Chapala.com Webboard

Ilox Service

Out1

Ah, yes Pete. The good 'ole days. I was in San Miguel in '97 when a similar point to point service became available. Can't remember exactly what I paid but it was only for one hour of internet for any month... and it wasn't cheap. I'd sign on (what a racket) then quickly download our mail and sign off. We used Eudora to read the mail and reply, then we signed back on to quickly send and sign off again. Mexico has come a long way in 22 years.

58 minutes ago, johanson said:

For those of you who were lakeside in 1997. That was the year that local internet service was first introduced lakeside by Rod Collins. It was, of course, dialup and our dialup was about half as fast as most dialup services. Our download speeds were limited to up to 28.8 bits/sec down. Upload speed was not limited and sometimes we got up to 30 to 35 bits per second up. The name of that internet service provider was Lagunanet. And the monthly cost was $40 US  Now for $389 pesos per month I get some 10 megabits/sec down (10,000,000 bits) and free long distance calling to some 50+ countries frim Telmex.

We were so happy and thought that this 28.8 bits was so fast.  Then came kilobits and now megabits. How the world has changed in the last 20 plus years.

Great guy, Rod and he was cutting edge back then.  Some may remember that you volunteered there in his office frequently and helped us helpless non-techies.  Thanks Pete.

• Sad 1

Pete, I think that your 28.8 bits/sec was actually 28.8k bits/sec.  And yes, I was around when Rod introduced Lagunanet.... the beginning of Internet services at Lakeside.  Rod was ‘ahead of his time’ Lakeside and provided a much needed service. He was great technically but was ‘rough around the edges’ when it came to customer service. Surprise, surprise, a techie not being very user-friendly. 😁   You helped a lot in those days. 

1 hour ago, ComputerGuy said:

describing how it is that Internet browsers are your bottleneck. 

CG. You said that a browser could be your bottleneck. Why use a speed test , like Fast.com, that uses a browser? HAHAHA

47 minutes ago, RickS said:

Pete, I think that your 28.8 bits/sec was actually 28.8k bits/sec.  And yes, I was around when Rod introduced Lagunanet.... the beginning of Internet services at Lakeside.  Rod was ‘ahead of his time’ Lakeside and provided a much needed service. He was great technically but was ‘rough around the edges’ when it came to customer service. Surprise, surprise, a techie not being very user-friendly. 😁   You helped a lot in those days. 

You are correct. It was up to 28.8 Kilobits per second not bits per second. I helped out there in the mornings for about 2.5 to 3 hours per day until about 2011 or 2012. And hey, in return I got free and what I then thought was fast internet. Those were the good old days.

Sounds like there's a lot of figure it out yourself involved or maybe folks are over complicating this? Do they or do they not make sure everything is bueno after installation? As a potential future customer, could someone with knowledge clarify? 

2 hours ago, Heem said:

It's a lot like life. What you see is often a reflection of yourself.

The posts do wander at times, but often travel a humorous route. I personally have learned a tremendous amount over the years.

Only if you know how to sort out the small amount of good advice from the large amount of basura.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, jonnyintrouble said:

That basura you're talking about are people trying to help or people trying to enjoy themselves within the subject matter. 

Think about it.  A guy OPs asking for something, he comes to us asking for something.  Then he doesn't get what he wants.  So anyone along the way who couldn't give him what he wanted becomes garbage.  Well done mama's boy!  

On 4/5/2019 at 9:08 PM, Out1 said:

So is anyone thrilled with Ilox? File download speeds are great; but i find just surfing the web is poor.

Ok, let me give the OP a suggestion.  Have someone on-site investigate the problem instead of everyone in the chat room guessing.

On 4/6/2019 at 3:37 PM, Tiny said:

CG. You said that a browser could be your bottleneck. Why use a speed test , like Fast.com, that uses a browser? HAHAHA

To continue with my answer to the OP, to which your question is now an adjunct: Use a test like speedof.me, which uses no Java or other resource-saddling animation, and therefore is a clean test, and two: browser pages are slow because of the advertising, the tracking, and a myriad of other things, and is not a bottleneck for speed tests. Finally, the longer the test, the less interference and the more realistic the results.

7 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

To continue with my answer to the OP, to which your question is now an adjunct: Use a test like speedof.me, which uses no Java or other resource-saddling animation, and therefore is a clean test, and two: browser pages are slow because of the advertising, the tracking, and a myriad of other things, and is not a bottleneck for speed tests. Finally, the longer the test, the less interference and the more realistic the results.

I was just wondering because I used speedof.me with three different browsers and previously posted the speeds. Which is right?

https://www.chapala.com/webboard/index.php?/topic/82453-ilox-updates/page/2/&tab=comments#comment-608747

13 hours ago, Tiny said:

I was just wondering because I used speedof.me with three different browsers and previously posted the speeds. Which is right?

They all are; traffic changes constantly. Do them several times and see what averages out. Also keep in mind that you will generally get a better result the second and third time, because some of the tests don't clear their own memory "cache" between tests, meaning some of the details are already on your computer and don't need to be loaded again.

I've had Ilox hooked up for about a week now.  I've run several speed tests each day using Fast.com, Speedtest.net and Speedof.me.  It's pretty consistent.  I'm getting 38.5 Mbps download, and 8.75 Mbps upload.  Much better than my old Telmex connection!  I'm very happy with Ilox so far.

22 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

They all are; traffic changes constantly. Do them several times and see what averages out. Also keep in mind that you will generally get a better result the second and third time, because some of the tests don't clear their own memory "cache" between tests, meaning some of the details are already on your computer and don't need to be loaded again.

Those were averages. I know better than run one test.

6 minutes ago, suegarn said:

I've had Ilox hooked up for about a week now.  I've run several speed tests each day using Fast.com, Speedtest.net and Speedof.me.  It's pretty consistent.  I'm getting 38.5 Mbps download, and 8.75 Mbps upload.  Much better than my old Telmex connection!  I'm very happy with Ilox so far.

Glad to hear that you are happy with it.

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Tiny said:

Those were averages. I know better than run one test.

Can't give you any better answer without having my hands on your system. This particular concept is common sense, not tech-heavy. Now that you know your options, I can only recommend you keep at it using my final solution, which is to find a site that will allow you to download huge files, and watch the Windows (or Mac) download indicator. That will always give you the best answer.

Speedof.me already offers this kind of increasing testing. I also like testmy.net for it's extras.