Chapala.com Webboard

Elena's

Senoir D

Wife and I had lunch at Elena's today , across from Mel's . It is mexican food , nothing more nothing less.Good food , large portions , I need a nap. Very nice people and cheerful employees .Very attentive service, checked on us often . Many selections on menu .Need to modify a menu selection , no problem. Nice replacement for the departed El Serape . Red sauce is good , green sauce is great with a bite. Plenty of seating inside and out. You may love it or you may not but they deserve a chance to serve you , give them a shot . Remember , if you don't like something doesn't mean it's wrong , just not necessarily  for you. Street parking not a problem. Beer and wine available , liquor coming soon, it's mexico. 10to 10 EVERYDAY.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Senoir D said:

Wife and I had lunch at Elena's today , across from Mel's . It is mexican food , nothing more nothing less.Good food , large portions , I need a nap. Very nice people and cheerful employees .Very attentive service, checked on us often . Many selections on menu .Need to modify a menu selection , no problem. Nice replacement for the departed El Serape . Red sauce is good , green sauce is great with a bite. Plenty of seating inside and out. You may love it or you may not but they deserve a chance to serve you , give them a shot . Remember , if you don't like something doesn't mean it's wrong , just not necessarily  for you. Street parking not a problem. Beer and wine available , liquor coming soon, it's mexico. 10to 10 EVERYDAY.

I don't know you, Senoir D, but I am assuming you're a stand up guy, so don't take this the wrong way: It really chaps my butt when someone on this board reviews a place and then lectures me on how I should think about it, and how I should give them a chance, and how everyone is different. In my mid-60s now, I think I've figured that part of life out, as have we all. Give me advice on where to get my car fixed, what day I should buy airline tickets, or how to make chicken broth. Do not tell me how to think.

As far as restaurants go, we all will make up our own minds regardless of any pontificating anyway.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 7

According to tomgates, Elena's is on the SE corner of Zaragosa and Aquiles Serdan in Ajijic. Senior D the carreterra and Zaragosa run parallel so you can't turn from one to the other. Turn south from the carreterra onto Aquiles Serdan and in one short block Elena's should be on your left at the corner. Don't turn left on Zaragosa as it is one way going west unless times have changed. The indicated location, many years ago, used to be a well known drug selling house and I'm glad to hear times must have changed.

19 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

I don't know you, Senoir D, but I am assuming you're a stand up guy, so don't take this the wrong way: It really chaps my butt when someone on this board reviews a place and then lectures me on how I should think about it, and how I should give them a chance, and how everyone is different. In my mid-60s now, I think I've figured that part of life out, as have we all. Give me advice on where to get my car fixed, what day I should buy airline tickets, or how to make chicken broth. Do not tell me how to think.

As far as restaurants go, we all will make up our own minds regardless of any pontificating anyway.

Quoting Senoir D, "You may love it or you may not but they deserve a chance to serve you , give them a shot . Remember , if you don't like something doesn't mean it's wrong , just not necessarily  for you."

Quoting Computer Guy, "lectures me on how I should think about it, and how I should give them a chance, and how everyone is different. In my mid-60s now, I think I've figured that part of life out"

Sounds like to me Computer Guy you may have it all figured out in your mid 60's but might want to re-read what Senoir D wrote in his comment.  I do not see where he LECTURED anyone.  Just gave a nice write up about a place he ate today and wanted to let people know his thoughts and impression, PERIOD.  Might you be having a bad day, can't read, comprehend or what?  You should apologize for your rude remarks.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 5

Thanx suegarn I've been hear a long time  but for obvious reasons I have avoided posting or responding to posts .I'm still learning , I DON'T have it all figured out. Feel free to help me when you see fit because I am no longer sitting on the sidelines.I'll try to remain civil but it will be hard after a lot of the things I have read over the years. Hope I won't be perceived as one of the mean people and get booted by the mods.

I make a single good point, so those who disagree are now saying I've "got it all figured out". As if that kind of statement is going to detract the rest of us from what's going on. You really do think we are stupid, don't you? Stupid and unknowing.

We have been lectured to dozens of times on this board about "giving them a chance"; that says to me you assuming that as a group, we wouldn't. And I do mean lectured. Telling me that we "are all different" is kindergarten-level, patronizing advice. There was no jest in your post, Senoir. (Except maybe in the spelling of your online identity.

And do reread what I wrote: I said it was nothing personal. But you took it that way anyway, because now that you've decided to participate, that was your gut reaction. Oh, what pleasure it must have given you to type "People like you" after all this time.

• Like 2
  • Sad 12

• 2 weeks later...

We ate lunch there Sunday.  What we had was good, not great.  Big menu, will go back and try other items.  I ordered guacamole and they said they didn't have any because they could not find any avocados in town to buy.  Yet when our plates arrived, there was sliced avocado on them.  Their chile rellenos were very good, about the same as what I get at Chile Verde and the Jardin Plaza.  The pork colorado (which they hype on their menu) was a bit dry and sauce a bit bland.  Chips and salsas and pico de gallo were good.  Service was good and food came out fast, but we were the only customers.  

Phone is 331 877 6314

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎8‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 6:13 PM, ComputerGuy said:

I make a single good point, so those who disagree are now saying I've "got it all figured out". As if that kind of statement is going to detract the rest of us from what's going on. You really do think we are stupid, don't you? Stupid and unknowing.

We have been lectured to dozens of times on this board about "giving them a chance"; that says to me you assuming that as a group, we wouldn't. And I do mean lectured. Telling me that we "are all different" is kindergarten-level, patronizing advice. There was no jest in your post, Senoir. (Except maybe in the spelling of your online identity.

And do reread what I wrote: I said it was nothing personal. But you took it that way anyway, because now that you've decided to participate, that was your gut reaction. Oh, what pleasure it must have given you to type "People like you" after all this time.

This is great advertising for your business. Dunno why you advertise in...…………………. Deleted by MOD 5 your negative comments went a little too far, ficklepie.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Anyone have an updated phone number, need to make a reservation for a medium group and I have 3 phone numbers and none are good.

331-877-6313 This one finally worked after calling for 2 days.

331-877-6314

331-877-6343

• 1 month later...

Tried Elena's out...  Delicous! Just what we were looking for...  They have a chimichanga (At Elena's it is called; Chimi Ranchero - Chicken Pork or beef 65.00) which filled a craving that was missing since El Sarape closed...Now to try everything else on this menu, for this was outstanding!  The staff was so very friendly and we actually fell into a special: Senior Wednesday discount.  

We will be back... Very good.  PS The Chimi Ranchero has sauce and cheese on top, and if you want the crispi fried of a Chimichanga, will have to ask for sauce on the side!

• Like 1

The last time I was there a couple of weeks ago they had 40% for seniors on Wednesdays.  I think it is still going on so it makes for a great value.  I usually get the enchiladas ranchero but last time I had the flautus with beef and the meat was tough.  Next time I will have my usual enchiladas.  I meet with a group there about once a month and everyone loves the burritos.