Chapala.com Webboard

Mexico-U.S.A. Immigration down 90%

CHILLIN

Read an article yesterday in Washington Post that immigration from Mexico to the U.S. - whether legal, illegal, or seasonal workers, is down 90% over the past twenty years. The main reason is median age. Twenty years ago that age was 24, now it is 30. Many areas of the Mexican economy have opened up, and many have returned to Mexico to invest in small business, etc. The Central American countries now have this low median age, but for employers to get them to the U.S. is expensive. As the economies of Central America improve, and median age increase, this flow is also expected to be greatly reduced.

This is not in the article, but it once again points to a tri national (U.S.A., Canada, Mexico) effort to provide viable employment, at least in Southern Mexico. I mentioned before that industrial hemp, like its historic predecessor, hennequin, grows very well in that climate. An industry based on hemp rope, clothes, paper, sandals, edibles, would benefit from a low cost work force and take the strain off the Southern Mexican border and the U.S. border.

a great article. https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2019/04/david-frum-how-much-immigration-is-too-much/583252/

I. The Wave That’s Still Building

Through much of the 20th century, the United States received comparatively few immigrants. In the 60 years from 1915 until 1975, nearly a human lifetime, the United States admitted fewer immigrants than arrived, legally and illegally, in the single decade of the 1990s.

If you grew up in the 1950s, the 1960s, or even the 1970s, heavy immigration seemed mostly a chapter from the American past, narrated to the nostalgic strains of The Godfather or Fiddler on the Roof. The Ellis Island immigrant-inspection station—through which flowed the ancestors of so many of today’s Americans—closed in 1954. It reopened as a museum in 1990.

Yet rather than fading into history, immigration has only been accelerating. From 1990 to 2015, 44 million people left the global South to find new homes in the global North. They came from Latin America, Africa, and Asia.

• Like 1

I also appreciated David Frum's article. His mother, Barbara, was a famous broadcast journalist in Canada. It was surprising when he moved to the U.S. to become a well respected conservative commentator. Saying that, much of what he is talking about has been achieved in the Canadian immigration system. As they say, too often in my opinion, is that Canada immigration is a mosaic, where different cultures are encouraged to embrace their ethnicity, whereas the U.S.A. immigration is a melting pot, and different cultures are encouraged to assimilate. If the ones in charge of cultural, political, and social norms do not see assimilation - then they get angry, and there you have it.

Well? - attempting to sort out your dissociated comments, bringing Canada in as an unrelated country to this subject, I will tell you that all the touchy feely emotions are rendered irrelevant because the US, America (if you will), is a country and society of laws, and the plain, unabashed fact undisputed by any legal authority, is that crossing into the US illegally is a crime. All the smooze, touchy feely emotions etc is a mask to cover the reality of that fact that there is essentially an "invasion" of illegals into the US - which is increasing in an attempt to swamp, overcome if you will, the border security.

NOTE: On a specific note, Frum was attached to the Bush administration - not really a proforma validation of Conservatism, maybe a member of the Republican establishment, but not Conservatism I can assure you.

PS: Here's something most folks don't know, the legal immigration system in the US was mostly shut down from the mid 20's until the early 60's - for one simple reason, to allow assimilation of incoming non-Americans.

I assume you live in MX, I lived there, let me assure you the current "crop of immigrants" has little or no interest in assimilating into the American culture. They are there, by their own admissions, to access a "better life" etc. In other words, they seek the easy life, the milk, the gold and are unwilling to follow the previous generations path that came to America to find those same things, but learned the language, that assimilated into the American culture and knew that doing so causes a rising tide that floats all boats including their children and prodigy.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

All of the new Congress that comes from minority ethnicities, religions, racial makeups, seem to read, write, and understand English, as well as the laws, good or bad.

So what is your problem about all this assimilation?

Oh I see, they should be white. blue eyed Christians (preferably non-Catholic)

A total red herring argument.

Attrition of your point of view is more important to me than your idea of assimilation.

