Chapala.com Webboard

New Fiber Optic Cable

Ezzie

I saw some guys installing fiber optic cable on the Telmex poles just east of Foccacia Restaurant near San Juan Tecomatlan this morning.  I asked one of the workers who they are stringing cable for - his response was phonetically "y fibra".  He said it was for internet and TV services.  Not sure of the spelling of the company name.  Anyone heard of this outfit and where to locate them?

7 hours ago, Ezzie said:

I saw some guys installing fiber optic cable on the Telmex poles just east of Foccacia Restaurant near San Juan Tecomatlan this morning.  I asked one of the workers who they are stringing cable for - his response was phonetically "y fibra".  He said it was for internet and TV services.  Not sure of the spelling of the company name.  Anyone heard of this outfit and where to locate them?

Meaning I fiber. I got the same answer, as did others, here in Riberas and elsewhere. They are contractors and have probably been told either to keep their mouths shut, or haven't been told at all who they are working for. TelMex is stringing fiber, too... last I heard, in Chapala and moving west. That was from a TelMex installer.

Can you confirm they are really stringing fiber on Telmex poles and not CFE poles?  If Telmex poles then must be Telmex or an affiliate...Send a picture. 

If you google iFibra, you will see that google says it is a cable company in Mexico City.  I talked to the guys installing it outside Coppel a couple weeks ago and they told me it was for iFibra also and that Illox was a different company all together.  But when you google it, there isn't much information about them.  Maybe, they are  new company.

1 hour ago, tkessler said:

Can you confirm they are really stringing fiber on Telmex poles and not CFE poles?  If Telmex poles then must be Telmex or an affiliate...Send a picture. 

I haven't seen it or taken note of any; who knows?

20 hours ago, tkessler said:

The contractors are stringing the cable on both CFE poles and Telmex poles.

That is bizarre...As far as I know:

- Telmex doesn't allow anyone to use their poles except for Telmex service...If iFibra is using Telmex poles then 99% likely they are a Telmex contractor..

- If fiber is put on CFE poles, then royalties must be paid to CFE..They do an annual census and bill whoever owns those...  

All that said, things change so quickly here maybe there are new arrangements happening...i.e. 3rd parties using Telmex infrastructure or even Telmex putting fiber on CFE..I don't know...what I do know is more fiber in Ajijic (by whoever) = better quality of life at lakeside...So I wish all the best!

Thanks for the lead.  Their website is www.iFibramx.com.  They show a local office in Ocotlan.  Some really nice packages on their website.  May be a solution for those of us in Chapala and east along the Carretera to Mezcala.

iFibra

Reforma No. 216 Col. Centro, Ocotlan

Tel: 392-925-0718

Slim's construction company, no?  They were working on the box on the corner of the carretera and Marcos Castellanos this afternoon.  They have worked on the box at the NW corner of 5 de Febrero and the carretera.  Maybe the threat of some real competition has stirred Telmex to do something.

24 minutes ago, bournemouth said:

They have worked on the box at the NW corner of 5 de Febrero and the carretera.  

I live up the street from that box and over the last month Telmex has degraded from 7mb to 5 and now barely 3. They ought to feel threatened if that's the best they can do.

13 minutes ago, John Shrall said:

I live up the street from that box and over the last month Telmex has degraded from 7mb to 5 and now barely 3. They ought to feel threatened if that's the best they can do.

I do too, and I am still at about 5 down and.69 up.  Never seem to get off those numbers although my neighbor gets 8 down.

On 3/29/2019 at 1:41 PM, AngusMactavish said:

Up to 15 megas, woohoo, Telmex is way faster here in Chapala.

8149668752.png

PS, this is with WiFi located on the other side of the house.

Only immediately around the plaza.  10 mbps everywhere else.

• 1 month later...

I had a tech from Ilox at my house yesterday adding the TV feature to my already completed Ilox installation. Really nice guy and knows what he is doing. In chatting with him he said that he is looking forward to going "home" to see his family this weekend. He is from Ocotlan so the tie to iFibra based there seems to make sense.

So much fake news here! I started the first thread about IFibra many months ago when they were stringing cable a block from my house In SAT and got the name of the company and posted it. All the know-it-all's here rushed to say they were a contractor for ILox, so as soon as they opened their office in Ajijic I rushed in like a dummy and handed over my money. They said "good to go in 2 months". That was 3 months ago and a few days ago I went in to inquire and the now say "2 more months". I have  tried calling that # posted here for IFibra many times but nobody answers. If they are real and have the cable strung, I do not see ILox coming here soon or ever. In the meantime I am stuck with Telmex, ILox has my money and I am sure it will cost me a pretty penny to cancel them and all because I listened to the blabbermouths here postulating, speculating and simply spouting off about something they know nothing about. Just read this thread and you will understand what I am talking about and this is by no means the only subject that has this same nonsense. Sometimes it is harmless blather but other times it can cost people real money, time and stress. Just the facts folks...please.

Gringohombre...you just need to calm down and chill.  Ilox is here to stay, your money is safe, and their service is great.  The only challenge they have now is too much demand, their crews are working San Juan Cosala now and they´ll head over to Riberas / SAT when they finish.  There are at least 100 people waiting for installs in SAT and capacity has been reserved for them, on what possible basis are you saying they're not coming?     The bigger issue now is their initial capex investment in the expensive concentrator is starting to max out, so they've got to do another round of capex, which will probably push out the recent sign ups a couple of months. 

• Thanks 1