Chapala.com Webboard

Color consultant for exterior paint wanted

ea93105

Due to a incurable case of analysis paralysis I cannot decide what color to paint my Mexican house which I will eventually be putting up for sale. I like bold Mexican colors but am afraid to chose a color  which might not appeal to expats.

Anyone know of a person who has a knack for choosing colors ? I already have a painting crew.

Thanks

2 hours ago, ea93105 said:

Due to a incurable case of analysis paralysis I cannot decide what color to paint my Mexican house which I will eventually be putting up for sale. I like bold Mexican colors but am afraid to chose a color  which might not appeal to expats.

Anyone know of a person who has a knack for choosing colors ? I already have a painting crew.

Thanks

Any color you choose will appeal to some buyers and turn off others. So you might want to drive by and maybe photo some other similar houses that you might happen to know are owned by gringos. Or perhaps take advice from someone you might be choosing as your realtor. A "color consultant" will surely come up with something appealing to them but unless they might buy the house, what are you gaining? Good luck with the color and the sale.

Edit: How about a fresh coat of white paint and a nice selection of color samples at your home and include exterior painting for the buyer with their choice of colors. Just choose a creative realtor, not just an order taker.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ea93105 said:

Thanks

I will want our home painted when we arrive in a couple of weeks but just the interior. Does your painting crew do interior painting and if so by chance would you share your contact info? 

1 hour ago, pappysmarket said:

Any color you choose will appeal to some buyers and turn off others. So you might want to drive by and maybe photo some other similar houses that you might happen to know are owned by gringos. Or perhaps take advice from someone you might be choosing as your realtor. A "color consultant" will surely come up with something appealing to them but unless they might buy the house, what are you gaining? Good luck with the color and the sale.

Edit: How about a fresh coat of white paint and a nice selection of color samples at your home and include exterior painting for the buyer with their choice of colors. Just choose a creative realtor, not just an order taker.

good ideas, thanks

2 hours ago, Susy Wilson said:

I will want our home painted when we arrive in a couple of weeks but just the interior. Does your painting crew do interior painting and if so by chance would you share your contact info? 

Pm sent

• Like 1

3 hours ago, pappysmarket said:

If the house sells quickly, that could be a good idea. But what I see so much is people painting the exterior white (which looks great in ads or travel magazines) but then it's almost always covered in dust unless you want spend your time or money constantly hosing it down or powerwashing (which usually blasts off the paint). The outside of my house is actually purposely the exact same color as the dirt 🙂

My advice woud be to go with a neutral that doesn't easily show dirt, then punch it up by using something colorful on the front door or other detail areas. If prospective buyers don't like that color, it's less of a daunting expense to just repaint a door or some window frames than the entire exterior.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Go Solar said:

Another option for new builds / full renos:   colored stucco.   Never needs painting (unless you want to change the color.....)

That's exactly what I did. My crew actually used powered color mixed into the final plaster coat. It's more time consuming and trickier than buying some ready-made mix, as each batch has to be accurately measured, sand, cement and color, and if you change brands or batches of cement or get a new load of sand, the color may not turn out the same, but I'm so glad I did that. It's such a huge savings not to have to paint and repaint. There was a coat of clear 5-1 inexpensive sealer applied after they finished the plastering and it had ample time to cure, and I've had the sealer reapplied once, 5 years ago, but basically maintenance-free.

1 hour ago, mudgirl said:

My crew actually used powered color mixed into the final plaster coat.

Yep, we did the same.     Lot of on-site testing and learning on the job, >>> the crew liked the process and it worked out well.   

For lighter / brighter tones, be prepared to use at least part to all, white cement.

1 hour ago, Go Solar said:

Yep, we did the same.     Lot of on-site testing and learning on the job, >>> the crew liked the process and it worked out well.   

For lighter / brighter tones, be prepared to use at least part to all, white cement.

Your comment about the white cement is interesting. I've found that the guys in my area are always accustomed to using white cement with color. They are used to doing countertops and smooth cement floors and my crew hadn't ever used color in exterior plaster. I went with a dirt color, as I never wanted the outside to look dusty and dirty, so definitely grey cement. I was also asked by some clients to help with colors at their place because they were out-of-the-country. They were doing countertops and they gave me an example of the color they wanted- a dusky grey/green. The contractor called me to check out some samples they'd mixed up and spread on a board. They were all super bright, not what the client wanted at all. They had done them all with white cement and color. I told them they needed to use grey cement. They told me grey cement was never used with color. I said it was the only way to achieve the color wanted. So they grudgingly gave in (what does a gringa know, eh?) and were so surprised when the result matched the sample provided exactly 🙂

We painted the exterior wall, gate, etc  - the one on the street of our place what we call "Ajijic Dust" colour …  it really doesn't show the dust. It's very neutral, but always looks fresh. We have neighbours who painted the same wall a bright colour with black gates/doors and it always looks dusty and a bit neglected . If I was living in the house full time and I could dust it daily I might paint it a brighter colour, … 

I hear ya loud and clear sem123! I painted my garage door and door in black. Besides the dust, it got spattered with concrete when they put in the new driveway ramp and sidewalk. Sigh. Live and Learn. Paint AFTER changes... and never black.

I have painted over all the walls in my house because it was all white EVERYWHERE. However, it was quite a clean look to live with until I got around to changing it. I could have lived with it a little longer if the previous owner hadn't used such crappy paint.

If you are going to paint for a sale, I would do white. Colour is a personal choice and I am not a mind reader.

My outside walls are now Periwinkle Blue and my inside walls are a lilac shade. Gag, you say? Hey it works for me...20190622_104344.thumb.jpg.7a7e58655765459497ae430b579f4945.jpg

20190621_092743.jpg

• Like 3

When we first wanted to paint the exterior of our house (which was orange and white: my husband called it the Creamsicle house), we tried to find paint samples in the various paint stores, but had little luck.  (this was ten years ago.)  We looked at lots of the homes around us, from ground level and our mirador.   We liked the brick/ off white combination as a neutral that appealed to gringos and mexicans alike.   When we showed our painter, we went up on the mirador and pointed out several terra cotta walls in the homes in our neighborhood, indicating we liked this one, 'but a little less orange' or that one, but 'not so dark'.  We said we liked the eggshell houses, but 'perhaps not so yellow' or 'a little sandier.'

Our painter nodded and said, "Si, senora.  Crema y marron".  We once again went through the variations around us and tried to indicate what we were looking for.  Again, "si, senora.  Crema y marron."    We shrugged, crossed our fingers, and hoped for the best.

When he came to apply the paint, he mixed the colours himself.  They were indeed 'crema' and 'marron' (terra cotta, really).  They looked absolutely fine, each plane of the house reflecting the sunlight slightly differently and making it impossible to see exactly which part of the house was the exact shade we had in our head.  The sun faded the colour in some areas; intensified it in others.   It looked clean, Mexican and Gringo-taste both, and we were happy enough to paint it the same colours when it needed it again seven years later.   

We asked the painter for 'crema y marron'.  

A colour wheel's a great starter. Actually if they enlarge yours they can use it!

Then buy some small cans, pint size & test before you splurge on the big buckets. Trying to remember what we were paying for Sherwin-Williams but it is not cheap by the us Gal. Anyone bought any lately

4 hours ago, happyjillin said:

Hiring a "colour consultant" around here is the equivalent of  flushing money down the toilet. For selling prep, the interior is easy, do it WHITE.  No charge.

Already did the interior off white.

But the topic was for EXTERIOR color and white is not really a color is it ?