Chapala.com Webboard

OBTAINING A MEDICATION

I am on a slew of cardiac meds and, of course, frequently hear from the pharmacy I normally use that "they don't make that anymore". Usually I find that to be false and after I buy it at another pharmacy and show it to my usual pharmacy (I do not say Pharmacist because I often doubt that the person waiting on me is truly a Pharm D. or has much training in the field of pharmacy) the guy suddenly discovers that they really do still make the drug I need.  

I know that a physician has to own the pharmacy but they do not have to personally staff it here.

Now I really need help. I need to buy about 20 tabs of REQUIP GO (aka ROPINIROLE WINTHROP EFG (o.25 mg). The Internet says that you can get it in Mexico but every pharmacy I go to locally and in Guadalajara says that they no longer manufacture it. I need it because I will be travelling 12 hours each way on a plane (OMG) and I have RLS. Yes, I know that there are three other drugs to treat the condition--I have tried them and had an allergic reaction to them. Yes, I have tried various OTC preparations from the U.S. that friends have brought me but they have done nothing to help. I can live with Restless Leg Syndrome at home where I can walk, run and jump it off but to be in a metal tube for 12 hours each way will be agony--and I don't want to end up on You Tube being carried off a flight raving like a lunatic. It is a flight over the Atlantic Ocean and I don't swim.  😉

Does anyone know where I can get this? No one is coming back from NOB before my trip or I would ask them to just get a script for the Requip (I know of no physician who would refuse a script to anyone complaining of RLS) and buy a box. Now I am getting desperate. 

Unfortunately, you may be out of luck.

Found the following on Google:  Parkinson Disease, RLS Treatment Ropinirole Hydrochloride To Be Discontinued. ... The FDA has announced the upcoming discontinuation for Parkinson disease and restless legs syndrome treatment ropinirole hydrochloride (Requip, GlaxoSmithKline).Jan 4, 2019

You might give Farmacias Paris in Mexico City a try; here's an English language link:  http://www.farmaciaparis.com/movil/ingles/ 

They're well known for having things that nobody else has.  Best of luck to you!

Monesson, I can totally relate. I get that too, but only when I have to sit for long periods of time without being able to change position. I've never taken medication for it, but the 4-5 hour flight from Mexico to Canada really pushes the limits. I end up standing in the aisle from time to time. I have a brother who lives in Australia and a stepmom in England who I'd love to go visit, but the mere thought of 8-14 hours on a plane makes me feel crazy. In fact, I and a friend who also has it call it "Crazy Legs."

I wonder if a nerve blocker like Neurontin, which is available OTC might work? Or is that something you've tried?

Clonazapam. AKA Rivotril here. Works like a charm, but not sure about interactions with other meds.

It is the only med I have found that works for me.

In my experience,  it is NOT over the counter here. I take it regularly for RLS, especially on overseas flights.It is considered a Controlled Substance. You MUST have an Rx and they will keep the Rx. 

sm1mex, I would appreciate a PM with the name of the Pharmacy where I can get it without an Rx !

Mirapex  (pramipexole), - have you tried this / talked with MD about it?    A primary Parkinson's med, also widely used in lower doses, for RLS, with good effect.

https://www.drugs.com/comments/pramipexole/for-restless-legs-syndrome.html

23 hours ago, cstone said:

Clonazapam. AKA Rivotril here. Works like a charm, but not sure about interactions with other meds.

It is the only med I have found that works for me.

In my experience,  it is NOT over the counter here. I take it regularly for RLS, especially on overseas flights.It is considered a Controlled Substance. You MUST have an Rx and they will keep the Rx. 

sm1mex, I would appreciate a PM with the name of the Pharmacy where I can get it without an Rx !

Taped to the window of the "farmacia" at our ISSSTE clinic.

20190815_095626.jpg

15 minutes ago, cstone said:

Well, thanks for the info. It's hard when a Central Nervous System disorder like RLS has so few meds that actually work. 

