Chapala.com Webboard

Notary in Ajijic?

ezpz

A US Notary may not legally act outside of their home jurisdiction and, if they do cheat, your document could be challenged.  You should use a Notario, who is a specialized Mexican attorney with state authorization to notarize, and is recognized, by treaty, in the USA; even if your USA folks are not aware of it.

We have sold property in the USA and used a Mexican Notario for the notarization of the documents. 

Keep it legal.  Don't let a US notary do the 'wink and pretend you are in Kansas' scam, and charge you 500 pesos for being an accomplice.

• Like 1

I think any document to be notarized by a Notario needs to be translated to Spanish. But I am not sure.

The US Consulate in GDL has a US notary. I don't know if their notary goes to Lakeside when they visit.

There are on-line US notary services. I have not use one.

I don't know anything if you need a notary for Canada.

5 minutes ago, Tiny said:

The US Consulate in GDL has a US notary. I don't know if their notary goes to Lakeside when they visit.

Yes, they come with a notary every month with the next trip on April 10th. Be sure to read this before you come:  https://mx.usembassy.gov/embassy-consulates/guadalajara/lake-chapalaajijic-services/

Lots of info but not what the OP was looking for. The closest to Ajijic is Notary #2 in San Antonio. He is located one block up (mountain side) from the carretera opposite the Sunrise Restaurant. There are green awnings all along the front of that plaza.... if you are coming from the west and you see those awnings turn left just before them.

Luis Enrique Ramos Bustillo 765-5071 . The phone will be answered in Spanish but nearly everyone in that office speaks English even the receptionist. Phone and ask your questions.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Ferret said:

Lots of info but not what the OP was looking for. The closest to Ajijic is Notary #2 in San Antonio. He is located one block up (mountain side) from the carretera opposite the Sunrise Restaurant. There are green awnings all along the front of that plaza.... if you are coming from the west and you see those awnings turn left just before them.

Luis Enrique Ramos Bustillo 765-5071 . The phone will be answered in Spanish but nearly everyone in that office speaks English even the receptionist. Phone and ask your questions.

US Notary?

Gracias, Ferret.  Of course I was assuming the notary would be Mexican since we are here in Mexico!  All they have to do is witness my signing a simple document from PERS confirming that I am still alive, very simple, I already have the document.  I have found that most professional Mexicans speak English, and I have already confirmed with PERS that a MX notary is OK.  There is no one in Ajijic? 

San Antonio Tlayacapan abuts Ajijic. 

There is no requirement that the document be translated into Spanish; they are just notarizing your signature, not the contents.

Now you know that Ajijic is not the center of the Universe, but only a tiny village within the boundaries of Chapala; as are the villages of San Antonio & many others.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

The mail service which we used for a couple years did the incoming packages like this:  The package went to the Laredo address.  It was a drop office. We went there once to pick an item up on our way into the country.  The small 10 x 10 space  had some shelves and one table and the room was a mess of opened boxes,  pieces parts of items strewn about and cast off packaging thrown in the corner.  Once the girl opened the box she took the  item in its sales package and put it in a suit case.  She was paid to do only one suitcase a week.The suitcase went across the border into N. Laredo in her mothers vehicle as personal belongings.  On the N. Laredo side the items were packaged into a cardboard moving box and sent by post to family in Guadalajara.  Then it was brought by car into Ajijic and unloaded onto the shelves in the mail service office.  Every item had to have a cost invoice and the duty was a standard % of the item cost. The standard percentage was negotiable depending on who you were, how many friends you had using the service and how much you brought in thru the service.

• Confused 2

22 hours ago, Ferret said:

I just tried that # after going to the print shop to print out my document and return home.  that is a wrong # !  But, by cosmic synchronicity, I ran into a friend (while walking back from the print shop) that was familiar with that notary and recommended him and confirmed the general location.  A Mexicana recommended a couple others in Chapala.  So I will wing it with a taxi, I think I know where you are talking about, just above Century 21 Real estate, no?  Gracias!

• 2 years later...

Hola again.  I have the same question I did a couple of years ago.  This is NOT over a real estate transaction, I simply need to have a document notarized, nada mas.  Can anyone give me a current reference to a Notario, preferably in Ajijic, who can do this?  The form is very simple and is in English, I could translate it to the Notario but he/she does not have to do anything but sign.  Gracias, buen dia!

Any Mexican Notario can do that for you. By internatioal agreements, it is perfectly legal in the USA. However, an expat from the USA, who may still have a US State's notary stamp, is not legal outside of his US state. Beware of them, as using them could be challenged. Also; do not make the mistake of asking the US entity if they will accept a Mexican notary, as there is no such thing. A Mexican notario is a specialized, state appointed attorney who deals with wills, real estate and other such personal matters; not criminal cases. Folks in the US won't understand the difference. Just visit the notario of your choice and send it off. We have done that for real estate and other US transactions. Never a problem!

36 minutes ago, RVGRINGO said:

A US notary and a Mexican notario are very different. The Mexican Notario is a very highly qualified and specialized attorney.

Yes, I'm well aware that the term notary encompasses different things in Mexico than the US. For instance, Mexican notaries, rather than lawyers, handling property sales. 

But to say that notaries don't exist in Mexico is absurd and yes, they can notarize documents.

On 3/28/2019 at 1:01 PM, Ferret said:

There is a notario at the entrance of Villa Nova.This is the one I use.

• Like 1

I know that too. But, the one in San Antonio is probaby still closer to him. Hard to say because he didn't say where in Ajijic he's located. There are no notarios in Ajijic itself. It's going to be a taxi ride to either of them for him... or a friend with a car. Traffic is horrendous unless it's an appointment made as soon as either office opens.