Chapala.com Webboard

VUMI Medical Insurane

24 minutes ago, Kyle said:

Cheaper than north of the boarder. But still can be costly

Not for most people over 65, with Medicare and an Advantage Plan. Basically no cost for us NOB.

35 minutes ago, Herman said:

Is it expensive? I’m afraid I could have a stroke or heart attack. 

Hope your health stays fine and you don't have anything like that!  For other readers this is a blunt warning. At some point in our lives we all become basically "uninsurable". For some that might not happen until 10 seconds before you step in front of the oncoming car.  For most or many of us, it happens much sooner than our actual death.  Diagnosis of cancer, very high blood pressure, stroke symptoms, etc. That's when no amount of premium will entice any insurer to write you a policy. Review your finances, including ability to pay premiums when you're still insurable and buy what you can afford. You don't want to be in Herman's shoes someday and thank you Herman for posting, it may help someone else. No, I'm not an insurance agent.

• Thanks 1

When I lived in the Rio Grande Valley of Texas and traveled Mexico extensively I had a Medicare Advantage plan with United Health Care. They assured me I was covered out of the US as long as I saw my primary doctor every six months.

Remember that there is a difference between residence and domicile. https://www.differencebetween.com/difference-between-domicile-and-vs-residence/

The article says, ".... but if you are a US national, you have to pay income tax on income generated abroad."  I did not think that this was true. Income generated on Mexican soil... I'm not talking about using the Internet while working for a US firm....is taxed by Mexico but not the US, no?

42 minutes ago, AngusMactavish said:

When I lived in the Rio Grande Valley of Texas and traveled Mexico extensively I had a Medicare Advantage plan with United Health Care. They assured me I was covered out of the US as long as I saw my primary doctor every six months. 

But I assume that if you saw a doctor SOB, you paid that doc out of pocket and were reimbursed by United HealthCare later back in the US when you filed a claim with them, no?

43 minutes ago, AngusMactavish said:

Remember that there is a difference between residence and domicile. https://www.differencebetween.com/difference-between-domicile-and-vs-residence/

The first 3 words are the key.  Some here do not live anywhere other than Mexico.  

Prior to Medicare, our US insurance covered us outside the US for emergencies regardless of the length of our absence.  In 2009 we paid out of pocket here for an emergency and the insurance reimbursed us. 

Now under Medicare and a supplemental Medigap policy, we are covered by Medigap (not Medicare) for emergencies during the first 60 days we are outside the US (subject to deductibles and limits higher than our US coverage).   

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Bisbee Gal said:

The first 3 words are the key. 

This was my key, "Remember that there is a difference between residence and domicile." My domicile is where I say it is and my residence is my present location.

When I lived (residence) in Tamaulipas, my domicile was in Texas. Same deal, I had the Advantage Plan and had to go 200 miles for routine care. Urget care was covered by the Advantage Plan. I don't do it now because I never wish to return to the US, even in a box.

Before you continue, please read the definitions in the provided link.

2 hours ago, RickS said:

The article says, ".... but if you are a US national, you have to pay income tax on income generated abroad."  I did not think that this was true. Income generated on Mexican soil... I'm not talking about using the Internet while working for a US firm....is taxed by Mexico but not the US, no?

US citizens are taxed on "worldwide income".  The reason some highly paid individuals renounce their citizenship.  But it's getting harder to do that.  Sr. Google is your friend.

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Herman said:

I’m 60. On a couple meds. Bp and cholesterol and pre diabetes. All 3 have been excluded from Mexican insurance. Do I still move to Mexico full time or cancel everything and return to work?

Walk on the wild side...move.

Maybe it's bad karma for cheating all those Walmart cashiers you bragged about. 

I have gotten MORE change than I should have. Hundreds of pesos. I smile and walk away.

•   

On 6/6/2019 at 3:56 PM, FlyFree said: 

Are you proud of being dishonest?

Posted June 6   

Herman

Kinda. Hehehe

•  

On 6/8/2019 at 3:30 AM, 

mudgirl said:

I don't do that because the cashier has to account for missing money in the till when it doesn't jive with the receipts. They'll either have to pay it out of their own pocket or likely get fired. It could be argued that they should get fired if they can't pay attention to the job they're being paid to do, but I'd not like to think some woman with a family to support had to cough up 300 pesos that she mistakenly handed me.

Best way to learn

•  
  • Thanks 3

22 minutes ago, pappysmarket said:

US citizens are taxed on "worldwide income".  The reason some highly paid individuals renounce their citizenship.  But it's getting harder to do that.  Sr. Google is your friend.

But I think that there are provisions for exclusions such as the 'Foreign Earned Income Exclusion' which allows you to decrease your taxable income on US expat taxes by the first $105,900 earned as a result of your labor ($103,900 for 2018) while a resident of a foreign country.  And as far as being domiciled in Mexico there is the US-Mexico Tax Treaty to help relieve double taxation. 

.... and I had previously used Sr. Google to enlighten me on the subject. 

https://www.greenbacktaxservices.com/blog/form-2555-instructions-expats//

5 minutes ago, RickS said:

But I think that there are provisions for exclusions such as the 'Foreign Earned Income Exclusion' which allows you to decrease your taxable income on US expat taxes by the first $105,900 earned as a result of your labor ($103,900 for 2018) while a resident of a foreign country.  And as far as being domiciled in Mexico there is the US-Mexico Tax Treaty to help relieve double taxation. 

.... and I had previously used Sr. Google to enlighten me on the subject. 

https://www.greenbacktaxservices.com/blog/form-2555-instructions-expats//

Well all income , worldwide, is taxable.  What deductions, exemptions, etc. are available to a given taxpayer is a horse of another color.  Best regards.

• Like 2

Herman,

If you have those pre-existing conditions and have insurance in the US, you best stay there unless you have sufficient assets to pay out of pocket if a situation arises here.

• Like 4