Chapala.com Webboard

Shaw satellite TV is wacko today

cedros

It is doing all kinds of strange things today. I've been using it for 10 years and it has never acted so strange. 

There have been a number of wild wind storms lately. If the wind can blow a tree down, it can most certainly move your dish out of alignment. You need a service person to realign your dish... I bet my bottom dollar.

I phoned Shaw technical support and they quickly solved the problem. He told me that the 830 receivers have a weak point-their remotes. The 830 receiver uses the same remote as the 630. It wasn't a battery problem-just a glitch that a bit of fiddling fixed.

Thank goodness my dish is quite protected from wind.

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Wookie said:

Who are you getting your Shaw service from down here?  Our provider we have used for over 10 years took our last payment and left the country without a word.  We found out when our television no longer worked because she didn't make the payment required.

I have my own account with Shaw. I wonder if problems are coming with stacked accounts. Ajijic Electronics was taking preorders for the up date to the dish-not for the receiver (that apparently isn't really needed). These updates never seem to have arrived. I think Francine is still here as I sold her an extra dish I had.

I have a snowbird neighbor from BC. He does not share with anyone. And I just phoned him (he's here in Ajijic) and asked him if he has had any problems with his Shaw account.(so I could answer this post)  He said, none whatsoever . Everything is great

Me? I stream  and have Izzi (local cable) TV. I have no trouble as long as the internet is fast enough, which isn't always the case. :) 

Thanks all.  We have been talking to Francine but she has not been able to get enough equipment for her existing clients.  She took our receiver (I think it is called) and she is trying to work with Shaw and the lady that left with the money in order to get the account paid and free and clear.  Then we would, I think, rent the receiver back from her and she would supply the address ... Lord, I don't know how this works.  Anyway, would love to stream but our internet is not fast enough in Chula Vista.

I trust the folks at Ajijic Electronics. The problem with paying a year in advance is no one knows when Shaw Direct will start changing channels from the satellites we can receive down here over to the new Satellite Anik G-1 which can not be received this far south of Canada

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Wookie said:

Slainte39, how comfortable are you paying a year in advance?  We went by to see Ajijic Electronics as we really enjoyed having Shaw but after the other provider took our money and ran, we are just a little wary about paying a year in advance.

They have been in business here for 30 years, same owners, and I have had TV service from them that whole time.  If they were going to run with your money, they would be the slowest runners I have ever seen.  Turtles and snails would be faster.

18 hours ago, slainte39 said:

Ajijic Electronics just changed my LNB  a few weeks back, and everything works fine.  I think that was the only problem for the Shaw changeover.

I have been sent by Shaw a new LNB.  It is in Canada & difficult for me to get down.  Would this new LNB give me better reception?  I thought it was to work with the new satellite.

What Shaw has been doing is changing the Vcodes that some accounts were using.  If you were on the old "Classic" or "Advanced" channel lineups, you may have been moved over to the new "One National" lineup without your permission.  They changed my Vcode from 4322 to 4378 and now I cannot get some channels that I used to.

6 hours ago, slainte39 said:

They have been in business here for 30 years, same owners, and I have had TV service from them that whole time.  If they were going to run with your money, they would be the slowest runners I have ever seen.  Turtles and snails would be faster.

It's difficult running with a cerveza in one hand and a burger in the other

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, windstar said:

I have been sent by Shaw a new LNB.  It is in Canada & difficult for me to get down.  Would this new LNB give me better reception?  I thought it was to work with the new satellite.

No, it will not provide better reception.

It is designed to receive three satellites. We cannot get the third satellite here. It will do nothing for you.

1 hour ago, Joyinmexico said:

What is a LNB?  Not all of us know! Thank you! 

Pretty much one of those "need to know" things....!    😉     (not as in "secret", as in, "if you needed to know what this is, you already would")