Chapala.com Webboard

Teocintle Maiz

ComputerGuy

This little place has been a number of oddball restaurants over the years, and now with an expanded interior and an upscale blended menu, looks like it's here to stay for a while.

I was treated to dinner last night by a lovely couple who really wanted me to try it, knowing I am somewhat of a foodie. Not only did Teocintle not disappoint, but I now have an extra place on my list of "places to return". I can't really comment on the prices, because (ironically) I never got a look at the full menu: one look at the daily board had me headed for trout papillote. And it was perfect, and much more ambitious than I would have thought. Not only was the steamed-in-foil fish firm and smokey, but it was smothered with a variety of fresh vegetables, including perhaps the best buttered asparagus ever, slices of charred corn on the cob, and so much more with a different variety on the side.

One dinner companion had the salmon and it looked perfect. A gazpacho soup was wolfed down by multiple diners. All dishes came with a wonderful scoop of mashed potatos; again, done to perfection. Dessert I declined, but the table ordered a tres-leche cake with mango and tequila that looked... and forgive me for saying this out loud in a review... stunning.

52 Constitución on the corner of Javier Mina. Open Tuesdays through Saturdays, 2:30 to 9. Reservations would seem a must: it was pretty busy for a Thursday night, full of regulars.

331-547-8968.

teocintle.jpg

1 hour ago, suegarn said:

Teocintle doesn't have a 'regular' menu.  They only use the board to show what is available each day.

I believe that is true for lunch.  However when we ate there they did have dinner menus.  I recall it was similar to this one which they have posted on their website.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/maizteocintle/menu/?ref=page_internal

CG...how would you rate their kitchen as far as speed?  We stopped going as they were always in the weeds.   Haven't been since their expansion; would like to return but after 3 visits and such slow service, we would like to know what to expect.  And please others, don't give me the "good food takes a long time blah blah blah."  Their kitchen operated at a glacial pace all 3 times we were there.  

• Like 1

It was a bit slow, yes. But there were a lot of people. Initially, the soup came out fairly quickly, and because we were all chatting, I only felt like it was a bit long. Not glacial. When I am with my regular dinner companion, neither of us drink, so we might have had a different sense.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, justsayin said:

They do have a menu and it offers many selections...all delicious and perfectly prepared by chef Gloria. Best food in Ajijic IMHO.

I have to admit, it's been several weeks since I've been there, but they never had a menu before, except for on the board.  They must have changed that.

26 minutes ago, suegarn said:

I have to admit, it's been several weeks since I've been there, but they never had a menu before, except for on the board.  They must have changed that.

If you only go for lunch, then they just have the board.  For dinner, always the menu, been that way for years. 

On 6/7/2019 at 8:32 AM, ComputerGuy said:

This little place has been a number of oddball restaurants over the years, and now with an expanded interior and an upscale blended menu, looks like it's here to stay for a while.

I was treated to dinner last night by a lovely couple who really wanted me to try it, knowing I am somewhat of a foodie. Not only did Teocintle not disappoint, but I now have an extra place on my list of "places to return". I can't really comment on the prices, because (ironically) I never got a look at the full menu: one look at the daily board had me headed for trout papillote. And it was perfect, and much more ambitious than I would have thought. Not only was the steamed-in-foil fish firm and smokey, but it was smothered with a variety of fresh vegetables, including perhaps the best buttered asparagus ever, slices of charred corn on the cob, and so much more with a different variety on the side.

One dinner companion had the salmon and it looked perfect. A gazpacho soup was wolfed down by multiple diners. All dishes came with a wonderful scoop of mashed potatos; again, done to perfection. Dessert I declined, but the table ordered a tres-leche cake with mango and tequila that looked... and forgive me for saying this out loud in a review... stunning.

52 Constitución on the corner of Javier Mina. Open Tuesdays through Saturdays, 2:30 to 9. Reservations would seem a must: it was pretty busy for a Thursday night, full of regulars.

331-547-8968.

teocintle.jpg

I was there nearly a year ago and will go again the next time I'm in Ajijic.  It's just wonderful.
https://mexicocooks.typepad.com/mexico_cooks/2018/07/you-cant-go-home-again-restaurante-teocintle-maíz-ajijic-jalisco-.html