Chapala.com Webboard

ILOX Telephone Service

I think most people know that ILOX assigns a telephone number to your service at the time of install. The number is 376-109-xxxx. You can plug your telephone into the router and use that number. 

You can also port your existing Telmex number to ILOX. I asked for the port last week as part of the install but the installers missed a step. In order to port your phone number you have to give ILOX a pin number (nip) from Telmex. You get that number by dialing 051, listening to the message and hanging up. The phone rings immediately giving you the 4 digit pin. Once they had the pin the transfer happened quickly.

I have emailed a couple of times asking for what sort of services ILOX might offer with the change. Call forwarding? Call Waiting? Voicemail? So far no response other than we'll look into it.

I believe calls to Mexico, US and Canada are unlimited but I think there is a limit to the number of calls to a Mexican cell. Again, not sure.

Inbound cell calls show up with the country code on caller ID somewhat messing up portable phone contacts but no big deal.

The other assumption is that I can go to Telmex and totally cancel service but still protecting my original home number ported to ILOX. It works that way in the US but we're not in the US so assumptions could be painful.

No problems with the phone service except for the 2 hour outage this week that has been noted. Not a big deal with a cell phone.

Magic Jack is finally stable after struggling with abysmal upload speeds from Telmex. No one could hear us and calls dropped. TV shows download in under a minute as opposed to 8-10 and while downloading no other user is affected. HD content? FAST. 

Anyone who has additional information about ILOX telephone please comment. 

John said, "The other assumption is that I can go to Telmex and totally cancel service but still protecting my original home number ported to ILOX. It works that way in the US but we're not in the US so assumptions could be painful."

Yes, if it were in the US you, at the point of porting your Telmex number, would no longer have telephone service with them. And your original number would now 'belong' to ILOX so no need to 'protect' it at Telmex. I presume that you had Telmex Internet.... and may still use it with another device... so that may/will need to be cancelled when you are ready.

The Telmex modem is unplugged sitting all by it's lonesome waiting to find a new home.

The Telmex hard line no longer provides dial tone so it is dead and theoretically the number now belongs to Ilox.  But since the Telmex account is based on that phone number I have concerns that once I walk into the office and cancel service they might also mess with the phone number on the account.  

There's probably nothing to worry about when canceling Telmex Internet and phone service but so often logic is not part of any equation when dealing with utility companies.

I canceled Telecable service the day Ilox was installed. The auto payment hit moments after I paid for 2 days service in May. I go back to request a refund and it was like speaking a language foreign to me and the girl behind the desk. She asks if I know anyone I could transfer the credit. No, they all terminated your service. Then you must go to Bancomer and request a refund from Telecable. It will be easy. Of course it's not easy and the wait will be a month or longer. Patience... 

Is the modem yours or did Telmex give it to you? If Telmex gave it to you then you must return it to Telmex. I have two Telmex modems that I purchased on Mercado Libre and they both work. The one that I will be giving back to Telmex when I cancel the internet portion of my account is deader than a doornail and it's the dead one that they gave me to replace the dead one that I turned in. Such fun. I have written all over the box... Muerte/no funcione/basura and it will give me such pleasure to give to back to them... but it is the one with the ID number that is tied to my account and I always play by the rules.

15 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

iLox would never cut a phone line. Pretty sure that's illegal.

Last week, CFE replaced all the poles and wires on the street where I live. I was. of course, without power for several hours. When the power came back on, the Telemex phone and modem lit up, but no dial tone or internet. i went outside and found the Telmex guy who mwas woeking alongside the CFE guys. He had already passed my house and was workig further down the block. He came back to my house to check. Lo and behold, the CFE guys had cut my Telmex wire.He was visably unhappy about it, but he said to wait a bit. He climbed the pole, installed a new wire, and I was reconnected to Telmex.

I don't know wny this happened to me. I was in the house reading, minding my own business, but I lost my internet and phone service anyway.

Sorry, CG. But apparently these utility guys, whether line men or CEOs, don't know or don't care about what's illegal.

• Sad 1

Thanks Tom. That gives me a level of comfort as I go to the office one last time with my modem and cancel service.

I'l still trying to find out if Ilox offers telephone services like call forwarding, call blocking, voicemail, 3 way and so on. No response so far from the people on the other end of noc@xxxx.

It's good to hear that Telmex speeds are picking up elsewhere around town possibly due to all the defections to Ilox. 

