Chapala.com Webboard

Mexican citizenship

greeninmexico

3 hours ago, Mostlylost said:

First you are given an article from some publication to read. About 4 or 5 paragraphs. Then you are given  a page with 5 questions multiple choice 3 answers possible on each. You can refer back to the article as many times as you want. You circle the correct answer for each question.

Do you have any idea if there is a certain suggested reading level (elementary school, high school, university) for the paragraphs used on the test?

• 2 weeks later...

There is a fairly recent PDF study guide for the history portion of the examination required for Mexican citizenship.  BIBLIOGRAFÍA DE ESTUDIO 2017 NATURALIZACIÓN  Google is your friend and can give you lots more information.

Remember that if one is over 60, one is not required to take the history exam; only the Spanish-language exam is required.

On 9/16/2019 at 7:59 PM, ibarra said:

Type NEW Mexican Citizenship Exam 2018 in the search option.  This post has a lot of answers for citizenship questions. 

For your advice to work, users must also navigate to "more search options" and select "find results that contain all of my search term words" or "find results in content titles only".  Otherwise, they get hundreds of results that are not related to Mexican citizenship.

INM has not for 4 months plus, processed visa history requests nor time out of country and may not for rest of year. So you have lots of time to prepare. SRE in some cases will waive this requirement so all the more reason to record exits and entries.

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/29/2019 at 7:34 PM, Sonia said:

INM has not for 4 months plus, processed visa history requests nor time out of country and may not for rest of year. So you have lots of time to prepare. SRE in some cases will waive this requirement so all the more reason to record exits and entries.

When you say SRE will in some cases waive the requirement, what does that mean? That SRE simply will not ask to receive a visa history letter from INM, but will verify, electronically or otherwise, the person's entries and exits from Mexico? Or that SRE does not require the letter and does not cross check entry and exit record and merely trusts the written declaration of the applicant regarding his or her absences?

There is no absolute truth with INM every office has a way to look at things WHat is acceptable for one is not always acceptable for the other.. You just have to try it and se what happens. I was asked for a print out because I had lost my passport but n the end they did not use the print out..

• 4 months later...

sorry to resurrect a somewhat old thread... bmh, are you saying SRE asked you for a printout of your entries and exits from INM because at the time you applied for citizenship you did not have a passport to show the people at SRE? Or did you lose your passport at some point in the previous years such that you could not show them all of the relevant entry and exit stamps?

I lost my passport about one year ago, so I cannot show all entry and exit stamps from the past 2 years. Wonder if that will be a problem when I apply for citizenship, or if SRE will just cross reference the dates I report to them? I've maintained a spreadsheet with all exits and entries during the past 5 years.

15 hours ago, Travelero said:

sorry to resurrect a somewhat old thread... bmh, are you saying SRE asked you for a printout of your entries and exits from INM because at the time you applied for citizenship you did not have a passport to show the people at SRE? Or did you lose your passport at some point in the previous years such that you could not show them all of the relevant entry and exit stamps?

I lost my passport about one year ago, so I cannot show all entry and exit stamps from the past 2 years. Wonder if that will be a problem when I apply for citizenship, or if SRE will just cross reference the dates I report to them? I've maintained a spreadsheet with all exits and entries during the past 5 years.

SRE does not ask for a printout from INM of your entries and exits with a normal application. What they require is a page with the dates of each entry and exit in the 2 years prior to the application.

In the case of a lost passport they might have additional requirements. I would think that a printout from INM would serve.

Personally I would communicate with SRE before actually making the application to see what they say. 

When I did my naturalization in 2018, SRE provided a list of exit/entry to be reviewed and confirmed; there were many inconsistencies. I had to correct their list, provide the additions/corrections, and sign an affidavit. And yes, I had to total the number of days out of the country. The issues that can cause errors are threefold: INM did not properly pick up an FMM exit or FMM entry, or the passport wasn't captured upon scanning. In my case, no land FMMs were included, only (some of) those by air. Sometimes the FMM was there, but the passport was not... Sometimes nothing was shown on the outbound/inbound, but the other leg was recorded... We had to document the corrections via passport stamp.

Requirements have changed since 2018.

SRE did not present any entry exit list to at least 5 people that I know of in 2019.   Just curious...... at what time in the process did they present you with the printout? 

Since the person said their passport was lost and the new passport does not cover 2 years SRE may require more than the sworn statement of the last 2 years.  They should check with SRE before filing their application. 

3 hours ago, Mostlylost said:

Requirements have changed since 2018.

SRE did not present any entry exit list to at least 5 people that I know of in 2019.   Just curious...... at what time in the process did they present you with the printout? 

Since the person said their passport was lost and the new passport does not cover 2 years SRE may require more than the sworn statement of the last 2 years.  They should check with SRE before filing their application. 

I'm also curious when in the process SRE presented you with the printout.

I plan to call them to explain my situation and understand what they will require of me. Fingers crossed that what they tell me is the same as what the person from SRE demands of me when I apply in CDMX.

My guess is that they will not accept your application without the passports covering the years for the residency requirement, or the print out from INM. The constancia de flujo migratorio from INM is not in the requirements, but from what I understand, they ask you for it if your passport stamps are not legible. If you don't have passport stamps to show, I'm guessing that they will ask you for this. You would need it before you submit your application.