• Like 4
  • Sad 2

8 hours ago, giltner68 said:

.........I assume you live in MX, I lived there, let me assure you the current "crop of immigrants" has little or no interest in assimilating into the American culture. They are there, by their own admissions, to access a "better life" etc. In other words, they seek the easy life, the milk, the gold and are unwilling to follow the previous generations path that came to America to find those same things, but learned the language, that assimilated into the American culture and knew that doing so causes a rising tide that floats all boats including their children and prodigy.

Well my friend, I think that we can 'all' agree that our immigration laws were not written to address the current kind of problems we are seeing caused by the sheer numbers of folks attempting to enter under our asylum laws.  But I, for one, am not buying that your 'assurance' about the intent of the 'current crop' is more than just an opinion of how you see it and wish it weren't and, in my opinion, is a gross misrepresentation (easy life, milk, gold, unwilling) of a group of people none of us really know or know much of anything about. 

• Like 3

The most disturbing part of this is that Mexico has been allowing those illegals to use Our country(those of us who have invested in gaining citizenship in Mexico) as a back door to the USA. That must not continue and apparently our current Mexican government  believes that the administration NOB is serious with its threats to completely shut down the Border until the US Congress acts to put controls on these illegals, or Mexico steps up on enforcing our own laws on illegals in our country. The latter seems to be happening now. IMHO, AMLO is interested in a friendly, strong, and productive relation with the government NOB.

23 minutes ago, Jim Bowie said:

The most disturbing part of this is that Mexico has been allowing those illegals to use Our country(those of us who have invested in gaining citizenship in Mexico) as a back door to the USA. That must not continue and apparently our current Mexican government  believes that the administration NOB is serious with its threats to completely shut down the Border until the US Congress acts to put controls on these illegals, or Mexico steps up on enforcing our own laws on illegals in our country. The latter seems to be happening now. IMHO, AMLO is interested in a friendly, strong, and productive relation with the government NOB.

Gosh, no honorable mention for asylum seekers?

• Like 2

The vast majority are asylum seekers, and are therefore not 'illegals'. They either appear at a border entry point, and suffer the long waits, sometimes for days, during the 'intentional slowdown', or cross more quickly elsewhere, and then walk the roads and turn themselves in to the first border patrol officer they encounter; also legal.  It is true that the numbers are overwhelming, but that is not the fault of Mexico, which treats them humanely, rather than turning them back to face the dangers they seek to escape.  They need help, not punishment, from both Mexico and the USA, as has always been our traditional policy; until 'recent changes in certain personnel.   New temporary facilities are now opening in Donna and El Paso, TX., and local shelters and other organizations are doing all they can to help.  No, our USA immigration system was not designed to handle such a large influx of refugees, nor were those in European countries also facing similar overloads in recent years.  Migrations have always resulted when civilizations begin to crumble.  The crumbling is well under way!

• Like 3

once you cross that border without permission you have broken the law....to claim asylum you show up to the embassy in your home country and request.  oh poor refugees ---- when I migrated to Mexico I had to follow the procedure to the LETTER.   nobody's heart bled for me.

enough of this feel good liberal crap..

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

On 5/1/2019 at 7:07 PM, CHILLIN said:

What a disgusting website. Heard of it, but never explored. Yuck!

Can you address what the article there states?  Or just have a lame ad hom response.  Looks like you just let yourself be brainwashed into "knowing" about it without bothering to check it out and draw an informed conclusion.  I note you have been provided two supporting citations from media which seems to be ideologically acceptable to your point of view.  Now what?

Mexico has damaged itself badly both economically and socially by allowing itself to be a conduit of these politically organized and motivated caravans.  Everything I've seen in the Mexican press including polling seems to indicate that the Mexican public wants their government to stop this practice.  Frankly, I'm not sure they can after reading the stories and seeing the videos about how these mobs have battered their way across Mexico's southern borders.

