Chapala.com Webboard

Looking for furniture to furnish a 3 bedroom home

We are moving full time Lakeside but have leased an unfurnished 3 bedroom home and won't be bringing any furnishings from NOB. I know there are second hand shops and I will certainly check them out when we arrive mid September but if there are any folks with extra furniture or anyone moving away with furniture they won't be taking we would be very interested. Not looking for any handouts, most happy to pay for comfortable furnishings. Also would appreciate any suggestions of where to find new or custom made furnishings. I think we will rent an airBnB for the first week or so just so we are not trying to live in a home with no furnishings so we will have some time to source the things we need. 

Furniture and household goods are highly sought after here. Most that doesn't go directly to the Bazars (second hand stores) is either sold at private sales or is posted on the local FB page Beg Barter Buy and Sell. Here's the link. The private sales are posted there as well. There's not much you can actually do until you are physically here. https://apps.facebook.com/groups/785666514831385/?ref=bookmarks

There is a furniture store next to Sunrise Cafe on the Carretera in San Antonio (can't think of the name).  They have good quality furniture.  There is another called San Francisco in Chapala on the SE corner of Francisco Madero and Hidalgo, right as you enter Chapala.  May not be as good quality as the one in SAT but passable.  Otherwise, try any of the local bazaars.  Good idea to rent Air BNB and have a good look around first.

• Like 2

i have a handmade very unusual desk and chair...1 of only 6 made by an artist in Santa fe NM, i also have a large antique...weathered look bungarian kitchen hutch...and a wiker coffe table for indoors or out on a porch or terraza... if you are interested in any of these pm me and i will send pictures and pricing. the kitchen hutch can come apart. i used the long bottom piece with 2 cabinet doors and put a long rustic candalabra on it. the top piece with shelves i put in an extra bedroom and used as a low bookcase. let me know

• Confused 1

8 hours ago, Bonbelle said:

i have a handmade very unusual desk and chair...1 of only 6 made by an artist in Santa fe NM, i also have a large antique...weathered look bungarian kitchen hutch...and a wiker coffe table for indoors or out on a porch or terraza... if you are interested in any of these pm me and i will send pictures and pricing. the kitchen hutch can come apart. i used the long bottom piece with 2 cabinet doors and put a long rustic candalabra on it. the top piece with shelves i put in an extra bedroom and used as a low bookcase. let me know

What is a "bungarian" kitchen hutch?

'

• Haha 1

Ocotlan is full of showrooms of furniture done there. All modern. Tlaquepaque haf better quality traditional furniture. There are tons of furniture stores in Guadaljara and there are two wholesale furniture show in Guadaljara at the Expo mueble. One was last week and the next one will be in February. You can go with someone who has a business and buy.

Do not rush there are lots of choice at all kinds of prices. Buy new beds. The wendy brand in Mexico is excellent.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, happyjillin said:

Whoops,haha! I am curious as to why you think it's Hungarian. I am quite familiar with the folk furniture of Europe and the Americas. Can you post a picture?

i can. i did know the owner of the store where i purchased it from quite well and i dont think she would tell me it was from Hungary if it wasn't but you never know. I wonder if you would know anything about what is called a halltree from Europe. i recently purchased it but cannot find much information...but they tolx me the name of this type of furniture started with coco....something. that is about all the info i have but am trying to coĺlect more. it appears to have brass as well as bronze with a large mirror and hooks for a purse with a marble shelf to set things upon. it is, i think a really unique and beautiful piece.

1 minute ago, happyjillin said:

I cannot give you proper assistance unless you show me pictures. T he only thing i helped you with was the word Rococo

thankyou...i am not feeling well and am laying down. i can get a picture to you by tomorrow of the hall tree. the other piece i am working on and can get you a picture with piece on top and without piece on top. thanks so muvh for your help. bonbelle

5 hours ago, bmh said:

Ocotlan is full of showrooms of furniture done there. All modern. Tlaquepaque haf better quality traditional furniture. There are tons of furniture stores in Guadaljara and there are two wholesale furniture show in Guadaljara at the Expo mueble. One was last week and the next one will be in February. You can go with someone who has a business and buy.

Do not rush there are lots of choice at all kinds of prices. Buy new beds. The wendy brand in Mexico is excellent.

Thank you so much bmh! Just the information I was looking for:-) 

1 hour ago, Bonbelle said:

i can. i did know the owner of the store where i purchased it from quite well and i dont think she would tell me it was from Hungary if it wasn't but you never know. I wonder if you would know anything about what is called a halltree from Europe. i recently purchased it but cannot find much information...but they tolx me the name of this type of furniture started with coco....something. that is about all the info i have but am trying to coĺlect more. it appears to have brass as well as bronze with a large mirror and hooks for a purse with a marble shelf to set things upon. it is, i think a really unique and beautiful piece.

Could be a Coco Chanel design. The metal could be called ormalu, Gianni Versace collected a lot of this when he was alive. If any of these things can be proven by provenance, you could have some very valuable pieces.

We just bought a used office chair on beg/barter, the person is liquidating a large country house. They seem to have excellent taste, and probably even have some horse tack.

3 hours ago, CHILLIN said:

Could be a Coco Chanel design. The metal could be called ormalu, Gianni Versace collected a lot of this when he was alive. If any of these things can be proven by provenance, you could have some very valuable pieces.

We just bought a used office chair on beg/barter, the person is liquidating a large country house. They seem to have excellent taste, and probably even have some horse tack.

thanks chillin also happyjillin sent a pic to me of something called rococo and it was a wood piece but extremely ornate and carved. i was just about to send her a picture by pm. i still do not even now what i am doing here. what is the difference in a notification and a pm? i am going to try to send a picture to her and to you also. thanks bonbelle

We were recently shopping for furniture and it depends on how much money you want to spend.  For a basic bed I recommend in San Antonio on the carretera on the corner west of Super Lake is a mattress store with a good selection and good prices.  For other furniture we bought in Jocotepec.  Two blocks west of Chapala Bus Stop is a warehouse furniture store with good prices and they will deliver.  Better furniture can be bought in Guadalajara and most stores will deliver.  Liverpool has an excellent selection and they will deliver.

• Like 1

On 8/18/2019 at 8:20 AM, Susy Wilson said:

We are moving full time Lakeside but have leased an unfurnished 3 bedroom home and won't be bringing any furnishings from NOB. I know there are second hand shops and I will certainly check them out when we arrive mid September but if there are any folks with extra furniture or anyone moving away with furniture they won't be taking we would be very interested. Not looking for any handouts, most happy to pay for comfortable furnishings. Also would appreciate any suggestions of where to find new or custom made furnishings. I think we will rent an airBnB for the first week or so just so we are not trying to live in a home with no furnishings so we will have some time to source the things we need. 

Check out Got Stuff on Facebook.  Julie and Wayne do estate and moving sales.  Their prices are reasonable compared to some local second hand furniture places.  Get on their email list.  

• Like 1