Chapala.com Webboard

Ilox - Pay for Installation Material ???

Out1

Just got a bill for 321 pesos with a nice email that I better pay this soon or they would cut off my service.

I went up to the store in Ajijic and they told me the bill was for materials used for installation of the service; no charge for labor. I left without paying.

Anyone else get a bill for this ?

• Sad 2

4 hours ago, PJPJ said:

What is the issue..less than $20 bucks...???  Don't they all charge for installation...?   I know Temex and Telecable do..

The issue is when I signed up I really thought I was told that installation was included; It was so long ago maybe they said only labor was included; and that is why I asked the question. I know of one other Ilox customer that thinks installation (including materials) is included and has not been billed.

Less than $20 bucks; big deal; who cares.........I care about $20.

• Sad 1

• 10 months later...

We had our service installed a week ago after a long struggle to get it done. They said that I have to pay for the cable because the box is down the street. They did not run the cable along the posts and then right across to the house. Instead they ran it down the middle of the street through trees with thick and thin branches which will damage the cable during these heavy winds in summer during thunderstorms. It also lay on top of power lines.

I talked to installer but he ignored it. If I have to pay for all that cable they should install it the correct way according to my wishes since I pay the bill.

Also, our contract we signed is for 70MB, we are lucky to get 20 MB. Even if I sit right next to the modem. Also, the TV streaming is really bad.

I have sent numerous polite emails ... needless to say there is no response.

Think I will give it a month and then not pay for anything, They can cancel the service and collect their modem. Back to Telecable (Izzi) ... cheaper reliable 10MB internet, better TV reception plus a phone .... all together cheaper and better service than ILOX.

• Like 1

Have you called their Tech line at 353 532 5844?  If that does not help, a visit to the office in Ajijic may help.  The office person there can call for you and work it out.  My service dropped off dramatically and I called the two tech numbers I was given upon sign up but never got thru.  After a visit to the Ajijic office the person there told me I had the wrong numbers.  He gave me the above number and then he called the tech line and the problem was resolved.

As far as the cost of materials this was also a surprise to me and I was billed about 2000 p because my line exceeded the number of meters allowed,  That was not explained to me when I signed up, but then spilt milk.  I could care less after living with Telcel at 3mb dn and 1 mb up for the last year.  Before that TelMex and their system was down on a monthly basis two or three times.  So Ilox thus far is the less of three evils.  Depending on which speed service I use, I am getting anywhere from 25 to 50 mb dn on the 30 mb pkg.  Up averages around 10-12 mb.

But those numbers are fluid.

There is no installation charge for drops up to a certain length, I think it was maybe 50 meters.  Beyond that they charge for the material.  Ilox speed is guaranteed within their network to their edge gateway.  You can test this over a hardwired connection to your modem and to fast.com.    Any degradation from that is likely customer side issue or  a slow wifi connection.   

18 hours ago, Deryck said:

The internet speed is junk. The TV is not even on and I got 13 MB minutes ago instead of the 70 MB according to the contract I signed. I sent another email to noc@mail.ilox.mx ... still no reply.

This is just another ripoff

It sounds like you are NOT connecting to the iLOX modem with physical ethernet wire to a computer but rather you are using the wireless (wifi) signal from the modem. Although one would have previously thought that their wireless modem would be at least par, it has LONG been determined that they are junk. 

IF you are indeed connected by wire then you really need to call the support number as 13 mbps is not normal. IF you are connected wirelessly (wifi) then join the club of finding that the iLOX wifi modem sucks.  IF your device(s) cannot support a wired connection then you have only 1 choice for achieving  your 70mbps with iLOX.... purchase a relatively inexpensive router locally to put 'behind' the modem and get your wifi from it. Then and only then will you see something more akin to what you are paying for. The other choice is to cancel the service and go back to somewhat flakey world of TelMex.

44 minutes ago, RickS said:

It sounds like you are NOT connecting to the iLOX modem with physical ethernet wire to a computer but rather you are using the wireless (wifi) signal from the modem. Although one would have previously thought that their wireless modem would be at least par, it has LONG been determined that they are junk. 

IF you are indeed connected by wire then you really need to call the support number as 13 mbps is not normal. IF you are connected wirelessly (wifi) then join the club of finding that the iLOX wifi modem sucks.  IF your device(s) cannot support a wired connection then you have only 1 choice for achieving  your 70mbps with iLOX.... purchase a relatively inexpensive router locally to put 'behind' the modem and get your wifi from it. Then and only then will you see something more akin to what you are paying for. The other choice is to cancel the service and go back to somewhat flakey world of TelMex.

Absolutely correct regarding the flaky wifi signal from the ILOX modem which gives you miserable speed and no signal range.

Even with a device in the same room as the ILOX modem the best speeds are around 30mb even with the 300mb package. Normally it is less than that and if you happen to walk about 15 feet from the modem, you can lose signal completely.

After installing an ASUS router as an access point the same device that got 30mb at best is now getting over 200mb. The range for the signal has improved dramatically also.

There's no sense trying to fight ILOX about their modem. If you're getting close to your contract speed connected by an Ethernet cable there's nothing ILOX will do for you to correct the wifi problem.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the advice. Yes, we are trying to use wifi from their modem.

Looks like a router is the way to go. I am just not familiar with installation of it. Where do I buy a ASUS router and how is it installed, please ?

Thanks again for the advice. If this will greatly increase the wifi we can finally start thinking of getting Wifi TV

53 minutes ago, Deryck said:

Thanks for all the advice. Yes, we are trying to use wifi from their modem.

