Chapala.com Webboard

Best Kitty Litter?

We were using "Arena Bob" from Walmart for the longest time, but it seems they've changed the formula somehow, and it no longer clumps properly. You can't scoop all the wet litter and eliminate the odour. What do other cat families use? Something affordable, I hope... Some brands are ridiculously expensive so prefer not to go the trial and error route...

I've used Arena Bob for years..... and NO problem with clumping etc.  Six indoor cats and four litterboxes so would certainly notice a problem.  One thing to ask...... how deep is the litter in the box?  It should not be more than 3 inches deep at most.  That way you can scoop right down to the bottom of the box (each morning and night, or more) and be sure to get everything.  Top up to that level as needed. Also you'll notice this helps to keep litter "fresh".

Also, if by some chance your litterbox(es) is outside (some people's are) it's very humid at this time of year, and that can have an effect on the litter.

• Thanks 1

The cats happily used Scoop Away for years and years.  Then a friend told me about Bob's clumping litter, so the four cats switched to Bob's.  They used it for about 6 months.  I wasn't happy with it at all, so we switched back to Scoop Away.  IMHO, Scoop Away is superior to everything else available in Mexico.

Be on the lookout: Walmart frequently offers the 5 kilo box at a sale price.  Two for something, I forget--but it truly makes it worth it to buy it while it's at that sale price.  I stock up then.  Once in a while I buy the 40-lb bag at Costco, but 40 lbs is almost too much for me to lift these days.  I hate being old.  Umm...old-er.

Natasha is right about the humidity.  My cats' litter box is near the back door, and when it rains, the litter can smell awful even when it's just been used a couple of times.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Natasha said:

Pretty hard for a 24/7 indoor SAFE cat to do.........

Well, I've had 3 cats during my life, all have been outside cats, all have lived to about the age of 15, and none have ever been injured or ill. Of course, if a cat is used to being locked inside, it likely won't fare well if let out, just like any animal that's been in captivity. To each his own.

2 hours ago, mudgirl said:

Well, I've had 3 cats during my life, all have been outside cats, all have lived to about the age of 15, and none have ever been injured or ill. Of course, if a cat is used to being locked inside, it likely won't fare well if let out, just like any animal that's been in captivity. To each his own.

And how many of those were here in Mexico?  I always had indoor/outdoor cats NOB too.  But here?

In the last 21 years in this area, when I still permitted easy outdoor access,  I've had 2 that died after catching and eating mice that had eaten poison, and one more that got a bad infection from lizards she ate,  tearing her esophagus and giving her an unstoppable infection. Mexican neighbors nearby have lost many to poison ( another neighbor keeps a dirty back yard and is known to be liberal with the stuff) including a mom cat that had 2-week old babies. Another Mexican neighbor lost a very fav cat because a neighbor  was taking pot shots from his balcony with a shotgun loaded with home-made shells --- lead pellets. Vet found 50 pellets on xray but since we didn't get the cat to him for 14 hours, it was too late to save him.  Then there's Rosa and Toño, whose mom cat and HER mom both got exposed to a neighborhood cat with FeLv.  Kittens in one litter born dead.  Kittens in other all positive and had to be EU.  All adults cats in the house sterilized immediately and Rosa and Toño strictly warned not to get any more until all die off (and they will) because the adults are positive as well. And that's only ONE of the many fatal diseases etc. awaiting cats exposed to local ferals.

That's before we talk about kids  that try to catch/torture cats, or street dogs with strong prey drive who kill cats for fun or food. So while the four I had left when I closed the doors back in 2004 didn't like it at first, they all adjusted.  Two are gone now (13 and 15) due to illnesses and a 16-yr old is going strong.  Four aged 5 and under will never set one paw outside, and likely will also live long and happy lives.  So judge not when you don't know the realities of cat life in Mexico

• Thanks 1

Last week at Costco the normal asking price for the 19 kilo (40 lb bag) of Scoop-Away was $280 pesos but is was on sale at 25% off for $210 pesos. So I bought a bag.  What I didn't mention was that a few weeks before I bought the same product and sized bag for I believe $385 pesos here lakeside, because I didn't know I was going to Costco or that the product would be on sale

Oh well, I guess I now have enough Scoop-Away for a very long time.

Natasha- I guess i'm lucky- I don't live in an area where people put out poison, take pot shots at animals, nor are there any cat-attacking dogs. The cat I have now was actually a stray in the neighborhood for a couple of years, until she decided she lives at my place. No amount of chasing her off worked, so I just resigned myself. She seems to spend about 22 hours a day laying on my patio cushions, anyway, doesn't seem to be interested in going out carousing.

Thanks, all - sounds like I need to try Scoop Away, since the box is in a high traffic area (i.e. my shower stall for ease of cleaning). I'll see if I can get it delivered from Costco. And I have to agree with Natasha; I live in a semi-rural area and I've noticed that the free-range cats I see don't seem to be around for very long, though I don't know why, exactly. I just know I won't risk losing mine - I kept the last one in after I moved here 11 years ago and she lived to almost 18. Appreciate the advice!

• Like 1