2 hours ago, NLU said:

Sorry, CG. But apparently these utility giuys, whether line men or CEOs, don't know or don't care about what's illegal.

Ha, never said they did. There are all kinds of slack morons out there.

But that is not how iLox does it. They port the number over electronically. And they have nothing to do with the TelMex lines, nothing at all. When iLox installs, it is completely separate. Same as you wouldn't expect Telecable to cut your lines when installing their cable.

It is unclear at this point what happens after iLox ports your phone number. TelMex removes it from your account, but do they cancel your account? I don't think so.. you would have to do that in person, I expect. Best to go in and check, so you don't get any surprises.

John,

My Telmex phone number was ported to Ilox on a Wed

I never cancelled my Telmex service

So when i had to go back to telmex the following Tuesday, their office was able to port my then Ilox number back to Telmex

Don't know how that affects you, but I had no problem with Telmex service being cancelled when ilox ported number

• Sad 1

When Ilox installed, they cut my telmex line. Ilox kept telling me to call and port my number. This went on for 2 months until Ilox finally came out, reconnected my telmex line so I could port. Once done, they left the telmex line cut again.

Wait, you've had iLox for longer than two months? That would probably make you the very first install. And if they did cut it, like I said, they were morons. TelMex offers other services via their lines than just phone, and many people want to keep their Internet service, so why would they do that? Regardless of the law.

• 4 weeks later...

My iLox installer was supposed to port my phone number.

Instead, he assigned me a new number. I have sent an email and visited the storefront trying to get this fixed. Anyone have the same problem and got a solution?

56 minutes ago, jayc1ay said:

My iLox installer was supposed to port my phone number.

Instead, he assigned me a new number. I have sent an email and visited the storefront trying to get this fixed. Anyone have the same problem and got a solution?

Does your new number look like 109-xxxx? If so that’s the Ilox number assigned to you. Every customer gets one whether or not you want to use it.

If you want to port your Telmex number to Ilox, dial 051on your Telmex line. You will hear a message in Spanish that will end with speaking a 4 digit PIN number. That is the number needed to give Ilox permission to port and take ownership of the Telmex number.

Now write an email to noc@mail.ilox.mx, tell them you want to port your Telmex number, give them the contract number, service address, youe name, phone number and pin. Plug a phone into the phone 1 port of the modem. They will ring that number when the port is complete. At that time your Telmex line will be dead - no dial tone.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I just cancelled my Telmex internet service after a  month of using ILOX and keeping Telmex internet, too...just to see how well Ilox worked. So, when I cancelled Telmex internet, but retained myTelmex phone, they said that the free phone  calls service to USA and Canada will be cancelled. For me, not  a big problem. Those calls are infrequent and I still have Skype. But, just a warning about cancelling Telmex internet. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the good info John. I have already done all you suggested except for plugging a phone into the phone1 line. The Ilox fellow plugged my phone in there and it is working fine with the 109-xxxx number. Before I do it all again do you know if the exercise will work with the other line?

During the transition it is good to have one phone plugged into the Telmex jack and the other into the ILOX modem phone port. From a cell phone you can call your Telmex number and see which phone rings. When the port is complete a technician will call your Telmex number which will now ring on the ILOX modem. At that time you can disconnect the phone connected to the Telmex jack and leave the phone of choice plugged into ILOX.

I don't know what you mean by "the other line". Once the port is complete you no longer have any 109-xxxx number.

John, 

The phone line Ilox gives you is a SIP Voice over IP trunk.  Those typically have a lot of features...Ilox has a special page for telecom services where you can register and get additional numbers, etc.    But I don't have the minutae on whether the phone line they give you as part fo the fiber package has the same.   Best as you say, write the NOC and see what they say..

https://www.iloxtelecom.com/troncal-sip

For anyone interested, ILOX call forwarding is activated similar to the Telmex "Follow Me" or Sígueme.

To activate dial *21 followed by the 10 digit number of the phone to receive the calls followed by #. No 045 is required for forwarding to cell phones as is the case for now with Telmex. You will receive a message indicating success.

To deactivate dial #21#

When using this service with Telmex, the caller ID on the forwarded phone displayed the home phone number. With ILOX, the phone number originating the call is passed to you. Much better.

I use this all the time when traveling throughout Mexico although it would work when in the US or Canada.

It took a couple of emails to noc to get the correct information, the first response being incorrect. Both emails were answered within 30 minutes, even one sent Sunday afternoon.