Chapala.com Webboard

Ilox Update

21 hours ago, tkessler said:

I think Rick makes good points and that there is lots of room for improvement, especially in the  communications. .  Ilox arrival to lakeside, with the large expat population here, has clearly been a learning experience for them.  Once the initial installations are done things should get smoother.  

Tom, I had several reactions to your post, not all positive ones. But in the end, all I could do was to have a good laugh!

There's a whole   $@#$%^&*^  of us expats here in lower San Antonio who will jump at signing up with Ilox.  We all live here year-round and we will be glad to wait at home for an installer to show.

BTW about a month about there were installers on our street (La Paz) and we asked what they were installing, they told us "fiber optiic, from here to Riberas" (in Spanish) but unfortunately my husband didn't catch the company name.  I did go up the hill to TelCel and a rep there told me, after speaking with the manager, that they are going to be putting in the 10 mps service here soon (right now we are lucky if we get 1.5 mps) but we would rather go with Ilox for sure! 

Telcel works in Riberas. At&T does not. But I think Kimanjome meant Telmex. I'm happy that eventually iLox will get to me and give me choices. If nothing else it has been a rude awakening for Telmex and if that makes them get their butts in gear as to better speed and customer service then THAT is the interest on the money "loaned" to iLox and  worth every peso.

I have to say, nobody "loaned" iLox anything. They asked for a financial commitment; they got it, and they are following through. Yeah, so it takes some time. Are we all so entitled that we can't wait without getting annoyed?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

Yeah, so it takes some time. Are we all so entitled that we can't wait without getting annoyed?

But in my senility I'm like a five year old waiting for Christmas.

SunFan

Reading all this I'm glad we decided to wait and see how it goes before switching.  Interestingly our TelMex speed is gradually increasing.  Got 10 down the other day on wifi, a first.  Plenty fast enough for the simple computer work and streaming we do.

• Like 3

Mainecoons, 

Strangely enuf, after i was forced back to Telmex, I am having the same experience. Everything seems to be working much better, the only buffering I am experiencing is when i hook up to my NOB Xfinity. It seems to load slowly and then buffer on and off for about 10 minutes, then work perfectly for the rest of my viewing time.

I don't have a signed contract with Telmex, so I hope that they don't cancel my telephone and internet connection if I should ever have a problem with their service and notify them of the problem.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Tom Kessler your messages are blocked!  Last night our computer went down for 3 hours when Ilox was saying we had an excellent connection with 150mbps,but suddenly at around 6pm we couldn't get anything! We tried to call the Ilox office but it didn't ring and eventually had a busy signal. So our phone doesn't work when the system is down...Today the strength is low and is intermittent in the house--our modem is in the casita within line of sight of the modem and usually works okay, like right now. All diagnostics indicate that it is the problem of the DNS, Ilox. Any reason for this spotty service? Anything we can do if this reoccurs? Is there any tech support after 5pm? We changed over from Telmex to avoid such incidents....

1 hour ago, cafemediterraneo said:

Tom Kessler your messages are blocked!  Last night our computer went down for 3 hours when Ilox was saying we had an excellent connection with 150mbps,but suddenly at around 6pm we couldn't get anything! We tried to call the Ilox office but it didn't ring and eventually had a busy signal. So our phone doesn't work when the system is down...Today the strength is low and is intermittent in the house--our modem is in the casita within line of sight of the modem and usually works okay, like right now. All diagnostics indicate that it is the problem of the DNS, Ilox. Any reason for this spotty service? Anything we can do if this reoccurs? Is there any tech support after 5pm? We changed over from Telmex to avoid such incidents....

Email:    noc@mail.ilox.mx   for support, English or Spanish

@Cafemediterraneo:    Seems there was an outage yesterday.  Ilox uses CFE poles and seems there can be events where they are at the mercy of them.. I don't know this was the case..but over time you can expect them to reinforce the weak points and service should become more reliable.    In most other civilized countries they've long opened the phone company poles to competition to avoid having to use the power poles.  But Telmex has fought that tooth and nail.   Write your MX legislator if you don't like it. 

Sounds like on the signal you are talking about wifi.   The wifi modem in the Ilox router could be better.  Do yourself a favor and turn it off and get some decent access points..or hard wire your casita.  You'll be glad you did.

Angus, that may be the case.

But, there is NO question that  I have received about the same quality of internet service that many here on this board have complained about,

And, there is NO question that Ilox breached the contract. I have posted a copy of it previously. 

Read it. It clearly saysd that no modificarions can be made to the contarct without the consent of both parties.

• Sad 2

You probably should file a complaint with PROFECO to find out if you have further recourse.  It depends on whether or not under Mexican law a vendor can elect to cancel a contract and refund monies.  The contract you posted doesn't state that specifically.

Anyway I don't know if it is because ILOX is diverting a significant amount of TelMex's load but our TelMex internet has sped up to a BLAZING 9-10 megs.  It could also be due to the snowbirds going home too, or both, but in any case it was just in time for the last season of Game of Thrones.  Thank you!  :D

We're going wait and watch and see if the bugs are ironed out before we decide whether to switch.

• Like 2

Mainecoons, To file a compliant with PROFECO really isn't worth it. What would I win if I won? The right to go back to where i don't want to be?

The only reason i would do so would to put the occurance on record so that it can't happen to anyone else in our community.

Re the contract: Not knowing much about Mexican law shouldn't stop one from thinking that no law can exist that allows a contract to be unilateraly negated when it specifically says that both parties must agree to any modification.

• Sad 1

Our Ilox service was connected in late March; since then our Telmex service has increased from about 7 to nearly 20 megs. The Telmex modem software used to indicate 10 as the max download speed; I have tried to fool with this in the past without success. We used to get a bump from 7 to 9 when the snowbirds went home but this time Telmex has changed the speed governor inside their modem software to 20 meg and the download speed has stayed constant at close to 20.

FYI, Ilox fiber optic service through an Asus router running NordVPN on Wifi; Fast.com speedtest is about 30 megs at 2.4 GHz WIFI and 80-90 on 5 GHz; both computers within 15 feet of the Asus router; tells me I need a 5 GHz adapter for my laptop. Speed is slightly faster with VPN turned off.

I have a lot more testing to do but right now the Ilox service seems sleepy (slow to respond and connect to a website) and the Telmex service at 19 megs seems to be quite responsive; on both computers. For these initial tests I have used the same Asus router with NordVPN running plugged into the Telcel modem and Ilox modem. Same opinion on both computers; Ilox seems sleepy.

As I said more testing to be done before my 12 months with Ilox runs out. I never intended to cancel my Telmex service; at least not right away and glad I didn't.

• Like 1

Other than the general outtage yesterday, I have had no problems with my Ilox internet.  I'm getting the speed that the package I signed up for promises.  I'm much happier than I was with Telmex.  Some people seem to forget how many times Telmex would go out, even in good weather!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NLU said:

Mainecoons, To file a compliant with PROFECO really isn't worth it. What would I win if I won? The right to go back to where i don't want to be?

The only reason i would do so would to put the occurance on record so that it can't happen to anyone else in our community.

Re the contract: Not knowing much about Mexican law shouldn't stop one from thinking that no law can exist that allows a contract to be unilateraly negated when it specifically says that both parties must agree to any modification.

Well then you may as well drop it.  You have certainly let this group know of your problems.  Job done.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2