Chapala.com Webboard

Golf cart batteries

Can anybody guide me as to where to buy 6 six volt deep cell batteries for my golf cart? The local LTH in Riberas is not interested in my business enough to give me a fare price.

• Haha 1

Several years ago I talked with the LTH in Chapala (near/across from the 7-11), they said it might take them a month to get the batteries in.  I didn't wait.

I stopped at several LTH location in Guad and was unable to help them understand what I was looking for.  But, up in N.W. Guad, near the Home Depot there, I stopped in a LTH and after clearing the confusion (what is a deep cycle battery?), they said it would take about an hour, they could send somebody to get them for me.

It took two hours, but I bought and took home two of the 6 volt deep cycle batt.s that day, and returned a couple of months later for another pair.

Seems like price was around $150 or more, each, but again, several years ago.  Plus a core charge if you're not giving them the old batteries.

If you go to Sam's or Costco, you might be able to order what you want through them?

You probably know what you're doing, but in case not, let me just say, don't let anyone sell you a "Marine deep cycle" battery, that's not the same thing and won't perform nearly as well.

Also, if I buy again, I won't buy these "wet" lead acid batteries, instead, I will go with one of the newer dry options, which cost a lot more, but offer plenty for the money, longevity being one such benifit.

Niki - I have two Trojan 6 volt, T125 mileage maker batteries. They are several years old but have never been used. I think they are still viable because the sides are not bulging out like previous Trojans I have worn out. I think we could come to an economical price, it you can get someone to water them, then a deep, hot charge (burns corrosion from the plates. I don't know what someone might charge for this. Also, these are heavy batteries, 50 to 60 lbs each, you will need  someone to help you if interested. The Trojan T 105s are approximately $450 US each in Mexico, according to Johansen who uses them as backup for his solar array.

STI is now working directly with several brands of top quality deep cycle LiFePo4  lithium ion batteries; there are types and sizes for home energy storage systems, RV's, boats, and - yes - golf carts.

Beautiful products, no maintenance,  no off-gassing, 8 to 10 year or more life, less than half the weight of lead acid, super fast charging, can discharge repeatedly to 0 with no issue, and built-in  BMS (Battery Management System) and fully compatible with all existing charging systems.      Not cheap, however, actually much less $$ in the long run with much better performance - you'll likely never need to replace them.    PM for info.

While I have using the Trojan 6 volt batteries for over twenty years, I have nowhere near the experience as go solar. We were always told that booking up 6 volts into series to make 12 volts was more reliable. If you hooked a bunch of 12 volt batteries in parallel, one bad battery would disrupt the whole chain, whereas 6 volt would just draw on the next one. Then there was the issue of super heavy lead plates holding up on rough roads, and the ability to accept heavy, deep cycle charges. There used to be an issue of maintaining water levels but the invention of an inexpensive automatic watering system prevented that. I notice that Optima batteries, now made in Mexico use a spiral coil technology, but that none of them are recommended for rapid, deep cycle charges. I believe this stands for gel type batteries as well.

Sounds like Chillin has a LOT of experience, actually.    Here's a good link that covers both types of connections well for all battery types.    

https://batteryuniversity.com/index.php/learn/article/serial_and_parallel_battery_configurations

Another nice thing with the li-ion units, they stay almost identical to their original performance level, for many years, and on a daily use basis,  the voltage stays constant up to about the 90% discharge level.