Chapala.com Webboard

Mexican Passport

Zeb

20 hours ago, slainte39 said:

SRE.....Secretaría de Relaciones Exteriores

Palacio Federal.....bssement floor

Northeast corner of Av Alcalde & Hospital

Guadalajara

Thanks a bunch!  I just looked .after reading your message, on the SRE site and it does have the needed information.

21 hours ago, Zeb said:

Thanks a bunch!  I just looked .after reading your message, on the SRE site and it does have the needed information.

There's an SRE passport office at the Plaza Exhimodo, Av. Vallarta 3233, Guadalajara.  Much easier to get to and park, I recommend it highly.  

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, More Liana said:

There's an SRE passport office at the Plaza Exhimodo, Av. Vallarta 3233, Guadalajara.  Much easier to get to and park, I recommend it highly.  

Didn´t they close that office after they opened the new office last year in Plaza Bonita, next to Plaza Mexico on Av. Mexico?

I just renewed 2 grand daughters pasaportes at the new location in Plaza Bonita, so not sure.  I did use Exhimodo the last time for me but that was 7 years ago.

Both offices first mentioned are closed, best is Plaza Bonita Av. Mexico, you walk out same day, I can get appointments for new or renewals in 1-3 days

• Like 1

7 hours ago, slainte39 said:

Didn´t they close that office after they opened the new office last year in Plaza Bonita, next to Plaza Mexico on Av. Mexico?

I just renewed 2 grand daughters pasaportes at the new location in Plaza Bonita, so not sure.  I did use Exhimodo the last time for me but that was 7 years ago.

Thanks for the clarification, Slainte39.  Plaza Bonita is even easier.

31 minutes ago, lakeside7 said:

You make it sound like you can obtain one from WalMart..I guess in the stationary  department!!

How so???

You better have your acta de nacimiento or for foreigners, carta de naturalización, and then only at the SRE offices. 

I have also heard from some newly  naturalized citizens that you better have a damned good command of the Spanish language.

1 minute ago, slainte39 said:

How so???

You better have your acta de nacimiento or for foreigners, carta de naturalización, and then only at the SRE offices. 

I have also heard from some newly  naturalized citizens that you better have a damned good command of the Spanish language.

Hmmm, My senior friend who recently  obtained his MX citizenship said 10,000pesos and a good lawyer and little  Spanish worked for him

58 minutes ago, lakeside7 said:

Hmmm, My senior friend who recently  obtained his MX citizenship said 10,000pesos and a good lawyer and little  Spanish worked for him

Maybe they did go to Walmart stationary department, 10,000 pesos is believable, good lawyer, a little less.  You can get some "easy" driver´s licenses and inspection stickers as well from "good lawyers".

8 hours ago, slainte39 said:

You can get some "easy" driver´s licenses and inspection stickers as well from "good lawyers".

Much easier than going to Guad. Just one of the many differences of Mexico life. Used to be $500 pesos but knowing inflation...well license anyway, never bothered with inspection.

10 hours ago, slainte39 said:

Maybe they did go to Walmart stationary department, 10,000 pesos is believable, good lawyer, a little less.  You can get some "easy" driver´s licenses and inspection stickers as well from "good lawyers".

10,000 pesos to pay a lawyer to get you a passport?  My jaw dropped.  That's crazy: the most you could possibly pay for the passport itself--with a 10-year expiration date--is under 2700 pesos.

And remember, a Mexican passport costs 50% of its regular price if you're over 60.  

https://www.gob.mx/sre/acciones-y-programas/pasaporte-mexicano

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, More Liana said:

10,000 pesos to pay a lawyer to get you a passport?  My jaw dropped.  That's crazy: the most you could possibly pay for the passport itself--with a 10-year expiration date--is under 2700 pesos.

And remember, a Mexican passport costs 50% of its regular price if you're over 60.  

A clarification is in order...The 10K pesos was for obtaining Mexican citizenship and of course a MX passport 

6 hours ago, More Liana said:

Yeah, but remember it was a "good lawyer"......:D

"download bank payment sheet and pay at the bank"

I wonder if that is something new?  Last time I renewed at Exhimodo, i payed right there when i submitted the renewal form.  I won´t say how many times i have gotten the 50& discount as it will give away my youthful age.   :D:D:D

With renewals you don´t have to present your birth certificate, not sure about the carta de naturalization, if that is your status.

23 hours ago, lakeside7 said:

A clarification is in order...The 10K pesos was for obtaining Mexican citizenship and of course a MX passport 

That's pretty astounding.  A friend of ours who is totally fluent in Spanish and well read in Mexican history went through a language and testing wringer, complete with the assistance of a lawyer, to finally get hers after two tries.  As she described the process it is essentially impossible for anyone without seriously good command of Spanish and ability to hear it spoken at full speed.  She felt since they changed the qualifications for over 60 they are actively trying to make it difficult or impossible to pass.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mainecoons said:

That's pretty astounding.  A friend of ours who is totally fluent in Spanish and well read in Mexican history went through a language and testing wringer, complete with the assistance of a lawyer, to finally get hers after two tries.  As she described the process it is essentially impossible for anyone without seriously good command of Spanish and ability to hear it spoken at full speed.  She felt since they changed the qualifications for over 60 they are actively trying to make it difficult or impossible to pass.

How long ago are you talking about and how old is your friend?

My friend in his 70s took the exam  about 4 months ago 

6 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

I know this to be absolutely accurate.  If it was difficult for her, and she knows her way around, I can only imagine it being impossible for most foreigners.

Her process was just completed.

21 hours ago, slainte39 said:

"download bank payment sheet and pay at the bank"

I wonder if that is something new?  Last time I renewed at Exhimodo, i payed right there when i submitted the renewal form.  I won´t say how many times i have gotten the 50& discount as it will give away my youthful age.   :D:D:D

With renewals you don´t have to present your birth certificate, not sure about the carta de naturalization, if that is your status.

Yes, now you pay at the bank before you go to your appointment.

10 hours ago, lakeside7 said:

How long ago are you talking about and how old is your friend?

My friend in his 70s took the exam  about 4 months ago 

Will you post the attorney's contact info?  The going rate with the LCS lawyer or ABC Legal, Azucena, is about 20,000 pesos.  

14 hours ago, slainte39 said:

I know this to be absolutely accurate.  If it was difficult for her, and she knows her way around, I can only imagine it being impossible for most foreigners.

Her process was just completed.

Agree with the post above and Mainecoons even for those over 60 it is very difficult for an expat to pass the test. I have had one client fail the 3 tries and several past but they all have a very good command of Spanish. I will not accept a client for citizenship who can not have a conversation with me in Spanish. For those under 61 the second test is extremely difficult. The fee of 20000 pesos is reasonable to go through the citizenship process and I have seen others charge outrageous fees.    http://www.soniadiaz.mx/citizenship.html

I truly doubt anyone paid 10,000 pesos and no test and received citizenship and passport. I suspect another myth, BS or senility setting in.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1