Chapala.com Webboard

Stolen license plate

rollrcoaster

You report it the Ministerio Publico in Chapala. Bring someone who speaks proper Spanish. They will complete a form for your glove box, explaining they are aware, in case a money-hungry transito ever pesters you about it. If a Mexican plate, I assume you go to the license bureau.

9 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

You report it the Ministerio Publico in Chapala. Bring someone who speaks proper Spanish. They will complete a form for your glove box, explaining they are aware, in case a money-hungry transito ever pesters you about it. If a Mexican plate, I assume you go to the license bureau.

Ok, thank you

2 hours ago, rollrcoaster said:

Advice as to what/who to do

Recommend getting these also, cheap and effective:

https://www.amazon.com/Bell-22-1-45915-8-Anti-Theft-License-Fastener/dp/B000SOM9GQ/ref=sr_1_17?keywords=anti+theft+license+plate+screws&qid=1569118866&sr=8-17

1 hour ago, Willie said:

In Mazatlan they would confiscate your rear plate if you had a parking infraction..not sure about Jalisco.

They don't generally take plates in Jalisco for infractions, but if you are involved in an accident or fender bender and don't stop, the victims, if they see you doing it, may follow you and take the plate.  

I went through the process after losing my front plate. As mentioned, the first stop is at the Ministerio Publico in Chapala. They will hand you a form to complete and I think they require 2 or 3 copies be made, so plan for that extra step. Then you go to the License bureau to get a complete new set of plates with matching registration sticker for your car.

I think it took most of the morning to get everything done.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, ea93105 said:

I went through the process after losing my front plate. As mentioned, the first stop is at the Ministerio Publico in Chapala. They will hand you a form to complete and I think they require 2 or 3 copies be made, so plan for that extra step. Then you go to the License bureau to get a complete new set of plates with matching registration sticker for your car.

I think it took most of the morning to get everything done.

Thanks for the info

7 hours ago, Go Solar said:

Good idea.  Who would've thought!