Looks like a router is the way to go. I am just not familiar with installation of it. Where do I buy a ASUS router and how is it installed, please ?

Thanks again for the advice. If this will greatly increase the wifi we can finally start thinking of getting Wifi TV

Amazon USA has plenty to choose from that ship to Mexico.  Compare with Amazon.mx and check prices with the shipping costs.  Sometimes it's cheaper to buy from the States even with the shipping and VAT.  Several good brands are Netgear, TP-Link, Asus.  

Installing is really very simple.  You will still use your ILOX modem, and you'll use the new one as a wireless access point (WAP).  It will connect to your existing modem via ethernet cable.  After setup is complete, you'll turn off the ILOX modem's wireless signals, and you're good to go.  I use a TP-Link WAP (cost about $80).  I'm 20 feet from the router and get 90% of the speeds I get when I have a wired connection.

• Like 1

Very true the that internal Ilox Wifi router/modem is not ready for primetime.   I  turned mine off and installed 4 access points (Ubiquiti Unifi) to cover my property.  Problems gone.  The router also won´t bridge data between the ports.  In other words if you're depending upon the Ilox router to connect a file server on one network segment to say a computer on a different one (meaning plugged into different router ports), they won´t talk to each other.  The reason is there are users out their plugging multiple cables into multiple ports creating switch loops that congest tech support with service calls.   Simple fix:   Make sure all of your home network goes into one switch first, then run one cable from that switch to your Ilox router.   Devices that just need to communicate with the internet and not across your network can plug into the router. 

Since Ilox came in I´ve drilled down on about many different complaints of lousy service.   Nearly always customer side

- Customer was double natting...i.e. plugging the WAN port of his router into the LAN port of the Ilox router.
- Customer was switching his Telmex modem in and out of his network and not rebooting his devices.  Devcies  kept trying to use Telmex gateway even though disconnected.
- Bad cables plugged into 1Gb and 100 Mb ports working at 100 mb and 10 mb, or intermittent.-Other misconfigured routers
- Incredibly crappy and cheap hardware.
- Old PC´s
- Trying to stream with a private IP.   You will probably need a public IP address to have a chance at streaming.  Ilox will assign you one.  Public IP addresses are scarce.  One day the network will have to switch to IPV6.  Telmex is already doing it.  Isn´t competition great!
. A business contracted business grade service and resold it through a bunch of misconfigured inferior hardware with poor Wifi coverage.  All the blame went to Ilox. 

-Unrealistic speed expectations.  Ilox is high speed fiber within their network to their gateways.  They have a high speed backbone up through Dallas via Cogent.  They peer with Google, (Youtube) Netflix, and Facebook at their gateway.  Have you ever seen those services slow?   If you have then you really do have  a problem.  When you try to stream video,  you´re competing for shared bandwidth beyond Ilox control.  They pay for so much and that´s whats available.  Some of these streaming services come from Asia and Europe. The provider could also be choking on his connection.  And yes, Telmex, may have better routes to some places than Ilox.  And now we have Covid-19.   I´m not denying that poor streaming experiences are an unfulfilled expectation, but there are  more intelligent ways to address this problem.

If you think its a bad situation here, listen to this podcast.  https://www.npr.org/2020/05/29/865908114/small-america-vs-big-internet  .   Incredible that the lobbyists and special interests in the US are truncating the American way and keeping small towns from doing what we were barely able to do here.  Setting up and running an ISP is a very challenging capital intensive low margin project.  Not for the faint of heart.  And no thanks to the naysayers.   We got Ilox in, but with all the bitchers and whiners I don´t think they''re  doing  another residential service anytime soon.  Just imagine what these same misfits continue to cost in customer service headache.   They´re creating barriers to entry to new providers coming in, and those already providing service.  Money that could pay for better quality of service.

If you have Internet service, next time you have a problem, think twice before throwing up your hands and blaming it on the ISP.  He is responsible for his end.  You are responsible for yours.   Try calling a local professional to check your side first.    Now that Ilox is here,  the opportunity is to be fairer about where problems actually lie and how to fix.  Maybe this could help lower their service costs and get more streaming bandwidth.   I for one am going to work on a guide on how to be a better ISP customer.  

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, All Day said:

Did you try connecting a computer directly to the modem via ethernet?  If you did, are you getting around 70mbps?  If you're not, a new router is not going to fix the problem.

I'm betting he/she does not have a device capable of having a wired access..... ipad etc

Yes, I plugged in an ethernet cable and get 58 max ... still not 70.   Is it ILOX modem problem then ?

What model TPLink do you have ? I found this on Amazon (USA) for $64

TP-Link AC1750 Smart WiFi Router - Dual Band Gigabit Wireless Internet Router for Home, Works with Alexa, VPN Server, Parental Control&QoS (Archer A7)

19 minutes ago, Deryck said:

Yes, I plugged in an ethernet cable and get 58 max ... still not 70.   Is it ILOX modem problem then ?

What model TPLink do you have ? I found this on Amazon (USA) for $64

TP-Link AC1750 Smart WiFi Router - Dual Band Gigabit Wireless Internet Router for Home, Works with Alexa, VPN Server, Parental Control&QoS (Archer A7)

I have the Archer A9 AC1900  

Also, remember that speeds may be a little slower right now due to Covid 19 restrictions.  There's a lot of people at home using a lot of bandwidth.  58mbps isn't great, but it's not unreasonalble.  You should be able to stream anything including UHD with 58mbps.  

One other thing:  try unplugging the modem and leave it off for about 10 minutes.  This will refresh the IP and DNS settings.  Then do another speed test.  Use https://fast.com/