Chapala.com Webboard

Short changed twice at Walmart, count your change and look at your receipt

On ‎6‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 5:45 PM, RIlady said:

I have been here over 10 years. So, I should just let their cheating go.  I never yell or raise my voice, but I'm not going to be screwed with.  Locals put up with theft and poor service, they expect it.  For that reason, locals never get problems resolved  and …… the beat goes on. 

Just in case you forgot the post!!!!

2 hours ago, slainte39 said:

And yet you allow derisive and insulting remarks about "locals" who I assume are Mexicans.

Difference was you got pretty nasty with a specific poster here in a personal way.    That may be OK on TOB but it isn't here.  Don't do it again.

You know about that word "assume" when broken down into its component parts?  :D

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

When I first moved here I was told “locals” was used to refer to anyone who lived here. People born in other countries were “foreigners” and Mexicans were “nationals.” I still often hear people use “locals” when they are talk about Mexicans. 

Mexican manners.

Course Fee: $250 MXN

Instructor: Alfredo Pérez

Course Dates: July 25, 2019

Course Time: Thursday, 10:00 -12:30 pm

Course Location: South Campus Board Room

Min/Max Students required: 11/40

Enrollment begins Jun 10 from 10:00 to 2:00 pm at the LCS Office

Enrollment ends July 20.

Description: Cultural shock is a normal part of life when we move to another country whose habits are different, we have to observe and learn the local rules of urbanity, what body language issues are appropriate and which are not.

Why is the behavior of the inhabitants of the new place so different? What do local people expect from me as a new inhabitant of the area?

What phrases should I use and at what times?

What should I understand about the time structure of the local people so different from mine?

Why are the procedures with the authorities so complicated? And a long list of etc.

Just in time for this thread, eh?

• Like 1

When we first moved to Mexico, 15 years ago, we lived in San Miguel de Allende.  We signed up for a three week, all day Spanish lessons session with the local Warren Hardy group.The first day, Warren came and spent the day pointing out the differences between Mexican cultural mores and those of the U.S.  Some of it was a real stunner; some was just another way to be polite and all in all, it was invaluable.  The course suggested at LCS would doubtless be a benefit to anyone who attends it, as well.

In my over 30 years travelling and doing business here as well as living here full time for over 11 years; In the grand scheme if things I find Mexicans extremely honest. Every culture and country has it's Bad Apples, and i have traveled extensively. Here there is more honesty than most. 

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, gringohombre said:

In my over 30 years travelling and doing business here as well as living here full time for over 11 years; In the grand scheme if things I find Mexicans extremely honest. Every culture and country has it's Bad Apples, and i have traveled extensively. Here there is more honesty than most. 

Yes, we are so fortunate that the word "mordida" does not exist in Mexico! And better still, corruption is totally unheard of.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 6

3 hours ago, FlyFree said:

Yes, we are so fortunate that the word "mordida" does not exist in Mexico! And better still, corruption is totally unheard of.

I was talking about business and commercial transactions; not government, police or the judicial system which is corrupt to the core. I have been doing business with artists, indigenous groups, families and many organizations here for more years than I care to mention and have had almost no problems with any of this. And to say that many hardworking cashiers or store clerks are scamming the vulnerable Gringos here is simply ludicrous!!! 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 6/6/2019 at 3:44 PM, Herman said:

I have gotten MORE change than I should have. Hundreds of pesos. I smile and walk away. 

I don't do that because the cashier has to account for missing money in the till when it doesn't jive with the receipts. They'll either have to pay it out of their own pocket or likely get fired. It could be argued that they should get fired if they can't pay attention to the job they're being paid to do, but I'd not like to think some woman with a family to support had to cough up 300 pesos that she mistakenly handed me.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, mudgirl said:

I don't do that because the cashier has to account for missing money in the till when it doesn't jive with the receipts. They'll either have to pay it out of their own pocket or likely get fired. It could be argued that they should get fired if they can't pay attention to the job they're being paid to do, but I'd not like to think some woman with a family to support had to cough up 300 pesos that she mistakenly handed me.

Best way to learn. 

• Sad 9

Sometimes it can be an honest mistake, but when it is more than 10 pesos, which it usually is, is it a mistake? I remember when the person at the cashier was shortchange a few hundred pesos, had given the cashier a 500 peso bill and the cashier stated it was a 200 bill. The person next in line bent over and looked under the counter and there was the 500 bill. It did involve the supervisor and a bit of a brouhaha, the cashier still in  denial, but the customer was given the correct change with apologies.  

This topic comes up constantly on this and various boards. I just pay even with large bills,pretend I'm watching the screen. Take what change I'm given. Tip the packer and leave.

I like  this little gem  "Don't sweat the small stuff-Robert Eliot" By the way,I have had cashiers run after me to give me some of my change that I forgot to pick up or dropped on the floor.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Happyjillin wrote  "I have had cashiers run after me to give me some of my change that I forgot to pick up or dropped on the floor."

Me too; I was happily shocked one time a Walmart. I forgot to pick up my 20 pesos of change. They chased me down and gave it to me, Needless to say, I tipped the person who brought the twenty peso bill to me. Being cheap, I only tipped 10 pesos.

20 hours ago, mudgirl said:

They have a third option when jerks take too much change that they don´t deserve, and that is, make it up on a future short change. So accepting too much change could cause a problem that human nature dictates a solution.