Chapala.com Webboard

Ilox Abandoning West Ajijic?

bedbug

A neighbor in my fracc, located on the west side of Ajijic near LaCristina, prepaid Ilox last year. He has been checking with the office periodically. This week he was told that Ilox will not do any installations out here due to lack of signups.

I prepaid in April 2018. The problem is at least 2 to 4 of my neighbors would not prepay, but would sign up is the service was available. So the number of prepaids really should not be the determining factor.

In any event, I have not been able to get any responses to emails trying to confirm this. If anyone knows about this, please let me know. My neighbor has requested a refund and I will do the same if it turns out I am waiting for nothing.

1 hour ago, bedbug said:

In any event, I have not been able to get any responses to emails trying to confirm this. If anyone knows about this, please let me know. My neighbor has requested a refund and I will do the same if it turns out I am waiting for nothing.

A more constructive response might be to contact someone in authority for deciding the footprint of the Ilox network and get, first, an estimate and then their clear intention to deploy if some subscription formula is satisfied or perhaps a special fee offered to compensate Ilox for the extra distance to Fort Apache.  Then canvass around your enclave and perhaps beyond to meet that quota with  'prepayments' for confirmed prompt installation.  And widely share your findings; there may be dozens of such edge cases, and an extra 300 mt of fiber doesn't cost that much to install to reach more remote users.  See:https://www.indeed.com.mx/cmp/Ilox-Telecomunicaciones/salaries

"So the number of prepaids really should not be the determining factor."  Except  that it seems to be. 

If there were any plans not to install Ilox would be refunding your money.  They are hiring additional crew and trying to speed up installations.  I know they've started in La Canacinta which is Western Ajijic. 

Since I live the next block over, that's news to me.

I have no problem waiting. The Ilox office is the entity that caused them to lose at least one prepaid customer.

As has been suggested many times in this forum, it would be helpful if Ilox were to send out some information about their plans from time to time or at least answer polite email request made to them.

Edited by bedbug
Mistake

Yeah I know they are not so hot on the communication side...We've told them many times...I guess a family owned Mexican thing...  But....contractually they are solid....They'll get there I'm sure.   Have more people in La Cristina signed up?   Strength in numbers....

Having been in the BnB business, we know all too well about people who want to make a reservation but don't want to make that deposit. "Oh, we really want to stay. Please hold that room for us". The old saying, Money talks and %#@*& walks. Then if Telmex comes along and upgrades, suddenly they have lost interest.

Since the staff at the local office know basically nothing except how to sign you up, and since iLox has been steadily growing and installing, I highly doubt the statement from the fracc neighbour is factual. And, Mr. Kessler would know.

Seems that less than a year and a half ago, NO ONE had any hope for improved Internet access. Now it's happening all over lakeside. If nothing else, iLox has kickstarted the anti-trust spirit here. It ain't NOB, though. Patience.

'iLox has kickstarted the anti-trust spirit here.' 

Sorry, CG, but an MBA course in Strategic Thinking would tell you that a major national monopoly like Telmex does does change course due to a local blip like Ilox! One can be fairly certain that whatever Telex is doing Lakeside has been in their strategic pipeline for several years.

https://www.lakeforestmba.edu/academics/courses/STR-5130-Strategic-Thinking.aspx

• Like 1

You are applying NOB logic to Mexico. Corporations here don't think like that at all. Everything is highly personal. And I don't believe in coincidence. iLox starts coming, suddenly TelMex and iFibra are all over the place? While Telecable, with a large infrastructure lakeside, rotates company names on an annual basis and tells customers "We don't make service calls anymore"?

This morning there was an Ilox truck fixing a drop that had broken at one of my neighbors. He was, by the way, very happy with the service.  I buttonholed the installation guys and asked them what gives on Riberas,  La Cristina, and Las Fuentes... Their answers:    Riberas:  The crews are in San Antonio now and Riberas is next.   La Cristina:    La Canacinta installing now and then they'll move west to La Cristina.  Las Fuentes:   They are still in construction of the infrastructure between Raquet Club and Chantepec area.  It will be a few months for drops to be ready there.  But they will get there. 

