Chapala.com Webboard

A Walmart suprise.

I went to Walmart a few days ago to buy a few things, including hamburger meat. Picked out a package that was nice and red. It looked very fresh. At home I broke open the package to store some of it inside the freezer. Well, Walmart  had applied a thin layer of fresh red meat to the outside of the patties. The meat inside was a dark reddish brown color. Who knows how old that was? The dog is still having hamburger for dinner.

I am only responding to this because I read about it lately:

Why is pre-packaged ground beef red on the outside and sometimes dull, grayish-brown inside?
Oxygen from the air reacts with meat pigments to form a bright red color which is usually seen on the surface of meat purchased in the supermarket. The pigment responsible for the red color in meat is oxymyoglobin, a substance found in all warm-blooded animals. Fresh cut meat is purplish in color. The interior of the meat may be grayish brown due to lack of oxygen; however, if all the meat in the package has turned gray or brown, it may be beginning to spoil.

https://www.fsis.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsis/topics/food-safety-education/get-answers/food-safety-fact-sheets/meat-preparation/ground-beef-and-food-safety/ct_index

Regardless of the reason, I ceased to buy meat from Walmart, especially after discovering that the mysterious "sell by" date wasn't necessarily so.

I buy my burger at the butchers, selecting the sirloin chunks and watching it ground on the spot. 

• Like 6

This was an obvious attempt to make the hamburger look fresh. Over the years, I have bought a lot of hamburger at Walmart. Never had a problem even close to this one. The outside surface of the patties  was smooth, shaped by hand.  I will not buy meat there again.

46 minutes ago, chapalence said:

Why anyone buys meat at Walmart or Soriana is beyond me. Nasty!

Have bought various meats from both for many years including hamburger. Walmart sells great whole chicken and wings,tongue,lamb duck etc. Sometimes it wasn't right just like at Safeway and other large stores in Canada so I'm not going to cut off my nose to spite my face.  Generally buy hamburger at the Chapala Mercado from one of the butchers because I don't bbq burgers rare which requires a lot of extra fat for juiciness. Also have trained the butchers there for perfect ribs and pork shoulder steaks. Oh and I  will get a goat part once in a while

bought the leg off this goat at chapala mercado.jpg

41 minutes ago, pappysmarket said:

Pedro?

Nope - posted by Nads Small.

Just moved into our new place, was surprised by herd of about 20 meat goats, will have to explore where they came from. Also neighbors with an abandoned fruit or nut orchard. We have mango, lime, chayotes. Will plant a sugar apple tree as well. The goats were a good warning to transplant well advanced saplings.

Who needs Wal-Mart - I can just live off the land -yuk yuk. 

• Like 1

Nitrates are added to cure meats in order to keep meat in red color. The plumping process of 15 - 30% and some even 40% saltwater injected to packaged meat for flavor and freshness. Both are allowed in the US by USDA.

As a result, the under layer meat changed color because it's soaked in water. We also end up paying some saltwater since it adds weight to the meat.

So NO Walmart prepackaged meat.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, camillenparadise said:

Well, I see I can't buy raw meat for my Bebo while I am there petsitting! Does Costco sell ground chicken? Soriana is OUT of the question since the manager kicked and broke a dog's jaw while the dog was only looking for a bit of shade. I try to alternate chicken, pork, and beef with Purina Pro Plan kibbles every day.

For ground chicken go to Puritan Poultry in Riberas. Costco does sell ground turkey as well as beef. Any local carneceria will grind beef and/or pork to your specifications. I use "La Chapalence" in the Chapala Mercado for all the meat I don't buy at Costco. Eddie and Marta, the owners, are the best.

19 minutes ago, CHILLIN said:

Try running jilliing through your urban dict, Angus. Jilling is the female opposite to male jacking. Is wanker 2000 an acceptable handle on a "hoping to be decent" website?

What does the first, number one, top definition say?

TOP DEFINITION

The sensation of jamming, (to music, or anything) while chilling. Mostly done at home.
Did you see Tommy today? He was totally jillin out at his house!

16 hours ago, MtnMama said:

???? Tony's sometimes has ground chicken and always has hamburger. Costco has ground turkey.

I've had erratic experience at Tony's recently. Not much on display and no hamburger. When I asked for it, I was offered stew meat. I knew that might not be a great idea. The butcher ground it and didn't add any fat. It was awful. Well it wasn't hamburger.

This old stand by appears to be going down hill.

20 minutes ago, Sea said:

I've had erratic experience at Tony's recently. Not much on display and no hamburger. When I asked for it, I was offered stew meat. I knew that might not be a great idea. The butcher ground it and didn't add any fat. It was awful. Well it wasn't hamburger.

This old stand by appears to be going down hill.

Even the smoked pork hock is not in stock a lot more often. I used to buy alleged lamb loin chops there. I say that because I stopped buying it because real lamb is not tough no matter what part of the carcass and especially the loin. In the past year started buying rib eye which was excellent but every time that I dropped by lately it wasn't available. Pictured are lamb loin chops.

Lamb loin-Chop-petite-2.jpg

CG and happyjillin are correct.  If the hamburger meat is over a day old the chemical process will make the inner meat turn brown.  We don't much have the problem here in Chapala because most butcher shops don't use additives.  You can safely use the hamburger meat that is brown on the inside as long as you don't leave the blood running, if its bad it will usually smell bad.  In Oklahoma the health department makes you cook the hamburger meat until it is not red inside.  We were told you could pick up parasites if the hamburgher meat was not properly prepared.