Chapala.com Webboard

Choppers flying constantly today

10 hours ago, sm1mex said:

Went by the ugly road today but no smoke.  There is a lot of chopper activity today so where is the fire now?

I don't know where (or what) the "ugly road" is, but I drove to the other side of the north shore's mountains yesterday. That meant going out past Jocotopec to Highway 15, and then up to the turnoff to Potrerillos an Las Trojes. The road takes you all the way along the north face of the mountains. I was looking for evidence of a fire that would require the amount of helicopter activity that has been going on for the last several days. There was no evidence of a major fire, either underway or extinguished. There were a few small burns near the road or on the hillside, but they were clearly the result of small, controlled field burning. 

Does anyone know the location of the fire that has caused so much activity?

15 hours ago, sm1mex said:

Went by the ugly road today

That description made me chuckle. The "ugly road" certainly covers a multitude of locations lakeside!

How about this one in Riberas:

image.thumb.png.e7b1fbb77352fce36a576e3292489b4f.png

Or this one, also in Riberas... with potholes as wide as the street!

image.thumb.png.4ee91b7841b06a5e265b96d3a36921c4.png

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, RVGRINGO said:

Cookj5 seems to have been on the south shore of Lake Chapala, while the fires were on the mountains to the north side of the lake. 

¿Confundido?

Wrong. Cookj5 went north behind our mountains to have a look. To get there you must go west  to Jocotepec to 15 and north to the road to Los Potrillos and Las Trojes, not south towards San Luis,etc Our friends in Las Trojes said they hadn't seen smoke or fire so it must be east of them and west of Izla. The ugly road is off the Librimento snaking up the hill ...

10 hours ago, cookj5 said:

A lot of discussion of whether I knew the north from the south side of the lake (after 12 years here, I certainly hope so!) but still no information about where the fire actually is/was? Does ANYONE know for sure?

The fires started on the north side of the mountain range above the eastern end of Ajijic.  Then it spread to the south-facing side of those mountains.  It's been mostly contained to the area between Chula Vista Norte and Ajijic Centro.  I haven't heard any choppers for the last 18 hours or so, so I'm hoping they have it mostly out now.

On 5/7/2019 at 9:03 AM, RVGRINGO said:

Cookj5 seems to have been on the south shore of Lake Chapala, while the fires were on the mountains to the north side of the lake. 

¿Confundido?

Potrerillos and Las Trojes are where Cookj5 described, on the north side of the north shore mountains not on the south side of the lake. Check your map