Chapala.com Webboard

International Drivers Permit

windstar

Does anyone have experience with applying for an International Drivers Permit for their Mexican Licence.  I have the AMA site in Mex City.  They do not give the cost.  Other IDP's can be for 2 or 3 years.  This one appears to be only good for 1 year.   Any hints/ info appreciated

They are a waste of time and money. They are not a stand-alone license, just a translation of what your regular license says. You would still need your primary license.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Driving_Permit

5 minutes ago, AngusMactavish said:

They are a waste of time and money. They are not a stand-alone license, just a translation of what your regular license says. You would still need your primary license.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Driving_Permit

I agree.  However, Great Britain requires an IDP to go along with my Mex Lic.   Hertz will not rent without seeing it.   I ran into the same problem in Italy.  Many Euro countries are following suit.

We have needed them in Italy (not always, depends on rental company I guess) and Spain.  Never asked for them in Germany, England, Ireland or Scotland (though we get one before we leave US for EU).  In the US, we get them at AAA.  Valid for 365 days, and yes you need to have valid DL also. 

Have rented cars in other places in MEX and never asked for IDP.  

41 minutes ago, Bisbee Gal said:

We have needed them in Italy (not always, depends on rental company I guess) and Spain.  Never asked for them in Germany, England, Ireland or Scotland (though we get one before we leave US for EU).  In the US, we get them at AAA.  Valid for 365 days, and yes you need to have valid DL also. 

Have rented cars in other places in MEX and never asked for IDP.  

I do not need it for Mexico - I have my Mexican Lic.  It is required by law in Great Britain.  At times the rental company will rent to you without it but if you are stopped or in an accident you are in big do do.  I know how to get it in USA - I was looking for expertise in Mexico

This week I reserved a car with British Car Rental.  This was a FAQ on their website:

Do I need an international driver's licence?

FAQ Answer
If your licence is not printed in the Roman alphabet (i.e. Arabic, Greek, Russian or Chinese) you will need to bring an international driving licence and your domestic licence.

On 4/5/2019 at 7:44 PM, d-d said:

This week I reserved a car with British Car Rental.  This was a FAQ on their website:

Do I need an international driver's licence?

FAQ Answer
If your licence is not printed in the Roman alphabet (i.e. Arabic, Greek, Russian or Chinese) you will need to bring an international driving licence and your domestic licence.

Then I guess if you have a valid MX licence you do not have to have a IDL...correct??

On 4/5/2019 at 3:29 PM, windstar said:

Does anyone have experience with applying for an International Drivers Permit for their Mexican Licence.  I have the AMA site in Mex City.  They do not give the cost.  Other IDP's can be for 2 or 3 years.  This one appears to be only good for 1 year.   Any hints/ info appreciated

I'd be interested in a response to the OP's original question. Whether or not you think one is necessary, I know one is necessary for a long term car rental I intend to make in Europe and I would be most interested in how to get one here as I no longer have an NOB license, only Mexican.

i had to get one when i rented a car three years in new york city

the car rental agency would not honor a Mexican drivers licenses with a US passport, said i must have a Mexican passport.

so applied for a international drivers permit was  expensive  through mexico city. through local travel agency

But then i was able to rent car,was happy, was able travel all around new york and new jersey.

IN the US its only a small fee in you have AAA, here it was over $150 dollars.

I was prudent and wanted no problems on my trip.

in  some states it appears they will rent a car with a Mexican drivers licenses and US passport