Chapala.com Webboard

Need help to find paint store with color matching machine

Need your help on a paint color issue. We have some paint color swatches and need to match paint to them that would need to be mixed. Are there any paint stores Lakeside with machine that can read my paint sample and analyze it to create a formula, so they can put the correct colors and amounts in the can, such as a typical paint store does NOB? Thanks in advance!

16 minutes ago, Marlayne said:

Need your help on a paint color issue. We have some paint color swatches and need to match paint to them that would need to be mixed. Are there any paint stores Lakeside with machine that can read my paint sample and analyze it to create a formula, so they can put the correct colors and amounts in the can, such as a typical paint store does NOB? Thanks in advance!

You can try the Sherwin Williams store on the west side of Ajijic.  Lake side.

• Like 1

I hope you get lucky but don't hold your breath. I specifically chose colours with formulas so they could be easily duplicated... except that every single can of paint is just ever so slightly OFF from the original. Colour is inside so no sun fading. ARRGGGGHHHH!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ferret said:

I hope you get lucky but don't hold your breath. I specifically chose colours with formulas so they could be easily duplicated... except that every single can of paint is just ever so slightly OFF from the original. Colour is inside so no sun fading. ARRGGGGHHHH!

Same experience not only here but in US too. If you're painting an adjacent entire wall, it'll be ok, but a small patch.. you will need some luck. 

• Like 1

I actually had to teach the guy who runs the local Prisa what a color wheel is and how to use one (I brought him one from Canada). He's a really sweet guy and asked me how I learned how to mix paint. That was after buying some taupe color paint from him that had too much of a pinkish tinge- I brought it back and asked him to put a few drops of green in it to tone down the pink. He told me there wasn't any green in the formula, so was really scared to put it in, as he thought I'd end up even more unhappy with it. I urged him to go ahead, that I'd not hold him responsible. It turned out exactly what I wanted, which is when he asked how I learned that. I told him that to tone down one aspect of the color, you add a little of the opposite color on the color wheel. He'd never heard of a color wheel. 

I find that when looking for a paint color, it's far better to find something which is that color, rather than use paint chips. The chips are so small that it's hard to get a good idea of how it'll look on a large surface. Better to bring in a piece of dishware, a towel, a tile, a book, a piece of fabric that's the color you want- something large enough to really see and match.

• Like 1

On 4/22/2019 at 2:00 PM, RVGRINGO said:

We always had good results at the Comex paint store on Madero, in Chapala. They never missed a match.

I have had tremendous success at Comey in a Ajijic. Not sure how it is now as the young man who worked there and was a genius has left luckily soon after my project was complete.