Chapala.com Webboard

Preferred Thai Restaurant

Arroyos

4 hours ago, lakeside7 said:

Would this post be better placed in Foodies forum 

Moved. Maybe this should be in La Cocina I don't know, Mod 5

Since restaurant/bistro happenings is for owners to post specials, menus, and activities, La Cocina would be better if it must be moved.

Mod5. Suggestion taken

2 hours ago, gringal said:

Got a question: When does an ordinary picky eater earn the designation of "foodie"??😏

I don’t see them as synonyms. To me, a picky eater is fussy or finicky, only eating certain things prepared in certain ways. On the other hand, a foodie loves food and is adventurous. They have a real interest in food, all kinds and eat for pleasure. 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Xena said:

I don’t see them as synonyms. To me, a picky eater is fussy or finicky, only eating certain things prepared in certain ways. On the other hand, a foodie loves food and is adventurous. They have a real interest in food, all kinds and eat for pleasure. 

I wasn't entirely serious there.  The term "foodie" just strikes me as rather pretentious.    To me, a "picky eater" is one who won't settle for poor quality or preparation....so we'll agree to disagree on that one.  I would be embarrassed to call myself a "foodie, just because I appreciate it when it's well done and have a wide range of likes.

• Like 2

I have been to Thailand 3 times and spent several months there.  Someone else who has lived in Thailand in this forum made the same comment I would make.  None of the three offer real Thai food.  

43 minutes ago, rafterbr said:

I have been to Thailand 3 times and spent several months there.  Someone else who has lived in Thailand in this forum made the same comment I would make.  None of the three offer real Thai food.  

Really? I am surprised that  in a cluster of small cities, towns, and villages in the central highlands of Mexico “real” Thai food is not being offered. Shocking. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

I remember one restaurant advertised a real Thai Chef. Well they may be a Thai and they may be a chef but they are not a real Thai Chef.  With over 140 restaurants in the Ajijic area we are not exactly a little backwaters pueblo with no excellent cuisines available.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, rafterbr said:

I remember one restaurant advertised a real Thai Chef. Well they may be a Thai and they may be a chef but they are not a real Thai Chef.  With over 140 restaurants in the Ajijic area we are not exactly a little backwaters pueblo with no excellent cuisines available.

You still are in the central highlands of Mexico with a choice of three Thai restaurants. Sorry none of them meet your standards. Hope you are able to soldier on despite this bitter disappointment. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, rafterbr said:

Bang on. I have not been to Thailand but my first experience was in a large city in Canada. 4 tables,family run lots of heat but a totally different flavour to each course. The city I  came from only had one like that but it didn't last unfortunately. The rest were phonies and popular because they had names like The King and I. If the latter, what the 3 here are like,I'm not interested just like I'm not interested in Taco Bell.

25 minutes ago, slainte39 said:

Life for me has been very difficult without a "real" Thai restaurant.        :(

…...but I am surviving.

I spent much of my adult life in the San Francisco Bay Area where there were immigrants from most countries on Planet Earth and, as a result, cuisine that was authentic as you could wish for . I thoroughly enjoyed it and know the difference between "sort of" and the real deal.  I don't expect to find the "real deal" in this remote outpost in the middle of another country.  I sure don't need it for my happiness, either, but it would be very welcome if it happened! 😉The local Thai restaurants provide a nice change from the usual fare.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 6/22/2019 at 2:25 PM, Xena said:

Since restaurant/bistro happenings is for owners to post specials, menus, and activities, La Cocina would be better if it must be moved.

Mod5. Suggestion taken

Forgive me moderators for putting this question on the wrong forum and thanks for moving it.