Nothing changed in central America that all the sudden created a mass migration.  The problems there are long standing and well known.  What changed was an organized effort by known open borders organizations to fund and personally stimulate the formation of these "caravans."  It has little to do with actually helping people and a whole lot to do with their political agenda.  The vast majority of the people they have recruited have been told all sorts of stories about the free stuff waiting for them in the U.S.  

As for the Canadian opinion on this topic, I noticed that after just a few thousand "asylum" seekers showed up at their border Canada quickly changed their own rules.  I'll pay more attention to what Canadians think about immigration when they have actually dealt with a mass assault on their borders and a huge population of illegal immigrants (I believe the last figure I saw on Canadian illegals was a couple hundred thousand).  Until then, respectfully, that country and its citizens simply aren't qualified to tell the U.S. what to do about this.  It's not your country or your border.

Canada seems bent on creating some sort of Tower of Babel of unassimilable migrants up there.   In view of the European experience with similar policies I can only wish you the best of luck with that.  You will need it.  If I were Canadian I would be a lot more concerned about the many reports of the growth of immigrant criminal gangs in cities there. 

However here is a great opportunity for Canada to step up and send transport to the U.S. and take a few million illegals.  I hope you Canadians will urge your government to do the right thing and take your share of these migrants.  A million or so sounds about right.  How about it?  :)

I don't expect to see this happen though.  It is a lot easier to talk a good game than play it.  Look at the reaction of these so called sanctuary cities when offered the opportunity to put their communities where their mouths are.  LOL

And RV, the vast majority are young males who are motivated by economics which is not grounds for asylum in the U.S.  More than a few of them are from the criminal population who are in fact the major oppressors of their fellow citizens in Central America.  A goodly number of them are also Haitians and Cubans.  How did they get from there to join these caravans?  

Wanting to join your MS-13 buddies in LA is also not grounds for asylum in the U.S.  :)

As for the original topic, yes far fewer Mexicans are illegally immigrating to the U.S.  As noted this is due to both economic improvement here and the rapidly changing demographics of Mexico.  This is good for Mexico in the long run.  However the country still has too few jobs and too low pay to be inviting in a bunch of Central Americans and I think the general population is aware of that.  Hopefully the government here will take the hint from both NOB and internally and put a stop to this situation.  

• Like 2

Thank you MC for providing a l-e-n-g-t-h-y diatribe supporting the alt - right, white supremacist (sorry nationalist) agenda. It contains a great many errors, misinterpretations, and out right lies.

Firstly, Washington Post has won 4 Pulitzer prizes for journalism just this year - how many have Breitbart, Alex Jones, Info Wars, Steve Bannon, Yannopolis won - EVER.

Secondly, as RV as pointed out, you have to learn the differrence between "illegals" and "asylum seekers". For example, there is no way there are 200,000 "illegals" in Canada at this time. David Frum's article is coming from an intimate knowledge of both the Canadian and U.S. immigrations systems. He is smart enough not to exclaim "this is what we did in Canada, since 1996, and you should do the same". It would be very difficult to be an illegal in Canada. Employers know the risks, and in 90% of the country you would not survive a winter living under a bridge. They did not change the rules recently, just the opposite, they merely informed border crossers that they would most likely face deportation. Those that present as asylum seekers, other than Convention Refugees, have to go though an extensive examination. Very few are successful. They can't work during this time, and the ones I have worked with, and gotten to know, spend their waiting time in basement suites, with up to four or more living on $600 Cdn per month. In fairness, many of them too, also do not understand the difference between asylum and legal migration. One co-worker, Charlis, from Nicaragua, was a Coca Cola truck driver there. He managed to pass under asylum requirements (union organiser), and then went to Coca Cola Canada to ask them for a job, before he was laughed out of their office.

Thirdly your views are obviously from tainted sources. You have obviously have never got to know any of these asylum seekers and their life stories, or know anything remotely truthful about the Canadian immigration system. To pass along these opinions, or impressions, without any actual knowledge is shameful. I am sorry, but it is.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 6
  • Haha 1