Chapala.com Webboard

What Food Do You Most Miss At Lake Chapala?

rafterbr

What I  try to do is make my own here like this Italian steak on a bun from the original San Francescos beside the Clinton Tavern in Little Italy,Toronto. I believe that I have created a reasonable facsimile  but using bolillos because nobody here seems to know how to bake a good bun.

san francescos steak on a bun.jpg

On 8/10/2019 at 10:06 AM, happyjillin said:

I've had duck confit at a restaurant here but I  can't remember which one. Besides that several stores sell whole frozen  ducks including the world famous Brome Lake,Quebec duck.

One of the pics is confit a la Brome Lake.

brome lake ducks.jpg

Brome Confit.JPG

Care to mention specific stores by chance? I would be a happy buyer. 😊👍😊

On 8/10/2019 at 12:51 PM, happyjillin said:

This is only a fraction of what the real deal dim sum looks like and a lot of it is prepared by steaming. An Edmonton Alberta dim sum.

dim sum edmonton.jpg

Betty does a good job with her dim sum meals, but it is not the same I lived in Hong Kong, Singapore, and Sydney and I want carts, and hundreds of diners around me.

• Like 1

Very true!  A Dim Sum Restaurant must stay busy in order to have a steady flow of fresh, hot dishes continuously loaded on those carts and delivered to the diners in rapid succession, so that they have lots of choices.

My memory circuits just flashed back to the Silver Dragon, in Calgary.  Wish I were there!

What I miss of the food when I lived at Lakeside:
--the wonderful fonda that used to be on the carretera (instead of the two locales next door to what is now Arrañaga's tejuino y nieve place)
--doña Mago on the weekends, fantastic tacos from her cart on Constitución near Donato Guerra. 
--José's Illusion Greek Restaurant.  I still dream about so many of the dishes on his menu.  

I miss time-saving pre-prepped ingredients when making a meal.  An upscale salad bar at large grocery store with a gazillion fresh ingredients that are already chopped, sliced and diced.  Purchase in small quantities, just enough for a specific recipe and eliminate storage or waste issues.   

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

• 4 weeks later...

I miss safe good raw oysters from Bartaria Bay or Matagorda bay. I'd even take them on a po'boy. Also Fried soft shell crabs. As well the frozen biscuits from Costco or Sams that you keep in the freezer and take out just two at a time and bake ever week need it or not. They're flakey and good as home made. A country salt cured ham a couple of times a year would help too. I have tried to bring the biscuits down a couple of times but even with dry ice they thaw some, still edible but stick together and loose the shape.

3 hours ago, geeser said:

I miss safe good raw oysters from Bartaria Bay or Matagorda bay. I'd even take them on a po'boy. Also Fried soft shell crabs. As well the frozen biscuits from Costco or Sams that you keep in the freezer and take out just two at a time and bake ever week need it or not. They're flakey and good as home made. A country salt cured ham a couple of times a year would help too. I have tried to bring the biscuits down a couple of times but even with dry ice they thaw some, still edible but stick together and loose the shape.

Just go to the Pacific beaches. I gorge on raw oysters on the shell there until I drop from having a full belly.

What food do you miss most at Lake Chapala?

The question for about 130 million of us is…...What food do you miss most when you are away from Lake Chapala, and I mean far away,  like another country?:D:D:D

But I suppose that should be another thread……..for me the list is long.  Hard to find good Mexican home cooking anywhere I´ve been except for a few isolated cases.