Chapala.com Webboard

ophthalmologist

sunshine59

6 hours ago, Irish Gal said:

gringohombre,

Dr. Pinto is not a 'regular optometrist" but in fact he is an ophalmologist.    

However he does not do cataract surgery. I went to him first just for the conformation since he has a reputation for honesty and reasonable examination rates.

17 hours ago, pappysmarket said:

Both myself and my wife went through this procedure and what we paid might well be way more or way less than you will pay. Good for you that you got 2 people to tell you how much they paid. Are your eyes the same as theirs, do you want single, double or triple lenses? Are your eyes even a good candidate for the surgery? If saving up for the procedure is that important you should see the Dr. ASAP to get the true cost for your eyes and perhaps even be able to work out a payment plan or at least get on the waiting list for the surgery.

Good luck, if you truly need it you will be amazed at the difference.

I think he accepts that what we paid isn't going to be what he pays, but at least it gives a rough starting point. Gosh, why is this such a controversy? At any rate, you're absolutely right about the difference. While my eyes were more towards issues with cataracts starting, I still marvel every day at the sharpness of leaves on trees. Also, sunglasses are a must...just like they were when I wore contacts. Life is good!

OK, maybe your point is well taken. I just don't really think what you or I paid for a medical procedure that varies so much in complexity is helpful. But I have been wrong once or twice in my life...My wife and I paid $1300 USD equivalent for each eye in PV 2 years ago. Dra. Monica who used to have an office in Gdl but I believe she no longer commutes back there. That price included everything except the the pre surgery lab work and the visit to a cardiologist for the "permission for surgery" letter that she requires. Both of us got the single vision, mid-priced lens which she suggested. My wife needs reading glasses but for some reason I don't except for very small print. The Dra. said that is not typical and I will probably be needing my cheaters at some point but so far, so good. So for the OP, here's a third price point.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I just saw Dr Juan Garrido in GDL (puerta de hierro sur hospital) who told me I have cataracts. He prescribed multifocal  eye glasses to try forestalling surgery for a while. I have never worn glasses. They cost 12,000 pesos [ouch]

He said the surgery would be 25,000 pesos per eye but did not say what sort of lens. Any feedback will be appreciated.

There is one side effect that I never expected...I can't cut onions without crying. Holy crap, is it sharp! I'd never had a problem before and now I do. Hmmmm….good vision, no readers and I cry cutting onions versus contacts/readers and Coke bottle glasses? Gee...what should I have done, what should I have done? 😁While I still have issues, it's with my crappy retinas and nothing to do with with the cataract surgery--THAT was the best thing I've done for myself.

http://www.clinicasantalucia.com.mx/mdoc/ruiz-orozco-humberto/ 

Dr. Humberto Ruíz Orozco

Ophthalmologist Surgeon with specialization in Glaucoma and Anterior Segment Surgery
I studied general medicine at the University of Guadalajara
Residency in Ophthalmology at the Hopsital Dr. Luis Sánchez Bulnes of the Association to Avoid Blindness in Mexico, in Mexico City
Specialization in Glaucoma in the Hopsital Dr. Luis Sánchez Bulnes of the Association to Prevent Blindness in Mexico
Fellow in Glaucoma at the Hospital of the University of St. Louis Missouri with Dr. Robert C. Drews
Former president of the College of Ophthalmology Doctors of Jalisco
Former president of the Glaucoma Association of the West
Former President of the Mexican Society of Ophthalmology
Vice President of the Mexican Council of Ophthalmology

The  facility that I trust my eyes with.

• Like 1

I had surgery done on eye by Dr. Rios $35,000. I had a trifocal lens put in one eye. It was supposed to fix it so that I didn't need glasses for close up, medium distance and long distance. It turned out that I need glasses for closeup. Dr. Rios insisted that I could read close up without glasses but I could not. So two years later for the other eye I went to Dr. Claudia. $38,000 She installed the same lens in my other eye. She insisted that I would not need glasses for reading but I did. So be prepared that results may not be quite what are promised.  

My medium and long distance vision was much improved by both doctors.