Chapala.com Webboard

Cell Hotspot

JGiff

Hola

I am new here and I am purchasing a place in San Nicolas de Ibarra . Does anyone know what the cellular service is like in that area ? I know it's a personal thing but who would you use in the area for a supplier. 

I am looking at having a MiFi that I can connect my electronics to, like I do when I travel to the USA.  I'm from WC Canada.  Do people use these there and if so is it expensive ?  I have looked at some of AT&T's plans but not sure how good it is. 

I will only be part time in Mexico, 4-5 months, so I'm not sure how it would work for have hard wired internet/cable tv at the house.

Any and all information would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers 

Cell service is generally good in San Nicolas; you can get the Telcel Amigo plan with data and "pay as you go", just visit a local Telcel shop in Chapala for  the SIM card and any setup assistance needed.

more than enough data, inexpensively, to use your cell as a wifi hotspot to your laptop / etc.     Added bonus - the Telcel plans also work in the US & C.....!!   For both calls and data.

1 hour ago, Go Solar said:

Cell service is generally good in San Nicolas; you can get the Telcel Amigo plan with data and "pay as you go", just visit a local Telcel shop in Chapala for  the SIM card and any setup assistance needed.

more than enough data, inexpensively, to use your cell as a wifi hotspot to your laptop / etc.     Added bonus - the Telcel plans also work in the US & C.....!!   For both calls and data.

Thank you very much Go Solar.  I am glad to hear that..

7 hours ago, JGiff said:

I will only be part time in Mexico, 4-5 months, so I'm not sure how it would work for have hard wired internet/cable tv at the house.

The Telmex basic 389 peso landline service includes phone & DSL internet, which also gives you the ability to have security cams when you are not there.....could be a good option year round to have it.

3 minutes ago, RickS said:

Understand the true meaning of the word mañana!

First you think it means tomorrow....then you think it means "sometime"...then you come to realize it really means "maybe".

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/17/2019 at 9:57 AM, Go Solar said:

Ties in nicely with another great word:   esperamos.    Meaning:   "we wait"....AND...."we hope".     And makes perfect sense!    😉

Hope is usually expressed with, "Ojala", which derives from the hispanomuselmanos form of, "If Alla wills it." After all, they were a Moorish culture until the "Catholic Kings" in 1492, just a very short time before they became Conquistadores. That is also why the architecture is a very simple Middle Eastern in style, but without the Arabesque adornments. Even "Guadalajara" is Arabic, as is much of the Spanish language.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

I was told Ojala more closely translates "God willing".  Who knows, but when someone says "Ojala" to me, I don't count on anything being done or happening at a specific time. Only if "God is willing". Just another great word that is very useful when someone is trying to pin you down, lol.

Yes, that is the same meaning, and the same god, if any were to exist.  But, at that time, and in that place, it was Allah.  The Catholic conversion just changed the name to God; Dios, Dieu, Zeus, Ra, etc......Take your pick.  It still translates to maybe, sometime, perhaps, or not, depending upon whatever.....

• Haha 2

Ojalá comes directly from the Arabic Inshallah, may God/Allah grant it.  And yes RVGringo, much of Spanish has been influenced more or less by Arabic.  In fact, to say Allah in Spanish is Alá, so now you can see how it is pertaining to Allah.  An interesting You Tube video that shows a Speaker of Spanish and a speaker of Arabic comparing the two languages is this: