Chapala.com Webboard

Internet/cable

Mijo

Internet varies by the location. Those who might know best are your neighbors and experts like the Computer Guy who posts on line here. I know what is best for me in my neighborhood. But someone else in a neighborhood 6 blocks away might have a very different experience

Then the question is, do you want to get your US TV programming over Satellite? If so, with a much bigger satellite dish than up north you can pick up many of the US Dish TV programs and same with Shaw Direct satellite for Canada.

And the next question is, if you want to stream your TV programming, does your neighborhood offer fast enough internet.

I know I didn't help you much but it all depends upon where you live. In my case I use Telmex for phone and internet and izzi the name of the cable company for backup internet and TV programming. Oh I also need a cell phone and my carrier is Telcel.

Good luck and welcome to lakeside.

• Like 1

Does your house already have a Telmex land line telephone? You can get Telmex internet too if you want pretty slow speeds. Or consider ILOX for high speed fiber optic internet. If you have the land line, ILOX can transfer it over to ILOX so no need to continue service with Telmex. 

For TV, I use Dish US for about $100/mo. Satellite service in Ajijic or CP Electronics in Guadalajara. CP has a website so you can check out prices for receivers, etc. 

As Johanson said.. the location of the house is the most important thing since service quality varies greatly according to the area and asking the neighbors what they have  should be the first thing to do.. Telmex tells us they will upgrade our area in october but until they do it , there is no telling if it is true or not and our reception is lousy..we have telecable as a back up and it also sucks.. 

• Like 1

I currently live in Villa Nova and  have internet service from Telecable (Izzy) to stream video via a DNS Proxy.  To do this I change the settings in my personal router and connect it  to the Telecable modem.  Telecable service has improved markedly in the past year (around 9 Mb)  I am generally quite happy - except that my 500 mp monthly charge includes TV, which I never watch.  If I could bundle the Internet with my existing Telmex landline, pay only 399 or even 599 mp/month, and continue to stream video, I'd be a very happy camper.  The question is whether I can connect my router to the Telmex modem and still get my DNS Proxy service.  BTW, I find the DNS proxy far more convenient than VPN which I only use when traveling.  Thanks in advance for any responses - especially others who use DNS Proxy.