Something else to consider if you or others haven't already. You hear a lot about opioid dependency and withdrawal, but relatively little about benzo's. 

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7841856

Thanks for the responses. I have tried all other RLS meds with the help of the Neurologist and my cardiac physician (Dr. Briseño) at Quality Care. I will ask him about using Rivotril. I only need it for the 12 hour trips to and from Europe with a dose two days prior to the trip to make sure that I do not have an allergic reaction on the plane. Recently I have met so many people down here with RLS and I knew many in the U.S. when I worked in health care there. There really are / were only 4 drugs recommended for RLS and now that Requip is no longer available it is down to 3. I dread the flight going to Europe but I have no choice and the individual I am accompanying was refused a transit visa to take a shorter flight from the U.S. I guess that they view him as a danger to life and limb  😠

Thanks for the info, APACHEWOMAN. I knew about it as I taught nursing for 21 years and have had personal experience with it. Almost all articles focus on RLS when you are trying to sleep but mine will occur while I am seated in an airplane for 12 hours. I will be able to stand up at times and I have a lot of experience doing leg exercises (I used to fly to West Africa from the U.S. with only a stop in Paris) but I rarely experienced relief. I don't have Diabetes and my diet is good. RLS is one of those terrible syndromes that lack research funding to find treatments. I appreciate your research on my behalf.   😉

i take clonaepam for bi-polar disorder. i buy it from lupe at maskaras pharmacy. there are 2 now. one by the old Maskaras clinic and a new one in a small strip cener on the careterra just east of the turn ins to lower chula vista and San Anyonio. just a block from  down from oxxo on same side of street. There is a new printing graphics store there, ganesha spa, an art gallery, and a tile and grout store. it is just west of new hospital. i am on the lowest dosage which is 2 mg. she sells it a few drugs that you normally you need a perscription for. possibly different liscence than some. if you tell her what you need it for. she is at her store by hospital from 8-4 and the other store by the old clinic is open from 9-5. they always have it in stock. i saw here ask one person only for a prescription. if you need a scrip there is ajijic clinic..or your dr. in Chapala at the main light across the street there is a parmacy with a doctor that only charges 60p to see him and he will write you a svcript. you have to ask for the doctor who is upstairs.  i go thru light and park. as you face the light coming from ajijic there is a furniture store on the right corner...it is on same side of street but the opposite corner about 3-4 stores up. you will see it or ask anyone there on corner if you dont see it. it helps people sleep also. not me it makes me run around. oh well. cost at maskaras is 150p per box of 28 or 30. i used neuronton in states to keep me level. it is sold OTC generic name Gabapentina. i was in shock here though as i was on 1200 mg  in US and felt nothing. i bought the generic gabapentina and only took 2 tabs of 400 mg twice the first day. it was very strong...i didnt know what hit me. i am not a fan of benzo's but being on a low dose once a day will not turn your brain to much. As my bi-polar has decreased intensley due to lack of so much stress i was under i have found something amazing for me. there is a small natural health store on caraterra by the gas company where the pool supply store is. it is a sublingual bottle of vitamin B-12. you can take up to 3 times a day. one eye droper full 3 times a day. hold undér tongue for 30 sec and swallow. i started the first couple days with 3 doses and now i only take one dose in morning and sometimes 1/2  dose if needed .05mg in evening. when i tried this i couldnt believe it. dose and goodbye nerves of body and mind within 5 minutes. amazing and he sells alot of it. approx cost 200p for 59 doses. he may also sell it in sublingual pills. my body reacts differently than alot of people because of what i have but if you go talk to lupe at maskaras by hospital and tell her what you have and she will probably just sell it to you OTC. As it puts many people to sleep you may want to try 1/2 pill 1st. sleeping on plane is great but you dont want to go to sleep while boarding. best of luck to you. i love the vitamin B-12. if none of these suggestions work for you please pm me as i have more but am taking a whole page just for this. Bonbelle