Chapala.com Webboard

Oui-Oui: What Dad really wants for Father's Day . . .

7 hours ago, gringal said:

Seriously pricey, compared to other restaurants!

Thank you for your comment. Let’s indeed be serious  If you had ever been our guest, you would have an appreciation for Chef Daniels creations. So “pricey” compared to one of the multitude of local eateries with a cook? Absolutely, as it should be. Just like a Bordeaux or a Napa Cab is seriously pricier than the wine by the gallon most places serve around here (we only serve the first two). Again, that is the way it should be.

Apples to Apples: Lakeside restaurants with real Chefs (not someone who claims to be one, plenty of those around as well) are few and far between. Unfortunately, over the past decade the best ones left. Compared with the handful of Chef managed restaurants left, price wise, Oui-Oui is doing just fine. The most common comment we hear is "it is/was worth every penny/pesos".

So, while “Oui-Oui” may not be for you, may we recommend trying Breakfast at "La Vie en Rose" (next to "Oui Oui") where dishes start under 99p. Eggs Benedict (the real thing with Hollandaise made a la minute) will be featured for Father's Day.

In the meantime, for those who want Dad to enjoy a memorable three course meal starting at about 20 bucks, (25 CD) followed by pleasant live music. The first prix fixe we offer:

Aubergine au Fromage: Crispy fried Eggplant slices topped with fresh tomato Sauce & imported Swiss Cheese au gratin, accompanied by green Salad.

Pork Leg Fumé au style du Kentucky: with Bourbon sauce (Jim Beam) served with Corn stewed in Butter sauce & mashed Coral Purée gratinée.

Sorbet à la Mangue: house made with Fresh Mangoes.

That’s the first option (399p), the four other menu options (including fresh lobster) will be posted on FB, the next day or two. Thank you.

Interesting argument, but yours is not the only restaurant in the area with a "real" chef who knows how to cook a delicious meal, so I am still of the opinion that your price for what you are offering is higher than any other good restaurant in town, and I have tried nearly all of them.  However, it is your restaurant and you are fully entitled to charge whatever you wish.  Buen suerte. Peace.

It has been our shared experience that those restaurants, with a "real" chef who charge prices out of line with the local values, end up failing, and sometimes leaving in the dead of night to avoid their bills.

1 hour ago, gringal said:

Interesting argument, but yours is not the only restaurant in the area with a "real" chef who knows how to cook a delicious meal, so I am still of the opinion that your price for what you are offering is higher than any other good restaurant in town, and I have tried nearly all of them.  However, it is your restaurant and you are fully entitled to charge whatever you wish.  Buen suerte. Peace.

To be sure, I never said this was the only real chef restaurant, just one of the few, and a “delicious” meal is quite subjective.Though wish based prices would be great, nothing can be further from the truth: the standard practice is ingredients costs multiplied by a sliding scale ratio. Quite boring.

What is not boring is that “Oui Oui” makes its own Butters, Pâtés, Pastas, French Mother Sauces, Crème Brulées, Ice Creams, Sorbets, etc.. with 100% natural ingredients (organic when possible). No fillers, colorants or chemicals. Sounds like a commercial, doesn’t it? The added costs making it from scratch run 50 to 100% higher than store bought.

Finally, I do not think luck has much to do with anything. Our guests know precisely what they want and are knowledgeable enough to know the difference. Thought I respect your opinion, it is based on price only, not on the actual food or its taste, so we will have to agree to disagree. Peace, out.