Chapala.com Webboard

Thoughtless trades people

17 minutes ago, pappysmarket said:

Phd dissertation?

I pity the school where a basic XML document is more than a class project...the basic technical functions involved are built into the software and only require thoughtful analysis and multilingual 'labeling'. The magic is in the top level design that provides obvious utility and invites adoption. 

A study of the adoption, use, impact, etc. of such a tool might merit a serious study - a friend got a PhD in something like the anthropology of education from Stanford for an impact study in Micronesia over several years. 

<racism?> In the 80's, Jean Lave at Berkeley came up with the idea of "cognitive apprenticeships" ...</racism?>...

• Haha 1

Mainecoons is 100% correct. Use this site for good references.

As for all the apologists for the scam-artists who are "just Mexicans trying to make a living".. go jump in the lake.

"You just dont understand the culture" is total BS... and posturing yourself as noble is even worse.

In law, we call that a criminal co-conspirator.

Living here as long as I have... I am possibly more Mexican than my bloodline shows.

A crook is a crook no matter where they were born or their nationality.

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

9 hours ago, Aquaponicsman said:

Mainecoons is 100% correct. Use this site for good references.

As for all the apologists for the scam-artists who are "just Mexicans trying to make a living".. go jump in the lake.

"You just dont understand the culture" is total BS... and posturing yourself as noble is even worse.

In law, we call that a criminal co-conspirator.

Living here as long as I have... I am possibly more Mexican than my bloodline shows.

A crook is a crook no matter where they were born or their nationality.

I reread this thread to be sure I had not missed something. The OP talked about “thoughtless,rude,inconsiderate tradesmen” who don’t make a telephone  call when they will be late or not be able to keep an appointment. Every comment after that discussed this problem. Where did you come up with this being “apologists for scam artists” and telling these imaginary posters to go jump in the lake? But, that was not enough. You continued your rant calling these people “criminal co-conspirators” along with the Mexican “crooks” they defend. Really? Workers are crooks and criminals because  they don’t call or show up when they say they will? Over-react much? 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 6
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Xena said:

The OP talked about “thoughtless,rude,inconsiderate tradesmen” who don’t make a telephone  call when they will be late or not be able to keep an appointment.

With respect, check it again - he was writing about those who actually DO call....

Things do happen - a previous service call can run late, traffic from Guad & even frequently at lakeside can be a $%&*#@.....our teams are "drilled" to let clients know if a deviation from a scheduled time may be needed.... especially the lakeside clients who have a NOB perspective and plan & value their retirement time!!

4 minutes ago, Go Solar said:

With respect, check it again - he was writing about those who actually DO call....

Things do happen - a previous service call can run late, traffic from Guad & even frequently at lakeside can be a $%&*#@.....our teams are "drilled" to let clients know if a deviation from a scheduled time may be needed.... especially the lakeside clients who have a NOB perspective and plan & value their retirement time!!

Since it makes no sense to me that he would complain about receiving a call about being late or not coming, I assumed he meant they never think about calling. Unless the OP comes back to say what he meant we will never know. 

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, happyjillin said:

The criticism usually comes from people who don't count and dare i say are generally persons of lesser intelligence.

Last time read similar sentiments was in a tract by Frederick Douglass quoting an anti-abolitionist. Sometimes a persons true character can't help but betray oneself, huh?

On 8/15/2019 at 10:49 AM, utilitus said:

It would be wonderful if such a practical and humane (and thereby intelligent) approach could be codified as a sort of form (on paper but better if accessible and interactive online also) providing in a casual and friendly way all the relevant information and basic interface tools, relevant to the tasks at hand, updated as conveniently as possible. 

Huh?

40 minutes ago, addtocart said:

Huh?

The topic is "Thoughtless trades people".

For a very general idea about using, for example, a simple phone message template or app to provide a specialized, convenient and timely source of actionable information, particularly for those familiar with such technology but not its' most efficient use, see: https://captology.stanford.edu/about/what-is-captology.html

• Sad 1

On 8/14/2019 at 6:36 PM, AlanMexicali said:

Tradesmen phoning you LOL. and getting an angry rude foreigner´s remarks WILL be avoided possibly. We use tradesmen all the time with the many rental properties we have and this summer our house to repaint the roof and replace the solar hot water system. My wife and I know what "educado" is. We are friendly and polite with everyone no matter what. We say good morning and how are you and your familly etc. in person or on the phone. It is considered very rude to phone someone and start bitching first. This is why you use WhatsApp to connect. Your message Will be read! We always are polite when writing a message. Example: Good afternoon Arturo. I hope you are doing OK and know you and your crew are always very busy. We will wait for you until 3 o' clock today and tommorow is not good for us.  I hope to hear when is good for you to come and do the job for us, Thank you. Alan. This works every time and we never are out of communication with anyone when using WhatsApp in Mexico. Old fashioned calling on cell phones was obsolite years ago here in San Luis Potosí. Only family and close friends use them to call or call to get information from a service desk etc.. You just don't know how!

1 hour ago, utilitus said:

The topic is "Thoughtless trades people".

For a very general idea about using, for example, a simple phone message template or app to provide a specialized, convenient and timely source of actionable information, particularly for those familiar with such technology but not its' most efficient use, see: https://captology.stanford.edu/about/what-is-captology.html

I presume you didn't read my post. They - tradesmen - know how to communicate with their clients. It appears the OP doesn't know how. That is his problem that has him so frustrated probably.

• Like 8