Tom, you and iLox should know that a company called UNET Telecommunications out of Joco may have stolen your Las Fuentes customers. THEY are being very proactive. No, they don't have phone but DO have very high speed internet and are very reasonably priced. The promises made and lack of communication by iLox are wearing very very thin at this point for most subscribers out there who prepaid over 15 months ago.

• Thanks 2

8 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

You are applying NOB logic to Mexico. Corporations here don't think like that at all. Everything is highly personal. And I don't believe in coincidence. iLox starts coming, suddenly TelMex and iFibra are all over the place? While Telecable, with a large infrastructure lakeside, rotates company names on an annual basis and tells customers "We don't make service calls anymore"?

Sorry CG. Monopolies operate the same everywhere.

I wish that I had your knowledge od this tech stuff!

enuf said!

On 8/3/2019 at 4:13 PM, tkessler said:

This morning there was an Ilox truck fixing a drop that had broken at one of my neighbors. He was, by the way, very happy with the service.  I buttonholed the installation guys and asked them what gives on Riberas,  La Cristina, and Las Fuentes... Their answers:    Riberas:  The crews are in San Antonio now and Riberas is next.   La Cristina:    La Canacinta installing now and then they'll move west to La Cristina.  Las Fuentes:   They are still in construction of the infrastructure between Raquet Club and Chantepec area.  It will be a few months for drops to be ready there.  But they will get there.

As always, Tom, thanks for the update. This weekend there were several iLox trucks along the lateral in lower Chula Vista, which is San Antonio as you pointed out. I'm in Riberas, hoping to see them soon.

Had an errand in Joco on Monday, so on the way back,  looked for Ilox drops?   Large rolls of cable, with a black box, hung on CFE poles?  So if I'm correct in identifying there are drops starting on the East end of Joco, by the tire shop all the way into SJC.  However a distinct gap in front of the El Tempisque entrance.  We're .64 km( 2112 feet) from the highway to our house, lot of cable and there's probably only 3-5 at the most interested in Ilox in our area.   Being a prepaid means nothing, only that you paved the way for the project to become real. 

Actually was behind a Ilox car from Ajijic to SJC where they turned off into side streets on Tuesday.

Tom:   I hope Ilox gives you free service for life given that they've neglected their responsibility to keep customers informed consistently since the project actually started last fall.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, tugwestend said:

Tom:   I hope Ilox gives you free service for life given that they've neglected their responsibility to keep customers informed consistently since the project actually started last fall.

I think that's a wonderful idea! They should! Tom has been admirably patient with his explanations to those of us that are getting a little ratty.

11 minutes ago, Ferret said:

I think that's a wonderful idea! They should! Tom has been admirably patient with his explanations to those of us that are getting a little ratty.

As one of the "ratty" ones I must agree with Ferret.

I must also find out what meds Tom uses to maintain his patience.

SunFan 

• Like 1

I have to agree the communications part was not ready for primetime..  On the other hand, they are working diligently, they will get there.   Hold the rattiness. 

• Haha 1

Definitely feeling 'ratty' here, and wondering if i'm being played for a fool.  I haven't heard a word from Ilox in many, many months, probably since very early 2019 or even late 2018.  When I signed up and paid my one year in advance, it was supposedly for 'preferred' installation after the first of this year.  What a crock of B.S.   I think I've seen them working out on the street here in lower Chula Vista, up on ladders, etc., but I haven't heard anything from them.  I'm starting to wonder if I'm better off just staying with Telmex which is cheaper.

You´ll have to weigh which crock of BS contains more BS.  Telmex ignoring the area for years with no one else willing to invest, or Ilox who did come in on the strength and faith of the prepaids (thanks Carolina!), are running behind, and could be a bit more communicative.  I wish I could waive a magic wand and have Ilox communicate more like an NOB company, but alas, we are SOB.   In some ways, thats why we all live here.  Go figure.     

• Like 2