Chapala.com Webboard

Mexico City 4 days

I spent 4 days there a couple of years ago.  That is not nearly enough time.  The city is huge and takes time to get around.  I would decide what your main interests are and go from there.  I was interested in the Museum of Archeology and Teotihuacan mainly and also went to a huge retail food market with Mexico Cooks (More Liana on this board).  Because I was travelling with friends we had a driver but metered taxis and Uber are everywhere.  We stayed in the Plaza Santo Domingo area close to the main square and within walking distance of many of the attractions like the Palacio de Bellas Artes.  There was no time for a visit to the canals or the Frida Khalo Museum or Chapultepec park.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Have stayed at the Red Tree House....great location in Condesa and wonderful hosts, plus you will meet interesting people from all over the world at breakfast and at their afternoon wine reception.  Their concierge services are free and excellent advice offered and they will go out of their way to accomodate you.  Walkable to Metro (it's the best way around town and dirt cheap).  Many streetside cafes and other eateries near the B&B so you can walk to dinner.   

Depends on your interests, but we took a taxi to Frida House and wouldn't have missed it for the world.  Chapultepec Park was another highlight with the tour of the outstanding Castle (the only royal castle in the Americas) and other museums within the park.  

http://theredtreehouse.com/

• Thanks 1

Depending on your age, state of health, and, especially, mobility,  four days is an excellent starter tour of Mexico City. It is a fabulous metropolis requiring 4 x 4 plus days to begin to experience it’s vast richness. And unless you are younger and possessed of prodigious levels of energy you will need recouperative time built into your schedule. Concentrate your visit on a very few select personal interests, art galleries, museums, historical sites, etc., and even being ‘selective’ the array of worthy sights within a catagory can be overwhelming. Best to plan on a greatly extended stay or multiple visits over the coming years.

You need to get room near Coyoacan it use to be the center of Mexico City.  One of the oldest churches in America is there.  It is a beautiful park with many restaurants and things to see.  You can catch a bus in Coyoacan similar to the English open topped buses.     You buy a bracelet and its good for the day.  They take you to many tourist spots and you can get off the bus and stay as long as you want at any of their stops than get on the next one of their buses that comes along.  They have many buses so you seldom have to wait more than 15 minutes. It is a cheap way to see a lot of the leading things to see in Mexico City.  I enjoyed the open top as you can get a really good view of Mexico City.  Bring a hat or wear sun screen! 

• Like 1

I like to stay in Condessa. Check the apartments. I stayed in a nice one on Mazatlan street around 17 or 19 I do not remember  . The restaurant across that building is fabulous, I forget the name but they grow their own veggies and fish is their specialty.. I stayed there on my way back from Paris and the food was way better than what I got in Paris .From there I walked to the flea market on Sunday and galleries. There is also another place within a block that is very good.

4 days is very short . pick a few things you like to do and go back over and over.. I like to stay in a different district and explore that area,

• Thanks 1

I would break it down into three days as follows:  One day Downtown including Belles Artes, Zocalo, National Palace, Cathedral and Temple Mayor; One day Museum of Anthropology; And ond day visit to the pyramids.  Note that Museums are closed on Monday so go to the pyramids on that day. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1