Chapala.com Webboard

"Thrill the World" Workshops begin TODAY!

Calling all Zombies & Zombie Wanna-Be's! "Thrill the World" kick-off is TODAY at the Ajijic Cultural Center at 1:30. Rehearsals run each Saturday 1:30-3:30 and continue until the big event on Saturday, Oct. 26th. Starting Wednesday, Sept. 4th, rehearsals continue from 5:30-7:30 as well. No prior dance training is necessary.  The steps are taught assuming participants are non-dancers.  Join the Ajijic Zombie Horde, have fun, meet new friends, get some exercise ALL for a great cause - to raise much needed funds for Cruz Roja. Hope to see you there!  1f642.png:)

VValValVal

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Taaffe said:

I was wondering if after “Leaving Neverland” and the outing of Michael Jackson as a predatory pedophile, how this event for charity could continue.

I can’t separate the man from his music.

Its not about charity,never was. Im glad you can not understand these pedophile loving, sickos who love to terrorize the

small children here with thier gross Zombie , sick behaviour , From what i heard from some of the Mexican people, the event may not

go so smoothly for the ugly gringos this year, time will tell. I just read about a Canadian in Cancun who was allegedly a

pedophile, seems that many of the Mexican people have had enough of pedophiles and thier supporters,the guys body

was rolled up in a rug,reports said he died hard, if he was indeed a child abuser, I wont be crying about his demise. May he and

all child abusers rest in hell. By the way, I was once a significate donor to the red cross, but have not given a dime since they

allowed this evil to be associated with tier name.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

Thanks to those who joined us for the "Thrill the World" kick-off event yesterday.  I'm taking this quote directly from the website.  "We want to bring dance to people all over the world. We want to remind everyone that before you believed you couldn’t (dance) you did. We want to connect the world, in fun, celebration and dance. And to show that it CAN be done. It’s not impossible. It just hasn’t been done yet. We think “Thriller” is the best way to reach the most number of people. As a bonus, on Halloween night parties, you’ll get to feel like a superstar in a movie when suddenly everyone erupts in choreographed dance!

In addition to sharing the joy of dance, the celebration of community and the passion for living, we created Thrill The World so that each event could be used to raise money for a local charity."  In our case, Cruz Roja is the recipient of funds raised.  "Giving continues past just the steps of the dance, past the hands of Thrill The World to you, the participants. We want you to experience the gift of giving.

And lastly, our hope is that by witnessing and/or being a part of Thrill The World, you will see for yourself that any dream, vision, idea, passion you have CAN be realized. Who would’ve thought we could inspire the world to dance with us? At the same time! Nothing is impossible. Impossible just means it hasn’t been done yet. Do the impossible!"

While I understand some individuals take issue with allegations made against the late Michael Jackson, I also understand this event is about bringing the community together, having fun, enjoying exercise, meeting new people and raising funds for Cruz Roja.  Personally, my feelings about the allegations against Michael Jackson are completely separate from the fantastic choreography by Michael Peters and the great music and joy I have dancing to "Thriller".  

For those who wish to join the Ajijic Zombie Horde, I encourage you to do so.  For those who don't, I understand.  Rehearsals will continue at the Ajijic Cultural Center each Saturday 1:30-3:30 and Wednesday from 5:30-7:30.  You can also learn the choreography online at the official website:  thrilltheworld.com

Cheers and ROCK ON!

Val Jones  :)

I was mostly interested in hearing how many people can separate the man from his music (or art, or movies, or good deeds, charity, etc.) 

It´s an interesting subject because many men (and fewer women) are in the same or similar positions as Michael Jackson: Epstein, R Kelly, who assaulted and kept prisoner many young girls, Kevin Spacey, young boys, Charlie Rose, young women, Halpern, and on and on).

Would we say " That priest molested 20 kids, but I really like his sermons".  

The head of the Cannes Film Festival refused to go Roman Polanski´s new movie because of his past actions.  I think it may be a generational thing?

• Like 1

“Would we say " That priest molested 20 kids, but I really like his sermons".“

For centuries children have been raped by members of the clergy. Their acts were known, condoned, and covered up while the money continued to pour in. “That priest rapes children and his church covers it up, protecting and enabling him. But I pretend it is not happening, go to church and toss money on the collection plate anyway.” 

• Like 1

I cannot support any Michael Jackson based endeavor.  He paid off the parents of lower-class kids that he molested, otherwise he would have died in prison.  Yeah, yeah, he was found not guilty.....but so was OJ.  Fame seems to matter a lot to jurors in California celebrity trials.  

Cruz Roja and all other sponsors of a Michael Jackson song/video celebration should avoid any affiliation.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, vetteforron said:

If this hideous exhibition offends so many people why, do it?

I believe in the Red Cross. When my wife was young and wanted to be a Nurse the Red Cross helped. Have a bake sale!

It offends a few people on here . We don’t know the state of mind of others that aren’t on this blog . 

I personally will not join  for personal  reasons , however there are many who do join year after year ,

No, I don't admire or respect Michael Jackson or what he did. Yes, I can separate the man from his music and dance. And enjoy what Thrill the World stands for now. This from the Thrill the World home FAQs:

What’s the purpose of Thrill The World?  We want to bring dance to people all over the world. We want to remind everyone that before you believed you couldn’t (dance) you did. We want to connect the world, in fun, celebration and dance. And to show that it CAN be done. It’s not impossible. It just hasn’t been done yet. We think “Thriller” is the best way to reach the most number of people. As a bonus, on Halloween night parties, you’ll get to feel like a superstar in a movie when suddenly everyone erupts in choreographed dance!

In addition to sharing the joy of dance, the celebration of community and the passion for living, we created Thrill The World so that each event could be used to raise money for a local charity.  Giving continues past just the steps of the dance, past the hands of Thrill The World to you, the participants. We want you to experience the gift of giving.

And lastly, our hope is that by witnessing and/or being a part of Thrill The World, you will see for yourself that any dream, vision, idea, passion you have CAN be realized. Who would’ve thought we could inspire the world to dance with us? At the same time! Nothing is impossible. Impossible just means it hasn’t been done yet. Do the impossible!

• Thanks 1

From the website thrilltheworld.com it says :

“Yes, let’s not forget Michael Jackson! This is for you! This has been, and forever will be, a tribute to Michael Jackson. “

That’s its stated purpose.  If people want to participate in a tribute to Michael Jackson that is their choice, of course. 

‘Nuff said...

• Thanks 3

As a dancer/choreographer who has danced and performed to many types of music, creations from various artists and choreographers, I have chosen to enjoy the art, joy and my personal passion for dance.  It certainly isn't for me to decide for any other individual if they wish to dance to a particular song or artist performing the song/music.  I can and will decide solely for myself and am responsible solely for my own actions.  I liken it to one's beliefs in other social and political issues.  If you don't believe in abortion, don't have one.  If you don't believe in a same-gender lifestyle, don't have one, if you don't believe in drinking alcohol, don't drink and the list goes on.  I think I've made the point.  

I appreciate everyone has opinions and beliefs and will act accordingly.  It remains my intent to publicize events and classes that include dance, Theatre, Improv, etc.  Should people wish to attend, support and enjoy is absolutely their decision.  Should others prefer to avoid this type of activity, I encourage you to choose a different activity on a given day.  Most of us are retired and enjoying our golden years.  I encourage everyone to do what makes you happy. 

Cheers!

Val Jones  :)

• Like 4