Chapala.com Webboard

A RANT

Ferret

I am so pissed off with Apple that I can't see straight. Why oh why, do they make it soooooo difficult to fix something? I spent 45 minutes on the phone with apple support last night because my iPad is disabled. I was speaking in English to an English speaking tech. Ipad is still disabled. Tonight I get an e-mail IN SPANISH asking about my experience. Like, because I'm located in Mexico, I must speak Spanish. Beyond belief and I unloaded on them, in Spanish, and then apologized that there were no accents but, hey, I used an ENGLISH keyboard. Furthermore, they HAVE my e-mail address but have been sending their codes to strictly my iPad which is disabled and my iPhone which is dead. How they do that, I don't know but my e-mail works just fine on every other ANDROID and WINDOWS product I own. Obviously they CAN do it because I received the e-mail about rating their customer service.

Just for fun, I did a google search using "Apple sucks" as my search parameters. What fun! So many people with the same issues. This article really hit the nail on the head...

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/apr/27/a-brief-guide-to-everything-thats-annoying-about-apple

I will never buy another Apple product. Lesson learned. Rant over.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

The iPad is my hubby's. That's what he wanted and I inherited it. CG provided classes for him to learn how to use it... yet it was supposed to be intuitive. Not. I bought the Iphone because I wanted to use Siri if I fell a distance from the phone and could direct it to call someone for help. Yes it worked but the brand new phone died after 18 months. No one (not even Hall Computers in Guadalajara) can fix it because it has bad antenna AND a problem with an interior chip.

For the last 18 months, I've been using a Samsung S4 that I bought from a friend for a 1000 pesos. Works great.

Been using a computer since '89. Yes, occasionally Windows can have problems but they can be easily fixed. Apple products are NOT easily fixed and their "privacy" issues are draconian.

I expect RVgringo to pipe up about how wonderful his Apple computer is any time now. Each to his/her own. I'm done with Apple.

1 hour ago, Ferret said:

Just for fun, I did a google search using "Apple sucks" as my search parameters. What fun! So many people with the same issues. This article really hit the nail on the head...

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/apr/27/a-brief-guide-to-everything-thats-annoying-about-apple

Excellent article. Every point spot on. I particularly dislike their "more passwords than you have fingers" approach. You would be amazed to know how many customers have no idea which password is which, why they need so many, or wish they could get rid of the "iCloud" login message continually on their screen. Of course, the fact that they often neglect to write them down, doesn't help. But it shouldn't be on them: it should be on Apple to drop this ancient requirement and use something easy for people... in keeping with their "intuitive" marketing BS.

And please, if you have a retired parent, and can't think of anything to get them at Christmas besides a new iPad that they will never figure out, you should rethink your relationship.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

"I am so pissed off with Apple that I can't see straight"

This is probably helpful in avoiding having to see the prevalence of APPLE logo decals adorning so many cars here :)

Anyone else notice them ?

I'm betting many of these folks don't even own a single Apple product . I think its a status symbol of sorts..

Hey, I just received an email from "Apple News", my first ever.

25 minutes ago, mudgirl said:

I've never downloaded a single Microsoft update since getting my new laptop 3 years ago. Set on "metered connection" and they don't automatically update.

I have downloaded every update on my laptop for maybe 10 years on Win 7 and now Win10 upgrade.....never a problem.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

Thanks for that link. But as I read it, turning on metered connection is one of the solutions given and it says any of the solutions will work. So you're saying I need to do something else as well? Because I can tell you that not one Windows update has downloaded using the "Metered Connection". Which I didn't just do for the sole reason of stopping those updates, but because I actually do have a metered connection, so I don't want anything to automatically update.

1 hour ago, mudgirl said:

Thanks for that link. But as I read it, turning on metered connection is one of the solutions given and it says any of the solutions will work. So you're saying I need to do something else as well? Because I can tell you that not one Windows update has downloaded using the "Metered Connection". Which I didn't just do for the sole reason of stopping those updates, but because I actually do have a metered connection, so I don't want anything to automatically update.

I'm willing to bet you are still getting driver updates, security updates, and other non-essential downloads that don't even show up in most places you might look. Yes, metering is one method, but it is not complete. By stopping the Services, you get better coverage. And metering works only on WiFi, I believe, so ethernet connections need a completely different procedure.

1. Open the Start Menu, and type in “regedit”. Do not press Enter.
  2. Right-click it, and choose Run as administrator. Grant it administrative access upon request.
  3. Once it opens, use the left-side navigation to locate HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.
  4. Click the right direction arrow, and find SOFTWARE. Keep doing the same until you reach Microsoft > Windows NT > CurrentVersion > NetworkList > DefaultMediaCost.
  5. Right-click DefaultMediaCost, and choose Permissions.
  6. In the new dialog box, click Advanced.
  7. In the next window, click Change next to the Owner field at the top.
  8. In the object name field, enter your Windows user name, or the Microsoft account that you use to log in.
  9. Then click Check Names to validate.
  10. Hit OK on the Select User or Group window, and then hit OK on Advanced Security Settings window.
  11. Back in the Permissions window, locate your user name in the top pane.
  12. Under the lower pane, next to Full Control, check the check-box named Allow, and click OK.
  13. Back in the Registry Editor, locate Ethernet key in the right pane, and double-click it.
  14. Change the value from “1” to “2”, and then click OK.

"Observation has shown that those updates deemed too urgent to wait for an unmetered connection include the Flash updates, but do not include the cumulative updates... "

Just trying to help. I do an awful lot of computers in the course of a week.