Chapala.com Webboard

Measles

2 hours ago, happyjillin said:

Anti-vaxers are sheep with closed minds who have read fake science or had lectures from hollywood stars . all of it has been exposed  by REAL scientists and medical professionals as fake so why bother reading any of it. I have written training materials for doctors,was an executive in a big pharma corp. I have what is called experience and studied more scientific papers and journals than you can shake a stick at including what you call natural methods. It appears that you and your consortium of anti vaxers on this board are the ones with closed minds, as you like to put it, feeding yourselves the pablum of phony science. Real doctors do not prescribe antibiotics for virus infections that's just more anecdotal BS passed by people who know nothing of what they speak or have an axe to grind against legit medicine.

People who make assumptions about what others believe or where they get their information are also sheep with closed minds. I don't recall saying I was an anti-vaxxer. I said the opposite, that some vaccinations make a lot of sense, I just question whether all do.

11 hours ago, cafemediterraneo said:

when did you get a black plague vaccine? And small pox was a scratch on the skin, not an injection. It was last given in 1969...The scientific methods that we so revered have been sold out to the highest bidder and statistical analysis has become the butt of"lies, half lies and statistics". We don't contract illness from belief in it or not but by our daily habits and care.

I know that you think the buzzing noise you here all the time is just a sign of aging, but it is in fact the point going over your head. "Smallpox was officially declared eradicated in 1979". The Smallpox vaccine is no longer given because the Smallpox vaccine worked and we didn't have every febrile, reactionary bead clutcher getting in the way. As for the plague that killed millions, it is now treatable with antibiotics. Science, not potions or prayers or prostrations; Science. The scientific method is just that, a method. Nothing to sell. Oh, and for the record, the quote is "lies, damn lies and statistics". I think your millennia old belief system is showing. How gauche.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, CHILLIN said:

Here is an article about the rise in anti biotic resistant UTI strains. It is not written by a doctor, but makes some very good observations.

https://elemental.medium.com/uti-treatment-is-in-crisis-868448dd41a4

Not sure I even agree with anyone being on a specific antibiotic for years because, of course, it's eventually going to wipe out everything. Including your specific biome in the gut and your specific biome is a major part of your immune system to begin with.

I've done literally thousands of urine cultures in the lab and the majority  (95%) are no growth. This article is saying that those 5% are normal and the rest aren't? Don't think so. I still believe that urine is sterile but would point the finger at improperly taken samples and improperly stored samples before culturing.

43 minutes ago, Ferret said:

Not sure I even agree with anyone being on a specific antibiotic for years because, of course, it's eventually going to wipe out everything. Including your specific biome in the gut and your specific biome is a major part of your immune system to begin with.

I've done literally thousands of urine cultures in the lab and the majority  (95%) are no growth. This article is saying that those 5% are normal and the rest aren't? Don't think so. I still believe that urine is sterile but would point the finger at improperly taken samples and improperly stored samples before culturing.

According to science news.org,  urine is not sterile.

“It appears that the urban legend about urine being sterile has its roots in the 1950s, Hilt says, when epidemiologist Edward Kass was looking for a way to screen patients for urinary tract infections before surgery. Kass developed the midstream urine test (still used when you pee in a cup) and set a numerical cutoff for the number of bacteria in normal urine: not more than 100,000 colony-forming units (cell clusters on a culture dish) per milliliter of urine. A person tests “negative” for bacteria in their urine as long as the number of bacteria that grow in a lab dish containing the urine falls below this threshold. “It appears that the dogma that urine is sterile was an unintended consequence,” Hilt says.

Hilt and her colleagues used a more sensitive growth-culture technique to detect the low levels of bacteria in normal urine, reasoning that maybe some urinary bacteria don’t grow readily under the conditions of the standard test. Having already found bacterial genetic material in urine (as did another team), in their latest work they used catheters to collect urine directly from the bladders of 84 women, half of whom had overactive bladder syndrome, which causes patients to have to urinate frequently. They put samples of the urine in lab dishes and let the urine bacteria grow under friendlier conditions. More than 70 percent of the urine samples contained bacteria, including at least 33 types of bacteria (at the genus level) in normal urine. Women with overactive bladders had more types of bacteria in their urine (77 genera), including four species found only in overactive bladder patients.”

Yes, I just read that study too. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3957746/ and it's fascinating. Blows all the old theories out of the water. Incredibly time consuming and complicated (read expensive). Makes me wonder if any Doctor would order the detailed test since they don't even order the old simple kind of cultivation to make sure they get antibiotic resistance out of the way before prescribing.

This statement is a follow up to the above study... https://www.europeanurology.com/article/S0302-2838(14)00782-9/fulltext

This reminds me of surgeons who remove tumours and say "we got it all" and do not prescribe chemotherapy. All it takes is ONE cancer cell to have gotten loose.