Chapala.com Webboard

Looking for some quality, fresh okra.

Nice guy at the Tuesday market has it in the summer, maybe now. Walk in, take an immediate right, and he is on your right almost all the way down. I will be there housesitting in August, and I have enough fresh Burgundy Okra seed to share, some of it with him.  Shoot, by then, I may have okra too. The burgundy is sooo much more tender than the normal. Unfortunately it turns green when cooked or pickled. Sometimes I dream of my grandmother's stewed okra, onions, and home grown tomatoes with fresh dill! So many people think they don't like okra, but the truth is they've never had it properly cooked. That's OK, more for us!

9 hours ago, elevator said:

Stuff at Superlake the other day was not fresh. Any other sources?

I usually buy at Abastos at the Asian's vegie booth at  mid rear of second building.  There are all the way through on the outside. I haven't been there for a month or two but they usually have it this time of year. 

5 hours ago, camillenparadise said:

Nice guy at the Tuesday market has it in the summer, maybe now. Walk in, take an immediate right, and he is on your right almost all the way down. I will be there housesitting in August, and I have enough fresh Burgundy Okra seed to share, some of it with him.  Shoot, by then, I may have okra too. The burgundy is sooo much more tender than the normal. Unfortunately it turns green when cooked or pickled. Sometimes I dream of my grandmother's stewed okra, onions, and home grown tomatoes with fresh dill! So many people think they don't like okra, but the truth is they've never had it properly cooked. That's OK, more for us!

I would be interested to know if Okra will make at Lake Chapala.  I'm not sure if it gets hot enough.  I have bought Okra at Superlake but I do not know where it comes from.  Where I was in Victoria, Australia the climate was about like it is here.  It never gets hot for an extended period.  There was no okra in the local markets so I had Okra seed shipped to me from the states.  The okra came up but never produced.  Just before I left I found some in the Victoria market that had come down from the Gold Coast.

• Haha 1

Gracias,  I am sure it gets warmer where you are than here on the lake shore.  I agree with you Okra is one of my favorites.  Have found most Mexicans I have talked to do not know what Okra is.

12 hours ago, rafterbr said:

I would be interested to know if Okra will make at Lake Chapala.  I'm not sure if it gets hot enough.  I have bought Okra at Superlake but I do not know where it comes from.  Where I was in Victoria, Australia the climate was about like it is here.  It never gets hot for an extended period.  There was no okra in the local markets so I had Okra seed shipped to me from the states.  The okra came up but never produced.  Just before I left I found some in the Victoria market that had come down from the Gold Coast.

I have grown okra in seasons past and produced enough for the freezer for later use in gumbo, stewed and fried durning producing season.

Trick is to plant it in late Feb as the it will be up and ready when the heat hits in March, April and May. After May the production is light and you may want to pull it up in favor of something else.

1 hour ago, geeser said:

I have grown okra in seasons past and produced enough for the freezer for later use in gumbo, stewed and fried durning producing season.

Trick is to plant it in late Feb as the it will be up and ready when the heat hits in March, April and May. After May the production is light and you may want to pull it up in favor of something else.

Thanks, I will try this