Chapala.com Webboard

what do use for grills on a sliding patio door.

JGiff

Hi All

Just purchased a house and it has a sliding glass patio door.  What do people use for protection against someone getting in if the break the glass ? Is there a preferred grill type or hardware type used ?  

I saw some people recommended Beto for iron grills. I have emailed him but just wondered what people use.

TIA

John 

1 minute ago, JGiff said:

Hi All

Just purchased a house and it has a sliding glass patio door.  What do people use for protection against someone getting in if the break the glass ? Is there a preferred grill type or hardware type used ?  

I saw some people recommended Beto for iron grills. I have emailed him but just wondered what people use.

TIA

John 

What did the prior owner use?

https://www.google.com.mx/search?tbm=isch&sxsrf=ACYBGNQU-bphyfxmwNkvNxudo7wCd5N7qA%3A1569691032499&sa=1&q=rejas+de+seguridad+para+puertas+de+patio&oq=rejas+de+seguridad+para+puertas+de+patio&aqs=mobile-gws-lite..#imgrc=T5sFE6RHJ2TIqM%3A

https://www.google.com.mx/search?q=rejas+de+seguridad+para+puertas+de+patio&tbm=isch&tbs=rimg:CU-bBROkRydkIkA61zdO_1noSaRyRzPtlxbqIuZnMw28yrBzPSKu1crB-zS7kKYMIUb8qvGXHcT4fkBrOBatb0z_1APeyXCW9Gs0niKhIJOtc3Tv56EmkRx24DbP86qBsqEgkckcz7ZcW6iBHCvvh5sTiQqyoSCbmZzMNvMqwcEVPnhVjV4KegKhIJz0irtXKwfs0Rloa5shoytVYqEgku5CmDCFG_1KhG6ogzWjDiGJioSCbxlx3E-H5AaEYJblu1mwtTRKhIJzgWrW9M_1wD0RvzO-CJ2av2YqEgnslwlvRrNJ4hFRH5tTRZnlBg&tbo=u&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi9naLXhfTkAhUB7qwKHaYFD5EQuIIBCB0&biw=360&bih=615

This iron worker built and installed  this large protection 2 weeks ago for a rental we have for $7,000 pesos. The thieves broke the window lock easily - 11 AM Sunday morning. The window lock is the same as on patio doors. There is a 9 foot drop down to the sub terrain apartment's patio about 7 feet across. They put a plank or something across the space. He is building a look alike patio door protector for her now. Round bars not square. They can build it from seeing a photo of what you want.

20190912_112846.jpg

20190912_131111.jpg

It sounds like you mean metal bars...not screens to keep bugs out.

The broom handle will definitely keep the door from being jimmied. But the glass in these doors is designed to shatter into thousands of small little pieces to avoid injuries. And burglar with a small hammer or even rock with be in in seconds.

Many of these sliding glass doors come with a slider bug screen built in. The good news is,  the track these screens ride on, can be modified to accept a locking bar/grid system...money is wonderful thing.

Many people have a door like set of bars attached to the house that can be closed and locked. The slider can be left open or closed.

What David describes as "...a door like set of bars attached to the house that can be closed and locked. The slider can be left open or closed." is exactly what I had on my sliders in Ajijic.  The bars opened, closed, and locked like a normal door, and as he said, the slider could be left open or closed.  It was perfect.  Just tell your herrero (iron worker) that's what you want.

If they want... they will get in. You can turn your house into a prison. If they target your house it won't help.  Biggest problem is family & friends of maid & gardener. Even if they are honest they talk about what they see. Also workers you hire see everything you have. Fewer strangers in or around your house the better. 

Best get an alarm system with a loud bell outside, and monitoring or a call to your cell.  Also lighting that turns on with movement. Thieves hate light and sound.

• Like 1

A serious attack by a well equipped gang on a common residence can not be prevented!

The good news: Most thieves are looking for an unlocked door, an open window, in short a simple way in to an unoccupied residence! Low hanging low risk fruit.

A few simple precautions like bars and an obvious well advertised alarm will stop all but the most determined burgler.

• Thanks 1

What did people use where

3 hours ago, JGiff said:

Thank you everyone.  Yes, when I say grills I do mean bars. 

What did people use where you came from? Surely the thieves,robbers, etc. were just as bad, or worse in your area there

?

I lived a number of years in a small interior town in North Eastern Brazil. As in many parts of Mexico, the home structures were right on the street or close and all had walled backyards.

Mine was no different but the unusual thing I noticed...every wall had been topped with mortar with shards of broken glass standing up perhaps 3 to 4 inches tall. It was very intimidating.

One might deduce there existed some huge crime rate but none existed. It's just what folks did.

Rule One: If one builds a solid concrete bunker, steel reinforced with automatic machine guns and a moat filled with alligators, someone can break in.

Rational common sense generally is all that's needed. Get carried away and the pros think you have something very very valuable and they will bring a tank to break down the walls.

What you say may very well be true, David.  But what I heard was, make sure your house is harder to break into than your neighbor's house, so his not yours will be the target. It sounds kind of cruel, but I follow that rule :) 

On 9/29/2019 at 9:59 AM, Hud said:

What did people use where

What did people use where you came from? Surely the thieves,robbers, etc. were just as bad, or worse in your area there

?

Well, where I come from in western Canada the you won't drive around seeing homes walled with razor wire or electric wire on top of those walls. Most homes I have seen in the Lake Chapala area , which I have fallen in love with after one visit, have metal bars on their windows and doors.   Silly me for asking my question.  So sorry if it offended anyone.  Geezzzz. 

Some of you obviously have way to much time on your hands  

On 9/30/2019 at 3:49 PM, slainte39 said:

If you "just purchased a house", wouldn´t whoever you purchased it from, be the previous owner?    :017:

It might be the previous owner but doesn't mean that there was security in place.  I am thinking you and hud go for coffee often. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, JGiff said:

It might be the previous owner but doesn't mean that there was security in place.  I am thinking you and hud go for coffee often. 

You said "no previous owner", so what are we supposed to think ?

Then your "thinking" here is like the rest of your thinking……….WRONG  !!!!!!  Like time management is a personal decision and a couple of minutes spent on you doesn´t bother my busy day.

Hud and I   ????????   I can´t print LOL in big enough letters.

• Like 1