiddle.

I knew enough about routers to tell my friend who signed up with Telecable to request an Arris router when her crappy Hitron failed, and the difference was amazing. The wifi signal was about 3x more than the Hitron, by my phone app. Of course, now they have retired the Arris ones, and gone to all Hitron. Go figure.

Thx for your response.

So glad to hear Jojana.   About 50% of the cases I see its not in their court.  Which is why patience and courtesy have to rule.  When they do, the problems always get solved. 

On 10/16/2019 at 4:25 PM, luvsdawgs said:

Nothing like putting salt in the wound.

Sorry, that was not my intention.  I have found that if we send an email to noc@mail.ilox.mx if we are having problems, we usually get a quick response.  Again, did not mean to hurt you.

• Like 1