Chapala.com Webboard

Perry's Pizza

monadog

Ate there Saturday night. Pizza wasnt what it used to be.  Service is great, I wanted Johnny Walker whiskey and they were ready to run down the street and buy a bottle but it was pouring so I said pop is fine.  

Shame, when he first opened in that garage the pizza was quite good, in our opinion.  Like so many other places, success breeds either contempt or boredom of repetition and the next step is to turn things over to a low paid hourly employee who could not care less about the customer, just his/her paycheck.

• Like 2

I never got the Perry Pizza thing. I ordered a delivery when he first opened. It was difficult to tell the difference between the box and the pizza. Both were hard and I imagine if I had tried to eat the box, it would have tasted like cardboard just like the pizza did. The major difference between the pizza and the box was that the box wasn't burnt!

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

I went when he opened in the garage. His pizza at the time was the best around. Whether or not that can be qualified against what we hold near and dear back home, I cannot say anymore. His clam chowder was also very good, and the only place that had it at the time. He operated on a shoestring, he did everything himself, and people complained about the service, so he hired a guy who couldn't be taught, and people complained again, and eventually he got it sorted. Never expected him to last; when he started training others to do the pizzas, he got very, very lucky. All those guys moved on to open their own shops.

Now there is no good pizza. I will never go to Purple Garlic because of their attitude, but that's just me, so I have no opinion on their stuff. My own pizza is better than anyone's around here, and I like making it. When I go back to Canada, I hit up my favourite places and revel.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, chapalence said:

We find M&J to be quite good. Their current location sux, but if you live close enough get one to go and give it a try. All premium ingredients in the right proportions.

Yes, you are right. Forgot about them, due to their location. And I'm in Riberas, so if they ever do get delivery (they may have by now), I am too far away. And parking on that road is nigh impossible.

• Like 1

We use Pippo´s Pizza in the carretera by the Funeral house... they have "light" pizza... better than the domino´s one....

42 minutes ago, Sheldon said:

We use Pippo´s Pizza in the carretera by the Funeral house... they have "light" pizza... better than the domino´s one....

Is this the one that used to be Fito's long ago? With lights strung on the trees? How can you even tell when they are open? More importantly, that they have started the oven so it's ready? I just gave up.

• Thanks 1

On 6/19/2019 at 2:51 PM, ComputerGuy said:

Is this the one that used to be Fito's long ago? With lights strung on the trees? How can you even tell when they are open? More importantly, that they have started the oven so it's ready? I just gave up.

Oh yes! They offer service for sure, just saturday and sunday after 5 o´clock.    this is the time when I use to ask for pizza, but you are right CG, this people here in Chapala does not have business training I guess.   Besides that, I order their pizza, calzone or fries by fb messenger....   :)   This is their new cel phone  5523699453   anyway.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

I went when he opened in the garage. His pizza at the time was the best around. Whether or not that can be qualified against what we hold near and dear back home, I cannot say anymore. His clam chowder was also very good, and the only place that had it at the time. He operated on a shoestring, he did everything himself, and people complained about the service, so he hired a guy who couldn't be taught, and people complained again, and eventually he got it sorted. Never expected him to last; when he started training others to do the pizzas, he got very, very lucky. All those guys moved on to open their own shops.

Now there is no good pizza. I will never go to Purple Garlic because of their attitude, but that's just me, so I have no opinion on their stuff. My own pizza is better than anyone's around here, and I like making it. When I go back to Canada, I hit up my favourite places and revel.

Would you invite me for pizza?

• Haha 3

You'll laugh (my brother certainly does; he makes his own dough), but I use CostCo frozen cheese pizza as the base. They are fairly tiny 12" things, but when loaded easily feed two. I add my own sauce, and toppings, and then use the Breville toaster oven for several minutes more than the instructions call for. Then I add mozz on top and broil for 5 minutes.

These pizzas have a medium-thick crust and are fairly sweet, if that is the right word. Broiling the cheese gives you that browned look, which also changes the chemical structure of the cheese to provide that great pizza smell and flavour.

I've tried making my own dough; what a pain (for me). I've tried WalMart's dough, which you can get at the bakery counter by asking. Fairly decent, and then it can be as thin or thick as you prefer. But frozen is so easy and tasty.

2 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

You'll laugh (my brother certainly does; he makes his own dough), but I use CostCo frozen cheese pizza as the base. They are fairly tiny 12" things, but when loaded easily feed two. I add my own sauce, and toppings, and then use the Breville toaster oven for several minutes more than the instructions call for. Then I add mozz on top and broil for 5 minutes.

These pizzas have a medium-thick crust and are fairly sweet, if that is the right word. Broiling the cheese gives you that browned look, which also changes the chemical structure of the cheese to provide that great pizza smell and flavour.

I've tried making my own dough; what a pain (for me). I've tried WalMart's dough, which you can get at the bakery counter by asking. Fairly decent, and then it can be as thin or thick as you prefer. But frozen is so easy and tasty.

When we lived in a town without a pizza place, I also doctored up frozen pizza (we didn't have a Costco, but did have a lot of frozen choices at Safeway).  My 'trick' was to heat it on a well-seasoned gas grill (and by well seasoned, I mean rarely cleaned :D).  I still use my gas grill whenever I reheat leftover pizza.....it imparts a flavor similar to real pizza oven.

• Haha 1