Chapala.com Webboard

Lost my US drivers license

The main office only, for Vialidad on Av. Alcalde in GDL

Take your pasaporte, If foreigner, your immigration card, proof of domicilio, CURP letter (complete), recibo from the recaudadora. and a black and white copy of each.

Make an appointment on line.....goes much quicker.

As johanson says, no previous license, you will have to take a written and physical driving test.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Honorandfaith said:

I have lost my US drivers license. I am renting a car from a friend. What would it take to get a Mexican DL. Is there a place locally?

It may be easier to get a duplicate license from the State that issued the license.  You can use Google to see if your State issues them and what is required.

• Like 1

What I said you have to take, so does the facilitator, so there isn´t any difference in required documents. The process moves quickly, with or without a facilitator.

It´s your choice I guess, if you want to pay for company.  It took me all of 30 minutes from the time I entered the front door until the time II left the same way, without a facilitator.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ferret said:

You really want her to "drive" into Guadalajara without a valid driver's license?

No!  Have a friend drive her, hire a driver or driver with car, get a cab or Uber from Chapala, take bus to GDL and then cab or Uber to Vialidad.

Once you are there they will direct you through each step, even if you don´t speak Spanish.  You should speak some Spanish as I don´t believe they have written tests in English.

• Like 1

Getting (if you have a valid out-of-country license) or renewing a drivers license in Mexico is super easy. I was also in and out in 30 minutes. And there's no "temporary" license. They take your photo right there and hand you the laminated card. Can't imagine why anyone would need a facilitator, but maybe people assume it will be more of a hassle than it actually is. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, johanson said:

Yes it is very easy; however I always try to go with others, just because I do not enjoy driving in Guadalajara

I´d much rather drive in GDL than Ajijic...…..less cobblestones, wider streets, less people making illegal left turns, traffic flows better unless there is an accident, less foreigners that don´t understand Mexican driving habits, better enforcement of traffic laws by Vialidad. better street ID signs, and on and on.

Ajijic is perfect for owners of the latest  model of the transportation known as "El Burro"

• Like 4