Chapala.com Webboard

This is a picture of the Super Boost Wi Fi device

sm1mex

New Wifi Booster  Everybody in Mexico is Talking AboutMSN keeps having an ad for this Super Boost Wi Fi speed device in Mexico.  Has anyone heard of this?  It says it will boost your wi fi speed from 8.5 to 32.2.  You have to order it on line and they are offering a 50% discount now so the price is $49.99.

You can plug this device into any electrical outlet in the house and it will increase wi fi through concrete walls or any room in the house including upstairs.

I don't know if this is a really good device or a scam.  Anyone heard of this device?

web site is techdiscountdeals.com

I got a few Lagunanet modems that will work just as well for only half that price, once the lagunanet signal is reactivated. Pay me in advance, and once there is a signal, I will send you this/these great 802.11b wifi device, and/or devices for no additional charge except for my delivery fee.. .

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, sm1mex said:

It says it will boost your wi fi speed from 8.5 to 32.2.  

As suggested in the other thread, a booster/repeater... which is what this is..... will/can not INCREASE you speed from 8.5 to 32.2. What MAY happen is if your own wifi router is a weak one and the speed falls off sharply the farther you get away from it (presumedly like the ILOX fiber modem does), this device COULD be stronger and give one better speeds. But if one is only getting/paying for 10gbps service from the ISP, then this device is surely not going to give one over that 10... it will not manufacture more speed!

You can plug this device into any electrical outlet in the house and it will increase wi fi through concrete walls or any room in the house including upstairs.

Judging by the picture and what it says on the website, it is at best misleading. It will not do what you described above. You plug it into an outlet and then it looks like you run an ethernet cable from the router portion of your modem to this repeater (as it appears in the picture). You can save yourself some money by running the cable directly to your computer. That said, it may work for you with some trial and error...you can move this device around the area where your modem/wifi router is and it may improve the signal in the area you are wanting to fix.

If it's just one area you need to improve, a bridge/AP with a directional antenna would be better (and quite a few allow you to change the strength of signal output, a regulation that differs from country to country, and most people ignore). There is supposed to be a Ubiquiti dealer in Guadalajara.