Chapala.com Webboard

Anyone aware of constraints on collecting rain/storm water

16 minutes ago, RVGRINGO said:

If a neighbor were to build a pond, he might get an uproar from those nearby. Away from standing water, in the Chapala area, mosquitoes are not a problem. However, they are a problem closer to the lake, and wherever there is a forgotten container of water outside. The uproar would certainly result in a visit from the health authorities.  By the way, a well requires a permit, and the federal government retains ownership of the water.

Using a large aljibe, or a series of them, with solar power and gravity feed from rooftop 'tinacos', is the most practical and accepted approach in Mexico.  Replenishment from roofs, or by local "pipas de agua" trucks makes it even more practical.

Sounds great. I wasn't really interested in sinking a well, but good to know.

Regarding the pool vs. pond scenario, are you aware of why they're seen or treated differently? Seems the lake itself would provide all of the habitat necessary to keep a healthy population of skeeters thriving. Certainly covered tanks or cisterns don't pose any issues (assuming that they're properly constructed), but how serious is the mosquito borne illness reality there?

24 minutes ago, CHILLIN said:

Another solution, in a seasonal drought area, the homeowner basically built a swimming pool on top of his house, and they filtered the water to drink. A definitely no peeing  in the pool house!

I always enjoy alternative solutions, but having been involved in post quake clean-up, I'm phobic enough about those barrel vault ceilings resting on adobe brick walls. The idea of tens of thousands of gallons water with it would never let me sleep. lol

16 minutes ago, el blanco barba said:

Sounds great. I wasn't really interested in sinking a well, but good to know.

Regarding the pool vs. pond scenario, are you aware of why they're seen or treated differently? Seems the lake itself would provide all of the habitat necessary to keep a healthy population of skeeters thriving. Certainly covered tanks or cisterns don't pose any issues (assuming that they're properly constructed), but how serious is the mosquito borne illness reality there?

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/dengue-fever/symptoms-causes/syc-20353078

There are usually hundreds of case in the area every year, both the mild and serious kind.  I suspect that the lake itself gets sprayed, but usually the water isn't very quiet.  Standing water in pools,  puddles or open other places are always suspect.

yes the old tires, bird baths , plants that hold water etc are the dangerous spots for the mosquitoes that carry dengue. A pond can be stock with fish , or sprayed or have the dunk can of product in them that will prevent the larvae from becoming mosquitoes. We live near the lake and do not have a whole lot of mosquitoes.

This said there are cases of dengue every year and the more you get it and  the more chances you get to get the hemorragic type which can be fatal.

There is lots of dengue in Tlaquepaque and Guadaljara and there is no lake there but lot of garbage collecting water  around town.

The fountain that came with this house is no longer a fountain. I took it apart, filled the bottom with pea gravel and have pots of citronella growing in it. I am a block and a half from the lake and there were lots of mosquitoes when I first moved in three years ago. Hardly any now.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ibarra said:

We agree completely with Ferret.  Also, after 21 years in MX full time, 2 different States, we have yet to encounter RAIN water police! 

In Colorado it is illegal to divert rain water because it flows into streams and the water belongs to down stream users. I have heard of people getting fined. There was talk of updating the water laws but I never learned of the outcome.

Familiar with Dengue. Was just hoping that the country hadn't gotten sucked into the Zika scam perpetrated by the pesticide manufacturers. As with most modern atrocities of public health, they use a public misinformation campaign to allow them to sell all sorts of inappropriate "economic poisons", especially outside of the U.S. and E.U. The recent news about vacationers to the Dominican Republic dying mysterious deaths is beginning to, not surprisingly, unfold, and it's looking more and more like the victims succumbed to pesticide poisoning. Things like organophosphates are horribly poisonous, and outlawed in many countries, but that doesn't stop Monsanto/Bayer, DuPont, et al, from aggressively marketing them everywhere else. The creation of false panics like the encephalitis being attributed to mosquitoes is one such obfuscation in the name of quarterly profits, and it's worth billions to them, so you know where we count in that math. Turns out the most likely cause of the health problems blamed on Zika is actually the chemicals, not the bugs.

Of course that is not the case with Dengue, so thanks. So holding ponds will likely not be an issue as long as the water is say, kept circulating and populated with insect eating fish. Sounds perfect. :)  

in Tuxtla Gutierres with have Zika, dengue and a few other things, a friend of mine who live in Tuxtla and Simojovel, she got Zika and denue and chikungunya and it is pretty nasty. so I think it is a case of chosing your poison down there..  Here in Chapala we have cases of dengue but nothing like some area like down there I hear they sray the lake , god knows with what to control mosquitoes and they spray big time down n Chiapas as well, you cannot escape it.