Chapala.com Webboard

Intercam bank in Ajijic

Susan111

Hello :)

I would love to know if you have experience setting up an account and getting a credit card at Intercam, in Ajjijc, such as any recommendations or tips. 

Also, I noticed this bank is classified as a "private bank", but from my research I can't see exactly what that means except possibly the banking is intended for those with high income / large assets, and geared toward wealth management. Any other thoughts are welcome!

With thanks

2 hours ago, Susan111 said:

Hello :)

I would love to know if you have experience setting up an account and getting a credit card at Intercam, in Ajjijc, such as any recommendations or tips. 

Also, I noticed this bank is classified as a "private bank", but from my research I can't see exactly what that means except possibly the banking is intended for those with high income / large assets, and geared toward wealth management. Any other thoughts are welcome!

With thanks

Use the search function because there is a vast amount of info on Intercam on here that will answer any questions you may have. We have been with Intercam for a number of years and they are the best bank here. They are beside the Oxxo in Ajijic and have branches and ATM's all over Mexico.

edit: we have credit and debit card.

Activer outside their building has a sign "Banco Privado". It along with Intercam is similar to Schwab. An investment, stock and bond  licensed brokage house with banking and financial advisors giving clients a hand. Maybe that is why Intercam has the Private Bank distinction in Mexico. It might even be the law here.

22 minutes ago, Kyle said:

I set up an account and got a credit card.  Very easy.  Not just for big money

Good to know, thank you! One of the things I've seen so far just from speaking with banks, is without a credit history, its difficult to prove that without having a credit history in Mexico. Was this part of the process easy as well? 

Just now, AlanMexicali said:

Activer outside their building has a sign "Banco Privado". It along with Intercam is similar to Schwab. An investment, stock and bond  licensed brokage house with banking and financial consulars giving clients a hand. Maybe that is why Intercam has the Private Bank distinction in Mexico. It might even be the law here.

Intercam is a full service bank. I know this because I have been a customer for years even before they were one and just a money exchange[cambio]

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, happyjillin said:

Use the search function because there is a vast amount of info on Intercam on here that will answer any questions you may have. We have been with Intercam for a number of years and they are the best bank here. They are beside the Oxxo in Ajijic and have branches and ATM's all over Mexico.

edit: we have credit and debit card.

Wonderful! So you were able to get a credit card with Intercam in Ijijic?

I too bank at Intercam, what they gave me was a VISA debit card. When I make a purchase it comes directly from my account. I do not get monthly statements or am charged interest on outstanding balances as I have had on credit cards.

You will likely need your passport, proof of residency (temporale or permanente), a bill from a utility company that gives your residential address or a lease in your name with the residential address to open an account.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 5 months later...

Intercam is a relatively new bank. Time will tell how stable it is.

Intercam Banco , SA, Multiple Banking Institution., Intercam Grupo Financiero is a Mexican company formed in 1996 as Intercam. It operates in almost the entire Mexican Republic through 68 branches, [ 1 ] and an Intercam ATM network. It is made up of a group of companies with a track record in the financial sector. Currently they serve more than 50,000 clients in the management of company treasuries and personal wealth investments.

One of the smaller banks in Mexico

• 2 weeks later...

We write a cheque from our Scotiabank branch in Canada and it's in our Intercam account instantly the day that we do it. In other words we have access to our new funds instantly. Usually we don't have the funds in our Intercam to cover the cheque. That's why we do another biggy to top up the account and make it useful for a long time until the next time. We are doing a major reno on our house here so we decided after the first amount we wrote that it would be wise to do another right away, both way bigger than our balance was. No problema. We've been with them about 4 years and we couldn't ask for better service.