Chapala.com Webboard

confrontation Colon/Carretera

A friend  just returned home along the carretera in Ajijic and reports groups of young people on either side of the carretera on Colon were throwing things at each other.  The police were on their way.  Any one else see this?  The friend thought the car she was traveling in was going to be hit by flying objects.

10 hours ago, RickS said:

Alfa, you might want to read up on what the terms 'Plaza' mean in Mexico.... clue, it's not just the town square!

RickS, the word you're looking for isn't "plaza".  It's plazo.  Easy to get confused.  In criminal jargon, it means "control of a place".  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Per Insight Crime website . . . 

This takes us to the cartel dictionary. The ground won or lost is a “plaza” — a term nobody has been able to translate very well. It doesn’t mean a palm-lined village square. In underworld parlance in Mexico, a plaza is a geographical area of influence. Nor is it limited to border staging areas for drug smuggling. A plaza can be deep inside Mexico. It can be the size of an entire Mexican state, or a group of states — or just a city or county-sized area within a state — or only a section of a city. But the core meaning remains: a plaza is where you squeeze out profits. No other gang is supposed to move in (unless they pay “derecho de piso” — a user’s fee, or turf tax — also not translating very well).

• Like 3

The plaza is the equivalent of the territory.. There are several gangs in Ajijic , one up la Montaña and the other in Las 6 Esquinas, they used to have limits they were not allowed to cross maybe some of them crossed the line.. I do not know, I have not heard about it..

When we moved here the 5 corner gang used to stone any kid from another gang f he came past that cross o Zaragosa or Hidalgo, I forget the name of the street..

12 hours ago, Xena said:

Having lived here in 2012 when cartels were fighting each other for control in this area, I can tell you it did not involve young people throwing things at each other from opposite sides of the street. 

True...but just like tryouts for a play or minor league baseball players trying to make it to the "Bigs" some of these gang members are trying to be noticed so they can move up. And sometimes getting noticed to move up also involves "getting involved" with young girls and if a young girl is "tagged" by a gang member her life can be hell. Some may remember Beverly, no last name used here, and her daughter who became the apple of the eye of one such miscreant. No amount of moving, talking to school officials, police did anything to deter that man. Finally moving back to Oregon was the only way to stop it. It's the kind of story that doesn't get talked about much but it's a very true story nonetheless.

9 minutes ago, pappysmarket said:

True...but just like tryouts for a play or minor league baseball players trying to make it to the "Bigs" some of these gang members are trying to be noticed so they can move up. And sometimes getting noticed to move up also involves "getting involved" with young girls and if a young girl is "tagged" by a gang member her life can be hell. Some may remember Beverly, no last name used here, and her daughter who became the apple of the eye of one such miscreant. No amount of moving, talking to school officials, police did anything to deter that man. Finally moving back to Oregon was the only way to stop it. It's the kind of story that doesn't get talked about much but it's a very true story nonetheless.

I was responding to  Mexseekin quoting from the cartel dictionary. I was not referring to kids playing gang members or even gang members at all. 

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, More Liana said:

RickS, the word you're looking for isn't "plaza".  It's plazo.  Easy to get confused.  In criminal jargon, it means "control of a place".  

I will eat crow.  I am wrong.

Despite hearing "plazo" far more than "plaza" re the troubles in various parts of Mexico, I have consulted with my friend Malcolm Beith (author of The Last Narco) and he has corrected my error.  RickS, he says it's plaza and he knows way more than I do.  I apologize.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, slainte39 said:

I lile my crow "OLD", and straight ...……. if you know what I mean, but if your not Irish blooded, you probably don´t get it.  :D :D:D

I get it!  I get it!  On the other hand, I am sort of an old crow, but definitely not straight.  If you know what I mean and I hope you do.  😏 😊 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, More Liana said:

I get it!  I get it!  On the other hand, I am sort of an old crow, but definitely not straight.  If you know what I mean and I hope you do.  😏 😊 

Well it doesn´t necessarily have to be "straight" to be enjoyed, variety/diversity is the spice of life.

Old Crow(s) only get better with aging.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1