Chapala.com Webboard

Tourist visa extension

We got tourists visa at the airport. I asked for 180 day visas. My question is on getting the 180 day extension. I've heard from people there is a way of getting the extension without leaving Mexico, but can't seem to find information online. Anyone got any links or suggestions of someone to contact to solve this problem?

• Confused 1

"I've heard from people". Hmmm. Those people are obviously ill-informed. The tourist visa is max 180 days. There is no process for extensions. There is no "problem", just the immigration laws and policies, which are expected to be respected. You have to leave the country by the time your visa runs out and re-enter.

• Like 4

Ah, that explains it. My husband and I went to Ajijic so he could go into a nursing home, while I returned to the US to work.  Someone at one of the homes we looked at said it was possible to get his extension without his leaving Mexico. This was last month. I'm back in the US trying to figure out how to arrange his extension before it turns into a crisis. He has a doctor at his Ajijic nursing facility, so the medical certification won't be a problem. If anyone has a suggestion for an attorney to help me with an extension, I'd appreciate a message.  

17 hours ago, Jeraldina said:

Ah, that explains it. My husband and I went to Ajijic so he could go into a nursing home, while I returned to the US to work.  Someone at one of the homes we looked at said it was possible to get his extension without his leaving Mexico. This was last month. I'm back in the US trying to figure out how to arrange his extension before it turns into a crisis. He has a doctor at his Ajijic nursing facility, so the medical certification won't be a problem. If anyone has a suggestion for an attorney to help me with an extension, I'd appreciate a message.  

And now, the rest of the story ! :D