After your application is accepted, one of the steps you see in the status page they give you is waiting for it to be approved by immigration. Presumably during that step immigration checks your application data against their own records, and in the case of inconsistency, maybe they send the details of those inconsistencies back to SRE. Maybe that's why jrod is reporting that SRE presented the printout from INM - there were inconsistencies between the application data after it was accepted, and their records. But if your stamps are not legible or available at all, you would likely would not get that far, and would need it before applying.

Also, if I understand the rules correctly, you have to pay for the application now before they will even look at your papers.

1 hour ago, Scott said:

Also, if I understand the rules correctly, you have to pay for the application now before they will even look at your papers.

The process in in 2019  SRE  Mexico City, Colima and Guadalajara has been you present your DDN-3 and all required documents. They check each document and if all is correct they give you the payment slip to take to the bank. You return with the payment and then take the exam.  

If there is a problem with your papers they will indicate what you need to correct. At that point they have not given you a payment slip.

I applied last year somewhere else. Not surprising it's different in each delegation. There were several requirements that are not listed on the SRE website where I did it. I downloaded the payment form from the SRE website and paid at a bank, before my first visit to SRE.

1 hour ago, Scott said:

I applied last year somewhere else. Not surprising it's different in each delegation. There were several requirements that are not listed on the SRE website where I did it. I downloaded the payment form from the SRE website and paid at a bank, before my first visit to SRE.

I would recommend to anyone not to pay before applying. 

Curious for everyone's information... Where did you apply and what did they request different from the official requirements prescribed by law?

On 3/17/2020 at 6:17 PM, Mostlylost said:

I would recommend to anyone not to pay before applying. 

Curious for everyone's information... Where did you apply and what did they request different from the official requirements prescribed by law?

I applied in Cancun, under the category of having a Mexican child. Here's a few of the general requirements that were slightly different from the listed requirements in the DNN3 form and on the SRE website:

1) The DNN3 form says to provide the filled out form and 2 photocopies of it. On the first visit I had the original filled out in ink, and 3 photocopies. They told me that if one copy is filled out with ink, all of the copies must be filled out by hand with ink also, no photocopies. They also wanted the original + 3 copies. In the end I filled it out in Acrobat Reader and provided 4 print outs from the computer.

2) In Cancun they want you to provide 3 print outs of the CURP PDF file that you download from https://www.gob.mx/curp/. Not only that, it is imperative that the PDF be downloaded and printed on the same day you do the exam and your application is formally accepted. There is a date in the PDF so they know. In the DNN-3 and SRE website, it says you have to provide your resident card, from which your CURP is derived. It doesn't say anything about downloading and printing the PDF, let alone doing it the same day as the application and exam.

3) They did not accept the first translation of my birth certificate. I had the translation done in Michoacan, and I think they just didn't like that it was from another state, even though the requirements say it can be any perito traductor. The reason they gave was that they didn't like her signature, but everything looked pretty legit to me. I had a new translation done in Quintana Roo, and it was accepted, no questions.

4) I didn't have to sing the anthem or describe the meaning of the national symbols, but I have seen reports online that this has been required in Merida for a while, and starting in January 2020 they are making people do it in Cancun also.

5) They didn't like the format of the entrances and exits letter I provided, which was based on a template I found online that people said was used in Mexico City. They wanted some slight variations to it.

Specific to the category of having Mexican children:

1) They wanted my child present when I did the exam and my application was formally accepted. The DNN-3 and SRE website do not say anything about your child having to go with you. They only say that you need the child's Mexican birth certificate.

2) They required my partner to write a letter giving her consent, and stating that I am a responsible parent and meet all financial and moral obligations to my family. She also had to provide id with copies, and be present on the day of the exam and formal acceptance of the application. There is nothing about this at all in the DNN3 or SRE website. Again, those just say you need to provide the child's birth certificate.

They were also very peculiar about the way the DNN3 was filled out. That's not surprising at all, but they definitely made me change a number of things. For example, I had listed city, province and country where I was born under place of birth. My birth certificate shows the county though, so they wanted the county also under place of birth. That kind of thing.

Overall it was alright once I got sorted out after my first visit. I made all the changes they requested, and passed the exam and they accepted my application on the second visit. I'm still waiting for it to go through, though. In Cancun they told me it takes an average of 9 months to process, and online I see that in Mexico City it is only about 6 months.

Scott,

Thank you for the information. I'm sure it will be helpful to someone.

Once again we see an example of why maybe it is easier to do the process in Mexico City the same day as you get your police report.

Congrats on passing. 

Sorry you had such a difficult time with a petty local official. 

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

I assume you are under 60 years of age ... and need to take the test

This page has the information 

https://www.gob.mx/tramites/ficha/solicitud-de-carta-de-naturalizacion-por-tener-una-residencia-de-cinco-anos/SRE1573

under:   Examen de Historia y Cultura de México   click on  Liga  to download a PDF with links to the study material

11 hours ago, Marium said:

Hi, i am planning to start preparing for the naturalization exam. I need help with the 1000 questions preparation. If someone has it, please share. 

You can see a lot of the questions here:
Mexican Naturalization Flash Cards

If you just want a document not a website, here's a PDF with the same questions:
Mexican Naturalization Study Guide

They haven't been letting people take the exam since March, and these questions were current at that time. I found you have to be careful with which guides you study (apart from the official sources), because a lot of them contain old questions that are not being asked anymore, and sometimes incorrect answers since they are just being put together by other people who are studying for the exam. There is no official list of questions anymore, and if you find one online, it's outdated. But who knows what will happen next year when they open again. Maybe they will change the questions again.