Chapala.com Webboard

Need a Honda key

This is pretty easy actually I believe.    These keys are about 5 to 10 US on Amazon.    And if the chip inside it does not get programmed (which is the $$$ part from the Honda dealers) then any decent local locksmith can copy-cut the key, to open the door.     It may go in the ignition, (since  Honda door and ignition keys are physically the same) but if it is a chip enabled ignition type car from late 90's onward, then it should not start.

Here's a link to a bunch; you need to get the right one for your year and model:

https://www.amazon.com/blank-honda-key/s?k=blank+honda+key

The local locksmiths may even have what you need and be able to advise better....check and talk to them, first.

Thanks, Go Solar, that's the info I need. I got the original from a mid-size key shop in Bucerias, Nayarit, NOT a dealer or big shop at all. I use it to keep my car locked but with ac running for my little dog. And a club in action, too. Much more necessary in the heat of the beach! Somehow in the last week the ac key vanished. Hard to figure, since I have to have it to get in the car coming from a store or restaurant. Took the car to Lake carwash figuring they would find the key in some crevice or sneaky place, but no. Leave the dog at home? It's not my home, I am dogsitting four dogs who have some habits I'd prefer my dog not pick up. 

I'll see which key guy my mechanic here recommends and head there tomorrow! Thanks so much, both for your advice and for not judging my admittedly crude solution to my problem! Don't have an Amazon account but with your info I should be able to muddle through this!!!

• 1 year later...
19 minutes ago, Mostlylost said:

The OP wants a door key only. Does not want a chip key. Any locksmith with a good supply of auto keys can cut one that will work on the door,. No chip is needed in a door key. There is no sensor near the door lock on a Honda.  

We shall see. The reason for the chip is security. Making a key without a chip alerts the security and prevents ignition. It is not a near-field issue.

Actually no.  

Using a key without a chip to open a door has no effect on the security system of a Honda. The chip is an ignition issue only. The key must be near the steering column for the sensor to read the RFID chip and allow the ignition to work.

I have a chipped key hidden inside my car. I have a non chipped key hidden outside my car.  If someone finds the outside key they can open the door but not start the car. My key inside the car is far enough away from the ignition that the sensor cannot see it. 

When I open the door with the non chipped key the alarm does not go off. It is deactivated by a switch in the lock. Not by a chip in the key.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mostlylost said:

Actually no.  

Using a key without a chip to open a door has no effect on the security system of a Honda. The chip is an ignition issue only. The key must be near the steering column for the sensor to read the RFID chip and allow the ignition to work.

I have a chipped key hidden inside my car. I have a non chipped key hidden outside my car.  If someone finds the outside key they can open the door but not start the car. My key inside the car is far enough away from the ignition that the sensor cannot see it. 

When I open the door with the non chipped key the alarm does not go off. It is deactivated by a switch in the lock. Not by a chip in the key.

There are different systems, depending on the age of the vehicle. Since we don't know the OPs car's age or reason, I couldn't say definitively. As I did say, I am not talking about keys with near field sensors, which is what you are referencing.