Chapala.com Webboard

La Ceiba

ComputerGuy

Went back this Saturday. Manager told us that the restaurant they own at the Balneario was SO packed last weekend, they had to pull all the staff from the west Ajijic shop and close it down, even though they had just started advertising for it. Luckily for all, it was open, although empty, at 7pm.

I still can't believe you can get a dozen shrimp al gusto on a plate with sweet potato chips and a salad for $113p. No one else offers prices like that. They were delicious in the mojo de ajo dressing I chose, although a little overdone. My partner had the salmon, and asked for it without the alfredo/noodles the dish is advertised with: no problem. Whatever she wanted instead. So a big side of veg and sweet potato fries. This slice of salmon was as big as I make at home: twice the size of a typical serving around here. $149.

For starters I had the cream of carrot soup, which was tasty, but was mostly just blenderized carrots (45p, large bowl). So that's a rich caldo, but not interesting enough, so I asked for a side of crema, which turned out to be really, really good crema, nice and thick, and mixed some of that in. Elevated the soup to where it needed to be. My salad came with blue cheese dressing, and it was obviously a quality version: thick and chunky.

We also had the avocado salad to start, and had a choice between chicken, shrimp, or tuna, so I threw caution to the wind and ordered it with chicken. The chicken bits were marinated before grilling, and the plate had three avocado halves just stuffed with it and with a lovely selection of greens. 49p. Wow. A meal for most people.

Needless to say, we had lots of leftovers. Service was impeccable (I know, when do I ever say that?), partly because we were the only ones, but we were also treated extremely well, and that really made me happy. Sebastian was his name, and we tipped him well.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I enjoyed it a few times, but it is sadly now closed forever, as of Monday, November 11, 2019. For some reason, it never attracted a following, even with the more-than-reasonable prices. I guess it was the pineapple-on-hamburger fiasco that everyone remembered.