Chapala.com Webboard

palms?

monadog

We started with a large 36" pot, which just fit through the doorway, and planted a small royal palm in it. It grew like crazy, soon reaching for the sky in our patio. In less than three years, it broke the pot.  At that point, we sold the house in Ajijic, moved to Chapala and never planted another palm in a pot.   🌴

It would help if you said what kind of palm or posted a photo of it. If you're talking about Areca Palms that have multiple fronds emanating from the base, you can keep them pruned to the size you want by just clipping the largest fronds at the base.  I have eight of them on my front porch. They can be found at the vivero behind SuperLake, the vivero just up the street from Multiva, the vivero opposite the La Huerta Plaza and just about any other vivero that you go into. The three that I mentioned usually have the healthiest specimens that are close. There are viveros all the way and into Jocotepec as well. Don't know where they are in Chapala.

Tree palm growth cannot be controlled.

Mine are three years old, in pots, and still the same height. If you cut the really tall fronds at the base, you will get a new growth coming up from the base. Mine aren't taller but they are fatter and bushier from the pruning.

We wanted trees for shade but we also leave the suckers at the bottom. We replanted them in another spot,the fishtail palm broke it's 4 ft. pot so it got planted in the ground beside them. It's over 12 ft. tall. Letty's are trees like ours not potted plants.Now we have a jungle where we sit. Have other plants that are bushes,some flowering. The fishtail also has suckers but much bigger[3-4 ft. high].

Tip for all you palms in pots folks. Get a plastic plant pot slightly smaller than the clay pot. Plant your palm in the plastic pot, then drop it into the larger pot, or just start out with the plastic pot already in place. When the palm gets too big for the pot, you can just remove the plastic pot and pot it up to a larger size. You'll still have the first pot intact that can be used for something else. Also helpful if you need to move the pot and it's not on a roller base. A plastic pot filled with dirt and plant is way less heavy to move than the pottery filled with dirt. If you want to hide the top edge of the plastic pot, just place some decorative rocks around it.

• Thanks 1

On 8/28/2019 at 1:36 PM, monadog said:

Where is the best place to buy large potted palms just like Letty's restaurant has?

The garden place on the south side of the carraterra, east side of San Juan Cosala.    Nice family business.     Easy to miss - need to "go inside the walls"!

Sorry to get the conversation back on track....!    😉

They have an incredible selection of plants if we are talking about the same one. Very small frontage but DEEP lot. If you are coming from the east, you will see it clearly with plants out in front of a single door entrance. Probably the healthiest plants I've ever seen and I always come back with a filled car.

Actually best to spot it then turn around and park directly in front so it's easier to load.

On 8/28/2019 at 2:14 PM, happyjillin said:

I looked at Letty's palms and they look like Areca. We planted ours over 10 years ago and they are about 15-20 ft. high now.

P1010193.JPG

2 now 2014.jpg

Look how pretty!  Beautiful, happyjillin.  

On 8/28/2019 at 9:44 PM, mudgirl said:

Tip for all you palms in pots folks. Get a plastic plant pot slightly smaller than the clay pot. Plant your palm in the plastic pot, then drop it into the larger pot, or just start out with the plastic pot already in place. When the palm gets too big for the pot, you can just remove the plastic pot and pot it up to a larger size. You'll still have the first pot intact that can be used for something else. Also helpful if you need to move the pot and it's not on a roller base. A plastic pot filled with dirt and plant is way less heavy to move than the pottery filled with dirt. If you want to hide the top edge of the plastic pot, just place some decorative rocks around it.

Mudgirl, that's exactly what I do.  Works great.